Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
my english isn't the best, but are we sure that "fibula" is a bone in the body and not like a violin?

Admittedly it would be odd if he brought a stringed instrument to the ice and it was broken by a shot, just wants to be sure.

The picture in my mind of this is just incredible, thank you Ola :laugh:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
i think the key concern is regarding whether it's a non-displaced or a displaced fracture.

and if there is ligament damage.

But yes, displacement of the bone at the ankle (which is where it seems this injury has occurred) does complicate things.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@AGrossRecord: Derek Stepan has never missed an NHL regular season game since joining Rangers for 2010-11 season.”

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
This could have been WAY worse. A fractured fibula will heal in 6 weeks or less. The rehab will be about another 4 - 6 weeks assuming its a clean fracture.

Brassard -> Miller -> Hayes ??

Lets hope for a speedy recovery

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This could have been WAY worse. A fractured fibula will heal in 6 weeks or less. The rehab will be about another 4 - 6 weeks assuming its a clean fracture.

Brassard -> Miller -> Hayes ??

Lets hope for a speedy recovery

Moore.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Some need to step away from the ledge here. Lindberg has looked really good thus far and had a strong finish in Hartford last year. He would be my candidate over Hayes. I'd like Hayes to get a little adjustment time in the AHL to start. However, there is a lot of preseason left and Hayes certainly got better as the game went on against the Devils. The Rangers are fortunate to have some of the best prospect depth, if not the best, they have had in years. Guys with talent and ability that were on the cusp of making the NHL full time anyways. It is good to have for times like these.

We also have the veteran Lombardi.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Injuries happen. It stinks but at least it's a bone and not a ligament.

So either Lombardi/Moore are 3 and 4C, or at best Miller and Lindberg are 3 and 4 C.

Maybe Duclair gets < 9 games in.

Nash will get more PP time regardless.

Maybe Fast makes the team and takes Steps PK time.

Lotsa options. They'll be ok.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
It looks as though Brass and Miller will be 1-2, Lindberg/Hayes will be given the chance to grab the #3 role, but if they don't, it will be Moore and thats just fine.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Also if this was ailing Stepan before, why didn't they send him for a MRI just to be safe?

Not sure it would have mattered to the outcome, if they detected a fracture before or they know its fractured now.

Unless this time it was displaced or he tore a ligament, the recovery period is going to be roughly the same. A difference of a week or two tops.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some need to step away from the ledge here. Lindberg has looked really good thus far and had a strong finish in Hartford last year. He would be my candidate over Hayes. I'd like Hayes to get a little adjustment time in the AHL to start. However, there is a lot of preseason left and Hayes certainly got better as the game went on against the Devils. The Rangers are fortunate to have some of the best prospect depth, if not the best, they have had in years. Guys with talent and ability that were on the cusp of making the NHL full time anyways. It is good to have for times like these.

We also have the veteran Lombardi.

Yep. Without Stepan, even if it's for like 10 weeks, the team is still deep enough up front, and good enough on defense and between the pipes, to be a competitive, winning team. If they want to get back to the Cup, yeah they need Step, but I think they can cope without him for a month or two. We're not suddenly a terrible team without him. Our strengths are still strengths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad