Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Rangers have enough talent on this roster to get by 15-25 games if that's what Stepan is out for. When he is ready to return the rangers will be in a playoff spot. Nash, Kreider, Zucc, Brassard, Hagelin, MSL. 6 forwards right there that will impact the scoring. I think Hagelin breaks out a little this year. Not to mention who knows what you get from Miller, Malone, Stempniak.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Not sure it would have mattered to the outcome, if they detected a fracture before or they know its fractured now.

Unless this time it was displaced or he tore a ligament, the recovery period is going to be roughly the same. A difference of a week or two tops.

I doubt it was as bad. Stepan could walk on it, but now is riving in pain. At the very least you save Stepan some anguish.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Rangers have enough talent on this roster to get by 15-25 games if that's what Stepan is out for. When he is ready to return the rangers will be in a playoff spot. Nash, Kreider, Zucc, Brassard, Hagelin, MSL. 6 forwards right there that will impact the scoring. I think Hagelin breaks out a little this year. Not to mention who knows what you get from Miller, Malone, Stempniak.

That's exactly right. We have enough offense talent to keep ourselves afloat. And everyone needs to remember:

1. We still have a great defensive corps
2. We still have an elite goaltender

Even without Derek Stepan, I think we're a .500 club at worst.

Championship*

As someone said earlier, you never want an injury to happen but I suppose if theres a better time for one to happen its now and not later. NYR will have to tread water for awhile or make a move if there's one out there to be made if it becomes dire. You certainly can't make the playoffs in October but you don't want to be playing catch-up either.

Hayes, Miller, Lindberg, Lombardi

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
4-6 weeks says AV

Sounds like its not displaced and no ligament damage. Im still sticking with the 2 month projection.

Not saying this injury was the best case scenario, but its not anywhere near as bad as it could have been

20ish games he will miss.

Championship*

Sounds like its not displaced and no ligament damage. Im still sticking with the 2 month projection.

Not saying this injury was the best case scenario, but its not anywhere near as bad as it could have been

Just want to add to that that was AV's estimation as to a timetable based on his past experience.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord · 2m
AV says Derek Stepan had a third X-ray on his leg/foot this morning and everything checked out. He was feeling good.

Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord · 2m
AV says in his experience, injury like Derek Stepan suffered today is usually a 4-6 week absence. Team will have more later today.

Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord · 1m
AV says moving Dominic Moore up to fill a top two center spot is definitely under consideration. "We've got a lot to sort out," AV said.

SupersonicMonkey*

Some need to step away from the ledge here. Lindberg has looked really good thus far and had a strong finish in Hartford last year. He would be my candidate over Hayes. I'd like Hayes to get a little adjustment time in the AHL to start. However, there is a lot of preseason left and Hayes certainly got better as the game went on against the Devils. The Rangers are fortunate to have some of the best prospect depth, if not the best, they have had in years. Guys with talent and ability that were on the cusp of making the NHL full time anyways. It is good to have for times like these.

We also have the veteran Lombardi.

I don't necessarily disagree. But, we were going into the season with those guys competing for a spot behind Stepan and Brassard. Now they are competing for #2 center.

If Stepan is out for about 20 games, that's about a quarter of the season, that is enough time to dig a hole too large to climb out of.

I realize most teams in our division have injuries to marquee players, but we should strive to be better.

Honestly, I would look to deal from a position of strength to fill a position of need. Staal for a center. Conor Allen fills in on the left side and he and Moore split the ice time.

Otherwisewe are looking at:

Brassard
Miller
Hayes/Lindberg/Lombardi
Moore

Stepan was never a burner of a skater. And this injury will keep him from being able to keep his game shape. He will miss a lot of games, and then have to build his stamina and physical strength. He may not be himself until very late in the season.

This is a tricky situation.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
That's exactly right. We have enough offense talent to keep ourselves afloat. And everyone needs to remember:

I disagree.

Brassard flourished because of the sheltered minutes and zone starts he got. We can't just dump all of the defensive responsibilities Stepan had on the 4th line. I would've probably been okay with that, if it was still Boyle-Moore-Dorsett.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

You haven't personally evaluated Stepan. None of us have. I don't see a good reason why we'd doubt the team's projection. The only reason one would double the team doctor's estimated timeline is because they're guarding against disappointment. The pessimism around this place is contagious, and really tiring.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
4-6 weeks just like initially reported. The sky isn't falling. Could have been much worse.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Agreed. Again...you consider Miller, Stemp, and if Malone can do what he did the other night against NJ then you have a 9 forwards that can and will produce. Dom Moore is no slouch either.

But the key is the Rangers defense which I regard as potentially the best 6 in the East. Certainly better than PIT, NJ, NYI, OTT, TOR, PHI, CAR, BUF, MTL, WAS (even with their two big additions), FLA. I think they are better than TBL and DET, though I like those two teams. BOS challenges them for the best defense.

And then there is Henrik.

I see the lines as this if it is Lindberg:

Kreider-Miller-MSL
Nash-Brass-Zucc
Hagelin-Lindberg-Stempniak
Malone-Moore-Glass
Lombardi

If it is Hayes (1A and 1B line):

Nash-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Hayes-MSL
Hagelin-Miller-Stemp
Malone-Moore-Glass

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Don't downplay Lombardi's chances here. He is a skilled player. When he came to the Preds there was a real sense of excitement over his offensive abilities. Injuries, of course, have derailed his whole career.

If he is healthy (a big if) and can still perform (also an if), he may be the perfect short term answer here. It would be a big responsibility to plug a first year pro like Hayes into what is essentially our first line.

When we signed Lombardi, I looked at him as our "wild card" player, possibly able to fit in anywhere if needed. His experience in the NHL may give him a leg up here. If we were talking a 2nd or 3rd line center vacancy, I would absolutely say we should go with Hayes, Miller, or Linberg. But 1st line center is a big deal. If healthy, Lombardi could possibly hold down the fort until November. Absolutely give Hayes a shot here in preseason, but if this is to much, consider Lombardi.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
You haven't personally evaluated Stepan. None of us have. I don't see a good reason why we'd doubt the team's projection.

Neither have the doctors, at this point. That 4-6 week was just AV talking about his experience.

personally, I would rather think of it as a 2 month injury and hope it goes even better than think of it as a one month injury then constantly be asking why he isnt ready yet.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If it is a minor fracture, he will return in 6 weeks. If it involves damage to other bones, soft tissue, nerves or blood vessels, he won't be back until the playoffs.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't necessarily disagree. But, we were going into the season with those guys competing for a spot behind Stepan and Brassard. Now they are competing for #2 center.

If Stepan is out for about 20 games, that's about a quarter of the season, that is enough time to dig a hole too large to climb out of.

I realize most teams in our division have injuries to marquee players, but we should strive to be better.

Honestly, I would look to deal from a position of strength to fill a position of need. Staal for a center. Conor Allen fills in on the left side and he and Moore split the ice time.

Otherwisewe are looking at:

Brassard
Miller
Hayes/Lindberg/Lombardi
Moore

Stepan was never a burner of a skater. And this injury will keep him from being able to keep his game shape. He will miss a lot of games, and then have to build his stamina and physical strength. He may not be himself until very late in the season.

This is a tricky situation.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I refuse to deal from the position of strength, defense. The "knock" on the rangers during the years when they went to the ECF against the Devils and the SCF last year was that they didn't have a true number one center/great center depth. And yet they had success. Why? Because of their defense and goaltending. I am not willing to alter those two aspects of our team when that has been our backbone.

Lindberg was close as it was. Hayes we are still getting a feel for. Let them play. Miller has looked really good. Let them play. The Rangers have enough talent around those guys that they will not 'dig themselves a hole in the standings.'

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
4-6 weeks would be great since 2 weeks of that is preseason.

Well crap happens so they gotta deal with it. Kids need to step up. May be a blessing if one runs with it

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I disagree.

Brassard flourished because of the sheltered minutes and zone starts he got. We can't just dump all of the defensive responsibilities Stepan had on the 4th line. I would've probably been okay with that, if it was still Boyle-Moore-Dorsett.

Which part of my statement do you disagree with?

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Neither have the doctors, at this point. That 4-6 week was just AV talking about his experience.

I should read more often before I post. :laugh:

That being said, if AV is guessing 4-6 weeks, then it's not abnormally severe, at least.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Which part of my statement do you disagree with?

That we're a .500 club at worst without Stepan.

I think we'd get eviscerated in the matchups game. None of our centers sans Moore have a real defensive game. I might be overestimating Stepan's impact, but I'm not sure we're a playoff team without him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That really blows.

It's an opportunity though for Miller, Lindberg or Hayes to really make a statement. An opportunity for Lombardi to get his career back. An opportunity for Mueller to show he's NHL worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad