Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I should read more often before I post. :laugh:

That being said, if AV is guessing 4-6 weeks, then it's not abnormally severe, at least.

No, thats what I took from his projections, sounds like thus far they havent seen anything to suspect ligament damage, and doesnt sound like its displaced.

I would personally keep to a 2 month time table and hope to see him quicker than say its one month and be upset that it takes him longer than that.

But either way, you are in that range.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
4-6 weeks would be great since 2 weeks of that is preseason.

Well crap happens so they gotta deal with it. Kids need to step up. May be a blessing if one runs with it

I agree, and I'd rather see an injury now than later. I won't sit here and underestimate the role of NHL centers, but maybe running with fresh legs and hope they can keep up can be no worse than last years start. IMO, our leg up defensively, right off the bat, is more important than the offense, which will be a work in progress all year if the PP isn't the key factor.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I'll be interested to see how this affects the lines. Will AV breakup the lines we thought we'd see or just plug somebody into Step's spot?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I'll be interested to see how this affects the lines. Will AV breakup the lines we thought we'd see or just plug somebody into Step's spot?

Im not sure any of us thought there were set lines.

Maybe a couple pairs, particularly Brass + Zuccs and Step + Kreids, but that was it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That we're a .500 club at worst without Stepan.

I think we'd get eviscerated in the matchups game. None of our centers sans Moore have a real defensive game. I might be overestimating Stepan's impact, but I'm not sure we're a playoff team without him.

Outside of possibly your goaltender, I don't know that any one player on an NHL club is important enough to be able to transform a team with real Cup hopes into a team that misses the playoffs entirely (or vice-versa).

I mean, time will tell, and it depends on the composition of the roster in his absence--maybe Lindberg makes the team now to help defensively, and excels--but I don't think the loss is quite as catastrophic as it looks at first blush. Two of our three units are still excellent.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Outside of possibly your goaltender, I don't know that any one player on an NHL club is important enough to be able to transform a team with real Cup hopes into a team that misses the playoffs entirely (or vice-versa).

Toews

SupersonicMonkey*

I wholeheartedly disagree. I refuse to deal from the position of strength, defense. The "knock" on the rangers during the years when they went to the ECF against the Devils and the SCF last year was that they didn't have a true number one center/great center depth. And yet they had success. Why? Because of their defense and goaltending. I am not willing to alter those two aspects of our team when that has been our backbone.

Lindberg was close as it was. Hayes we are still getting a feel for. Let them play. Miller has looked really good. Let them play. The Rangers have enough talent around those guys that they will not 'dig themselves a hole in the standings.'

I personally feel the knocks were false, though, regarding Stepan as a #1. He is a #1. He is still young and yet to reach his prime years. He has elite defense for a forward, and he could be a 60+ point player in his prime. He is a leader on and off the ice.

Its unlikely we make a trade, so i hope the kids step up big, but missing our most important forward for a quarter of the season, maybe more when considering he will need time to get into game shape.

Staal may not be here beyond the trade deadline anyway. Its a possibility.

You would be ok with two rookie centers, one as a #2 center, but wouldn't be ok with a rookie as a #4 defenseman?

Miller was a lock to begin with, IMO, but now its in stone. Now Hayes and Lindberg just got a huge opportunity to grab a spot.

Wonder now if that Kreider-Hayes connection stays together.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I still disagree. If you're in the NHL finals, it's because you have depth at multiple positions and get contributions from most (if not all) of the 20-some-odd guys on your team. I think one guy can be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs, or an early exit and a real run at things, but not between no playoffs and the finals. Maybe in the NBA, but not in the NHL.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
You would be ok with two rookie centers, one as a #2 center, but wouldn't be ok with a rookie as a #4 defenseman?

Very much doubt Miller plays C as a top 6, at least not to start.

Lets not forget in the playoffs when Step was out Moore was the one centering the first line.

You would hope Miller takes advantage of the opportunity he has here and makes his case to play top 6, if he does so, then yes, I am ok with him playing there.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Honestly, I would look to deal from a position of strength to fill a position of need. Staal for a center. Conor Allen fills in on the left side and he and Moore split the ice time.

That position of strength is already weaker by swapping Stralman for Boyle. Trading Staal right now is a bad idea, but we may be forced to at some point if he doesn't re-sign. However, if we do trade him, we need to get a dman back. I don't trust either Allen or Moore playing 2nd pair minutes alongside an already defensively suspect Boyle.

Using Staal to try to grab a top 6 center right now is totally reactionary and not a move we should be making. Stepan will be back. We can survive just fine until then. Do you remember how poorly we started last year? Despite that, we managed to not only make the playoffs, but make it to the SCF. Players just need to elevate their game until Stepan returns.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That really blows.

It's an opportunity though for Miller, Lindberg or Hayes to really make a statement. An opportunity for Lombardi to get his career back. An opportunity for Mueller to show he's NHL worthy.

This... We have DEPTH for this reason.

This sucks, but if our projected #2 Centermen can play like #2 Centermen, we'll be fine. 4-6 weeks also means only 1 month of the season, which is about 12-14 games.

It'll be similar to last years start, unfortunately, minus the road travel.

I would hope that Kreider and Hayes get some additional time together. Could see a Kreider-Hayes/Miller-MSL line working as a bonafide #2 Line.

Nash-Brass-Zucc instantly become the first line. It's going to be interesting

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I personally feel the knocks were false, though, regarding Stepan as a #1. He is a #1. He is still young and yet to reach his prime years. He has elite defense for a forward, and he could be a 60+ point player in his prime. He is a leader on and off the ice.

Its unlikely we make a trade, so i hope the kids step up big, but missing our most important forward for a quarter of the season, maybe more when considering he will need time to get into game shape.

Staal may not be here beyond the trade deadline anyway. Its a possibility.

Miller was a lock to begin with, IMO, but now its in stone. Now Hayes and Lindberg just got a huge opportunity to grab a spot.

Wonder now if that Kreider-Hayes connection stays together.

I think Staal is given his extension at some point this season.

I don't consider Miller a rookie. He is by the league standards. But he has played enough NHL games that he has a feel for the NHL level. Hence why he showed up to camp looking good this year. He got the message by not showing up early last year. He worked on his game over the summer because he knew what it would take to be a regular based on his experiences up with the big club. He has top 6 potential.

Hayes is 22 years old. 4 years of NCAA under his belt. If he is the #3 center it is because he earned it. He has the size to play in the NHL. I would be ok with him in that spot.

Lindberg played in the SEL with grown men and was successful before turning pro. He now has a full year playing pro in NA. He finished strong in Hartford. All the reports on his defensive game are very comforting. I would be ok with him as well.

You also have Dom Moore as a safety net if you want to flip Moore with Lindberg for 3C.

This is the benefit of having developed your prospects properly, making the right acquisitions, and having good competition in camp. The Rangers have the right presence around these young guys to be successful

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
****. Mother****er. God damn ****ing ****.

Brass, Miller, and all the other C's need to step up BIG.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i get a good feeling about Brassard, especially in Steps absence... Guy is a player, and knows what to do when.

AngelicAssassin*

I can see the smiles on the faces of our rival fans, and thats what pisses me off most. The joy in their stomachs as they realize our top center has gone down.

The fact that you can make a post like this likely means you are one who rejoices when a rival team's player is injured.

For me personally when something like this happens, the person isn't wearing a jersey. He's just a person trying to make a living. The thought you expressed never even crossed my mind.

Hopefully Derek Stepan is back to full health sooner than later and there are no complications. I revel in the skill he displays on the ice regardless of the uniform he wears or who he plays for or against and regardless of how he fares against the team I cheer for.

Some people here need to grow up.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
People, RELAX.

Miller looks every bit like a guy taken 15 overall, he makes the team and contributes. And unless Mon was a mirage, Hayes has shown he already can play with the big boys, most of whom he is bigger than already.

AGAIN, LIKE I HAVE SAID FOR MONTHS NOW,
it is less important to get wrapped up on a label (1st, 2nd, 3rd line).
It is more important to maximize effectiveness of line by either complementary different skills, which is typical, or in the case where you have an extreme advantage coupled with basic excellence, to go for synergy.

So
Kreider-Hayes - Nash (unless/til we ship Nash out anyway just because of the salary cap).
______ - Brass - Zuc work very well
Hagelin - Miller - MSL = warp speed, up the wazu speed on the Ws.
______ - D. Moore/Lindberg -______ = solid 4th line pivots

Just have to figure out where to use Malone, if Glass is your 4th LW, Stempniak looks like the 4th RW.

Championship*

The fact that you can make a post like this likely means you are one who rejoices when a rival team's player is injured.

For me personally when something like this happens, the person isn't wearing a jersey. He's just a person trying to make a living. The thought you expressed never even crossed my mind.

Hopefully Derek Stepan is back to full health sooner than later and there are no complications. I revel in the skill he displays on the ice regardless of the uniform he wears or who he plays for or against and regardless of how he fares against the team I cheer for.

Some people here need to grow up.

Amen to this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad