Injury Report: Derek Stepan (11/6: Will return Saturday)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Sucks. But still preferable to what some were speculating (ACL/MCL).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, gonna be interesting what they do...I would think it's kind of too late to be trading for a center and it'd be hard to get one to replace him anyways

Likely this means that Hayes, Lindberg, and Lombardi just got an open roster spot to compete for.

Honestly I'm leaning towards Lindberg winning the spot and playing a kind of 3rd/4th line center role depending on the situation

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He has the best medical care / treatment money can buy. It's not as severe as other bones, and isn't a Paul George type of injury. I would say a month is best case, two months worst case.

Lets hope for nothing more than two months.

they also put more stress on their bones than the average person.

2-3 months. Thats what the recovery is in the NFL. 8-12 weeks.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'd 100% sign up for two months. Big blow but we also played without Callahan, Hagelin, and Nash for an extended period of time early last season. After what I read earlier, I was afraid it was a torn ACL and a season ender so I'm very happy it's only this. End of the day, two months at the beginning of the season isn't the end of the world if that's the case.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Yeah, gonna be interesting what they do...I would think it's kind of too late to be trading for a center and it'd be hard to get one to replace him anyways

Likely this means that Hayes, Lindberg, and Lombardi just got an open roster spot to compete for.

Honestly I'm leaning towards Lindberg winning the spot and playing a kind of 3rd/4th line center role depending on the situation

Well, the market for centers just went WAAAAAY up.

Jordan Staal last night, Stepan today.

Any team looking to trade one of their centers has to be happy as a pig in **** right now.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Nancy_Kerrigan_Biography_2.jpg

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I broke my fibula and tibia, playing hockey, right around this time when I was in 8th grade and was in a cast for 3 months.

Depends on the severity, and Stepan only broke one bone and it is the smaller bone. Either way at least it was not a joint injury and doesn't (shouldn't) require surgery.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Per Gross...

UPDATE: The Rangers announced at 12:30 that Stepan suffered a broken left fibula and is currently being examined by doctors. There is no immediate timetable for how long he’ll be out but the team said it would have an update later today. It is believed this injury is related to an initial injury suffered blocking a shot during an informal skate on Sept. 9. Today’s break is in the same spot as where the puck hit his leg blocking that shot on Sept. 9.

MetalGodAOD*

This sucks but definitely could be worse. Grats on making the team JT

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Per Gross...

UPDATE: The Rangers announced at 12:30 that Stepan suffered a broken left fibula and is currently being examined by doctors. There is no immediate timetable for how long he’ll be out but the team said it would have an update later today. It is believed this injury is related to an initial injury suffered blocking a shot during an informal skate on Sept. 9. Today’s break is in the same spot as where the puck hit his leg blocking that shot on Sept. 9.

perhaps he cracked it before, but was too small of an injury to detect on X-ray.

Sounds at least that there is no ligament damage alongside the injury.

Championship*

I thought it was his foot where he blocked the shot? I have no doubts that gross is ****ing up again. I hate our beat writers with a passion.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This is ****ing scary because Im 35 and play once or twice a week, train regularly.

If a 24 year old primed professional athlete can just break his leg simply skating, its pretty scary to think that it could happen to an amateur just as easily. Maybe he had a hairline fracture from a blocked shot or something and it gave out. Obviously facing much harder shots and hits then I am. Still scary though.

Edit: That update above is what i thought! I feel better now (a little)

MetalGodAOD*

Seems like a missed diagnosis if his leg was that weak that skating caused it to break. As someone else said. Maybe it just didn't show up in the xray but it seems skating today made it worse.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I thought it was his foot where he blocked the shot? I have no doubts that gross is ****ing up again. I hate our beat writers with a passion.

Relax man, they do a great job. Without them, we wouldn't have ANY info. Andrew Gross does an excellent job.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Well this is going to make things interesting till the New Yr...............ugh......

Some kids are gonna make now that's for sure. Hayes has a real shot.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

It actually makes sense. Fibula is the skinny little bone that runs down the outside of the calf and essentially connects to the ankle. Could be the upper ankle area, maybe towards the front where the only protection is the tongue of a skate boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad