Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
We paid Grzelcyk 3.75 to be a healthy scratch because he gets playoff flu and forgets how to play hockey. I'd rather spend for the upgrade of Zadorov who can play in the playoffs. He had 8 points in 13 games. He's also probably not going to play bottom pair.

Zadorov has played 3rd pairing his whole career. Some really good teams like Colorado tried top 4 roles and it failed. He’s a journeyman player that hops from team to team and each team has ended up moving on from him.

Everyone recognizes his physical prowess. He’s a beast. However every team has tried to get more out of him and determined that his play just wasn’t good enough to be a top 4 D and they’ve all moved on.

Will they be more fun to watch with him? 1000% absolutely.

Will they be better for it? Ehh probably not.

Reactions: EverettMike

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Zadorov has played 3rd pairing his whole career. Some really good teams like Colorado tried top 4 roles and it failed. He’s a journeyman player that hops from team to team and each team has ended up moving on from him.

Everyone recognizes his physical prowess. He’s a beast. However every team has tried to get more out of him and determined that his play just wasn’t good enough to be a top 4 D and they’ve all moved on.

He was fantastic for the Canucks in the playoffs last season. He's 100% an upgrade over Grzelcyk.

Reactions: MoffatMan and lopey

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If most of your strikes against the man are almost 10 years old, you gotta wonder.

People grow. People improve at their jobs too, once in them.
I mean he point blank just lied about the Mitchell Miller situation. Not a fan of that. As a GM I do think he’s done well overall, I’m just responding about your comment about him having your back.

Reactions: EverettMike

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He was fantastic for the Canucks in the playoffs last season. He's 100% an upgrade over Grzelcyk.

I don’t disagree with that at all, he can be really good in short spurts.

But that’s a different convo for a different thread.

I’m just saying it’s crazy people are complaining so much about swayman getting paid when we have a long list of overpays in guys like Lindholm, zadorov, peeke.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Guy just went for a 3rd and 5th at the most recent deadline and people are fine paying him very good money for a really long time because he had a good playoffs. Swayman had a very good playoff as well and really good young career so far but people are skeptical about locking him up. Zadorov and Korpisalo at 8mil combined is good use of the cap all of a sudden I wonder why?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Guy just went for a 3rd and 5th at the most recent deadline and people are fine paying him very good money for a really long time because he had a good playoffs. Swayman had a very good playoff as well and really good young career so far but people are skeptical about locking him up. Zadorov and Korpisalo at 8mil combined is good use of the cap all of a sudden I wonder why?
No one doesn’t want to lock Swayman up. The only debate is about cost.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
My max is 9.5, but since that is supposed Swayman's original number you know he will come down.. I would bet 8/64 would get it done, as it's a fair meet in the middle. If Sweeney doesn't feel he's worth it, trade him or go 2 years and "kick that can down the road" as he likes to say" I think it's stupid to think he should have to sign a 4-5 year deal because goalies did it 5-6 years ago. The standard issue NHL thing now is ELC then monster contract to your cornerstones. Swayman is the first superstar 25 yo goalie to hit this stage, at this time, so he should be the first to set the bar. Sweeney made Pastrnak the highest paid RW in the sport and before that gave Charlie McAvoy Adam Fox money and more than Cale Makar. Lets be honest McAvoy is no Makar and yet he got paid more. I honestly am baffled that this isn't done yet.

It's not after 3pm yet so no need to panic before lunch.

Is there a Bruins player under Sweeney that went right from RFA to top paid at their position without taking a bridge? Pastrnak took a bridge, McAvoy a bridge....

I get your argument but teams can have their own internal way of doing things that don't line up with league trends. That practice has also bit a lot of teams right in the ass. Boston is definitely a team that does things a specific way. We can argue whether that's right or wrong but why should Swayman be the one to set that precedent? Does his resume warrant it? I would argue not.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Is there a Bruins player under Sweeney that went right from RFA to top paid at their position without taking a bridge? Pastrnak took a bridge, McAvoy a bridge....

I get your argument but teams can have their own internal way of doing things that don't line up with league trends. That practice has also bit a lot of teams right in the ass. Boston is definitely a team that does things a specific way. We can argue whether that's right or wrong but why should Swayman be the one to set that precedent? Does his resume warrant it? I would argue not.
I would argue 100pct yes because it’s where they are now. Guy is 2 years to UFA, not 4 like all these other mega deals and a full max deal is the way to go. It’s all about timing. Two years makes no sense for the Bruins. Four years makes no sense for the player. I would LOVE 6 years 8 per but don’t see it. It seems like both like 8 but one at 6.5 and one at 9.5. Would make sense 8/64. Sets the new market, oettinger will get his 8.1 and Igor his 10. To me one side isn’t meeting in the middle.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
My max is 9.5, but since that is supposed Swayman's original number you know he will come down.. I would bet 8/64 would get it done, as it's a fair meet in the middle. If Sweeney doesn't feel he's worth it, trade him or go 2 years and "kick that can down the road" as he likes to say" I think it's stupid to think he should have to sign a 4-5 year deal because goalies did it 5-6 years ago. The standard issue NHL thing now is ELC then monster contract to your cornerstones. Swayman is the first superstar 25 yo goalie to hit this stage, at this time, so he should be the first to set the bar. Sweeney made Pastrnak the highest paid RW in the sport and before that gave Charlie McAvoy Adam Fox money and more than Cale Makar. Lets be honest McAvoy is no Makar and yet he got paid more. I honestly am baffled that this isn't done yet.
Pastrnak contract was his first UFA contract, Tkachuk was a RFA signing a 8 year deal in a tax free state. not comparable, Pasta also is arguably the best RW in the game, if anything he was worth 12-13 on the open market.

McAvoy also was an 8 year deal, Makar was a 6 year deal. not comparable.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I would argue 100pct yes because it’s where they are now. Guy is 2 years to UFA, not 4 like all these other mega deals and a full max deal is the way to go. It’s all about timing. Two years makes no sense for the Bruins. Four years makes no sense for the player. I would LOVE 6 years 8 per but don’t see it. It seems like both like 8 but one at 6.5 and one at 9.5. Would make sense 8/64. Sets the new market, oettinger will get his 8.1 and Igor his 10. To me one side isn’t meeting in the middle.
Given Gross’ track record, why do you assume Swayman has agreed to meet in the middle? No one knows what the standing offers are but everyone seems to be making their own assumptions based on their own pre-conceived notions.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008

McAvoy's bridge deal ate up all but one year of RFA and Pastrnak's ate up some UFA years. So again, what has Swayman done to warrant setting a new precedent for the team?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Given Gross’ track record, why do you assume Swayman has agreed to meet in the middle? No one knows what the standing offers are but everyone seems to be making their own assumptions based on their own pre-conceived notions.
I don't know that, I said one side is not meeting in the middle. It may be Sweeney and his perceived value or Gross who more than likely has some Krug PTSD.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He just did.

Peeke sucks no matter what his age is.

Ya I’m not happy with the Elias Lindholm contract either. But that’s a huge part of my point!!!

Insane that everyone has a bigger beef with what swayman is potentially getting paid. But there’s very minimal complaining about 3rd pairing D getting a combined $7.75m and Lindholm getting a little under $8.
Who would you like to get other than Zadorov and Peeke, ?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
McAvoy's bridge deal ate up all but one year of RFA and Pastrnak's ate up some UFA years. So again, what has Swayman done to warrant setting a new precedent for the team?

Because the situations aren’t comparable?

bruins couldn’t offer swayman a decent bridge deal because of how tight to the cap they have been the last few years.

Instead all they could settle on was one year deal arbitration, both parties fully aware they would be in this very situation right now. By not being able to sign him to an oettinger style bridge deal due to the cap last year, we are stuck in the situation we are now.

However this is not a similar situation to McAvoy/pastrnaks

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Again it's not Swayman's fault the Bruins didn't have any cap space to extend him properly last season. Last summer would have been ideal and could prob have done something similar to McAvoy's bridge, but would have brought Sway right to UFA more than likely unless they went the overpayment route they did with Pasta (which was a great way to do it)

Pasta's 2nd deal was 6.7 mil per. That's why it ate up two years of UFA, they paid him four years worth of RFA money at that number.

Maybe both sides aren’t meeting in the middle?
yeah could be for sure. Maybe they just haven't found a middle or one or both aren't interested in budging.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Small resume, bridge deal, not for top of market. If he's so confident, he should understand this. If he's overconfident, then we are dealing with delusions of grandeur.
He has proved nothing that warrant top of market dollars. This screams NHLPA, set the market BS.
With Jacobs a Governor, Sweenious's hands are tied. I'd bet he's been told what the most he'll be allowed to spend. Collusion of some sort w/other owners. Bigger fish are coming up in Shesterkin (who has actually earned top of market $$) and Oettinger(#1 for multiple years)

I'm not saying I like what's happening, but it is a reality.

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Those trying to explain why swayman is with $6m are wrong.

That’s just the Sweeney Weenie crowd deflecting.

He’s an all star goalie that is roughly 4th-7th in the league right now among goaltenders and should be paid accordingly.

$6m’s will put him outside the top 10 in a year or two.
AFP analytics (not Sweeney Weenie crowd) projected Sway at 5 years $6.43M based on comparable goalie contracts at 25 yo (Gibson, Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, & Demko). So that puts Sway at roughly:

4y $6M AAV
5y $6.5M
6y $7M
7y $7.5M
8y $8M

Anything over $8M is outside comparable goalie contracts at 25 years old. Sweeney obviously knows this, which is why I'm sure he's willing to wait and probably offered him a deal or deals in this range. Sway doesn't have a lot of leverage. Maybe he can negotiate a little higher than these numbers but probably not much.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Who would you like to get other than Zadorov and Peeke, ?

Idk there were dozens of free agent defensemen I’d take branstrom at $800k over peeke at $2.75 but that’s a conversation for a different thread.

What I’m saying is swayman is much more valuable than either of those guys and his contract will age much better than lindholms or zadorov. Yet no one is complaining about those deals.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
AFP analytics (not Sweeney Weenie crowd) projected Sway at 5 years $6.43M based on comparable goalie contracts at 25 yo (Gibson, Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, & Demko). So that puts Sway at roughly:

4y $6M AAV
5y $6.5M
6y $7M
7y $7.5M
8y $8M

Anything over $8M is outside comparable goalie contracts at 25 years old. Sweeney obviously knows this, which is why I'm sure he's willing to wait and probably offered him a deal or deals in this range. Sway doesn't have a lot of leverage. Maybe he can negotiate a little higher than these numbers but probably not much.

Ya I’m not buying it.

If swayman takes 4 years $6m that will have him tied for 8th among goalie salaries this season.

Shesterkin, Oettinger will kick him out of the top 10 next year and then guys like demko who come up in two years will push him even further down.

He’s not accepting a contract where the majority of it he’s not being paid as a top 10 goalie.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Idk there were dozens of free agent defensemen I’d take branstrom at $800k over peeke at $2.75 but that’s a conversation for a different thread.

What I’m saying is swayman is much more valuable than either of those guys and his contract will age much better than lindholms or zadorov. Yet no one is complaining about those deals.

UFA deals on the open market versus RFA deals..... Not sure how these are comparable?

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad