Former Bruins Derek Forbort

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
529a7288b3f03cb63ea0d5e61b5ffdc5.jpg

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Elite Penalty Killer

worth every penny
I think elite is a stretch. He is a good penalty killer at best. I think he is a big tough physical shut down guy tho. Playoff time these are the guys that can wear out the other team.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yes , he’s had some hiccups along the way but he has been a good signing . His lack of speed can be an issue but he makes up with solid positioning .

You want to go into the PO with him on your 3rd pair.

He blocks shots well and positionally is fine but there are two weaknesses in his game that are obvious.
He is weaker on his stick given his size than he should be (most notably being able to make a good pass under pressure). He also doesn't hit as hard as you would expect from someone his size. He is similar to Carlo in that regard as both are good when
it comes to eliminating people coming straight down the boards, but hardly in a way where it makes an opponent pay or want to deviate from a straight line. An example is Morrissey on Pastrnak and Dillon on Smith today. Carlo did wallop someone today so if Forbort can do that he will eliminate a concern.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Forbort's offense has been an unsustainable surprise but he's absolutely horrible in terms of possession and xGF. He's 100% not worth the contract Sweeney handed him and I can't even begin to fathom why people who use the so-called 'eye test' like him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Largely due to his contract, many fans clearly had Forbort lined up to be the whipping boy. He’s easily played well enough to avoid that.

As far as I can tell, he’s exactly the player that was advertised. Good positionally, decent IQ, durable, somewhat physical (albeit a Hal Gill-like fighter) and very little offensive instinct to speak of.

The other thing I want to add is that I think the people who say “I’d have rather kept Tinordi” are delusional. Tinordi was almost always terrible. Better fighter? Yes. Far worse hockey player? Definitely. I suppose there’s a debate with the contract but I’ll take an actual steady NHL caliber defenseman for a bit of an overpayment than a shitty pylon on a “bargain” contract

Reactions: bob77

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Forbort's offense has been an unsustainable surprise but he's absolutely horrible in terms of possession and xGF. He's 100% not worth the contract Sweeney handed him and I can't even begin to fathom why people who use the so-called 'eye test' like him.

I think the issue there lies outside of Forbort. Forbort is playing the exact role he’s played his entire career. I’m much more worried about Brandon Carlo (blows my mind those two ever get paired together).

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Great PK'er. Elite shot blocker.

Probably has the worst 1st pass I've seen since... I don't know, Aaron Ward?

And last night was embarrassing... be assertive and take the gloves off. You're not mixing a f***ing drink, you're about to fight another man.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

And last night was embarrassing... be assertive and take the gloves off. You're not mixing a f***ing drink, you're about to fight another man.
Thought it was great to see him go with Lauzon and not take the extra two. He's not a good fighter and Lauzon didn't do anything to deserve it but he did it anyway because he knew the team needed some of that. Take that kind of player on my team any day.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

I honestly think he and Lauzon had no intention of throwing a punch. Neither of these guys are remotely dirty. Much ado about nothing.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Thought it was great to see him go with Lauzon and not take the extra two. He's not a good fighter and Lauzon didn't do anything to deserve it but he did it anyway because he knew the team needed some of that. Take that kind of player on my team any day.

I like forbort as 5-6 defenseman who kills penalty but I'd much rather have the young tougher Lauzon. Its just frustrating to have defenseman like him and Lindgren in the system only to see Sweeney let them and more go for basically zero return.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I like forbort as 5-6 defenseman who kills penalty but I'd much rather have the young tougher Lauzon. Its just frustrating to have defenseman like him and Lindgren in the system only to see Sweeney let them and more go for basically zero return.
Lindgren was part of the deal that brought us Rick Nash.

Lauzon was left unprotected in the expansion draft......not sure who you would have left exposed instead of Lauzon?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Lindgren was part of the deal that brought us Rick Nash.

Lauzon was left unprotected in the expansion draft......not sure who you would have left exposed instead of Lauzon?

R.Nash didn't work out to well and quickly had to retire, he also dealt a first round pick (K.Miller) in that deal which know stands as two-thirds of the Rangers left-side defense. On top of that he dealt Spooner who Gorton turned into R.Strome. Sweeney got taken to the cleaners and he went after the wrong players. Yzerman got them.

As far as Lauzon, Sweeney should of made a deal with Francis in order to keep him. He was exactly what this team needed, but that would take some creativity and it takes two teams yada yada yada

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
R.Nash didn't work out to well and quickly had to retire, he also dealt a first round pick (K.Miller) in that deal which know stands as two-thirds of the Rangers left-side defense. On top of that he dealt Spooner who Gorton turned into R.Strome. Sweeney got taken to the cleaners and he went after the wrong players. Yzerman got them.

As far as Lauzon, Sweeney should of made a deal with Francis in order to keep him. He was exactly what this team needed, but that would take some creativity and it takes two teams yada yada yada
I agree Sweeeney should have done his job at the draft and found a way to keep him and also at the trade deadline when he had a chance to right his wrong...........

Reactions: TCB

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Jacob Bernard-Docker was actually the player picked using the Bruins pick. The Rangers packaged the 1st with a 2nd to move up in the draft. Strome was a meh 35pt player who was on his 3rd team in 6yrs, this of course before getting strapped to Panarin.

Reactions: RoccoF14 and Skelen

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Jacob Bernard-Docker was actually the player picked using the Bruins pick. The Rangers packaged the 1st with a 2nd to move up in the draft. Strome was a meh 35pt player who was on his 3rd team in 6yrs, this of course before getting strapped to Panarin.
Sure, but the point being made is Gorton used that pick to improve his team by moving up to select Miller as well as using Spooner in the deal to get Strome, strapped beside Panarin or not he improved the Rangers. They both helped immensely as well as Lindgren and Sweeney and the Bruins have zilch, nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Sure, but the point being made is Gorton used that pick to improve his team by moving up to select Miller as well as using Spooner in the deal to get Strome, strapped beside Panarin or not he improved the Rangers. They both helped immensely as well as Lindgren and Sweeney and the Bruins have zilch, nothing to show for it.

Meh, I chalk Strome up to luck. There was a reason he was acquired for only Ryan Spooner. It's easy to play the hindsight game, but there was no way the Rangers were expect Strome to be what he is now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad