Former Bruins Derek Forbort

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Not gonna lie, Forbort was a reach for Sweeney and a gamble at that contract.
He can play large minutes, which is what they wanted. He has size, which is what they wanted.
But his effectiveness at his position is questionable in his career so far. For a bottom pairing guy he is a great add.
But for a top pair? Smells to me of "we lost our trade targets due to the high cost to acquire and now have to patch holes with anyone"

I wish him well. Lots of minor players have resurgences here in Boston and go on to get good contracts after. Would love to see that with Forbort
and Reilly. Unlike most here though, I think it will happen. But don't think it will be overnight.

I'll be concerned about where the team is at in Feb. October had barely any games, Nov is playing catch-up. Now we are heading into the traditional Fall/Winter injury pileup
the team hits each year. Will be a great chance to see what the kids got. But we wont know what we have until the TDL.

I want him and Reilly to have success and I will never condemn a player to sign a career contract. Both did and rightfully so. I question the managment that offer both those contracts. I know its just November but I really doubt that Forbort and Reilly suddenly develop into something that they haven't been before, two top 4 defenseman who can play a big part on a playoff team which wants to contend for the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Knox Harrington

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I want him and Reilly to have success and I will never condemn a player to sign a career contract. Both did and rightfully so. I question the managment that offer both those contracts. I know its just November but I really doubt that Forbort and Reilly suddenly develop into something that they haven't been before, two top 4 defenseman who can play a big part on a playoff team which wants to contend for the Stanley Cup.

Not really any way to know that since neither one has ever played for team that was a Cup contender.

Reactions: Raleighfern

BBBruins

Apr 24, 2017
Smells to me of "we lost our trade targets due to the high cost to acquire and now have to patch holes with anyone"
This. And the same goes for Reilly. This is annoying as you will be caught up in these ''plan F'' player acquisitions for several years, as many will not make a 1-year contract.
One with either Reilly or Forbort would be just fine but not happy with both. Because now we are in a situation where both are in contracts and honestly we still need a top 4 defender. I am more confident and satisfied with Forbort than Reilly.
I understand that they had to get players to fill the lineup but this situation is just annoying.. And when it’s the same for many years that we don’t get the player we want and then we get plan F and then management hopes the player would outperform.
When those years aren’t really too much to waste. This may be the last ''realistic'' year. Or it already went
Sorry, I had to let this out of me

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He’s a big reason our PK is very good

he was logging 25 min a game in the playoffs last year…obvs on a brutal unit but I still like him for 18-20 MPG and think we can be a good team giving him those minutes. He typically gets pretty tough assignments from what I’ve seen- though that’s just my eye test

Reactions: Ladyfan

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He’s a big reason our PK is very good

he was logging 25 min a game in the playoffs last year…obvs on a brutal unit but I still like him for 18-20 MPG and think we can be a good team giving him those minutes. He typically gets pretty tough assignments from what I’ve seen- though that’s just my eye test

Numbers don't back that up.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

That's a bit misleading without context.

NHL Stats

There are currently 26 defensemen in the NHL this year who are getting more than 3 minutes of SH TOI per game and Forbort is one of them. He has 5 PP goals against. The worst is Ryan Graves with 10 GA. Yes Forbort is "near the bottom", but that's because he's in the upper tier of SH TOI and we're talking single digit difference between the top & bottom of this list. Forbort also has been on the ice for the same number of PP goals against as Ryan McDonagh, Aaron Ekblad and our own Brandon Carlo.

Not saying Forbort (or the Bruins PK) has been good, but it's way too early and way too small a sample size to be making statements implying he's somehow among the worst PK guys in the league. I think Forbort can be better, but "He is also near the bottom of defensemen in being on ice for penalty kills goals allowed" is such a loaded statement without any context. That account is honestly almost universally negative about the Bruins and stuff like this is why I take things they post with a grain of salt.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

yikes

though granted, you’re going to be on the ice for some goals when 3/4 of your starts are in your own end and you’re getting huge pk minutes. It’s a little misleading as it doesn’t take context into account

The pk hasn’t been as good as I thought it was though. Seems solid lately at least in the games I’ve been able to see

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
for what it's worth, Forbort currently has the 3rd best goal differential on our D corps (ahead of Grzelcyk, Reilly & Clifton). It's still a negative differential (the whole team is negative last time I checked). This is all while having the fewest O-zone starts on the team.

Again, I'm not trying to make the case that he has been great, but he's playing hard minutes and cherry picking a couple of stats to paint him as one of the worst D in the league is just unfair IMO.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Yeah because of one game :laugh: I still stand with it. If you want your team to be a contender, giving Derek Forbort a roster spot or even this kind of a contract is just wrong. If you are happy with mediocority he is your guy and I would be happy about him being a third star in game against the Ottawa Senators they barely won.
He also got 3rd star in the win against San Jose earlier in the season.

Reactions: FabulousLysell

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

nothing against Gryz, but this is all because of the Ozone starts, which usually lead to shot attempts, aka corsi, especially when Bergy wins all the faceoffs. On the other hand, Forbort gets all the D zone starts, and when Montreal wins a faceoff, there's a shot against. This isn't rocket science. Most of these advanced stats are not advanced enough to tell the whole story.

Reactions: CDJ and 13Hockey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Fun (maybe more of an interesting) fact:

Derek Forbort was selected 15th overall in the 2010 NHL draft. The pick was originally owned by the Bruins, but was traded as part of the deal that brought Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell to Boston. On a separate note for the 2010 NHL draft, 20% of the 2010 NHL 1st rounders have played for Boston lol

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Derek Forbort was selected 15th overall in the 2010 NHL draft. The pick was originally owned by the Bruins, but was traded as part of the deal that brought Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell to Boston. On a separate note for the 2010 NHL draft, 20% of the 2010 NHL 1st rounders have played for Boston lol
Ay good to see you back posting! :clap:

Reactions: CDJ and ON3M4N

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

Hall, Seguin, Connolly, Tinordi, Forbort and Coyle

Reactions: ON3M4N

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium