Former Bruins Derek Forbort

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Smith, Riely, Foglino, Haula, and Studnicka to start - they were planning to lean on those guys pretty heavy early in the season and have nothing to show from them.

Getting heavy Andrew Alberts vibes from Forbort so far, hoping he settles in and has more to give. He's also the kind of player who Chara could cover for on a top pairing (and was asked to repeatedly as the #1 D). Might be too much to ask of McAvoy, though soon he'll be getting paid to do as much.

Wouldnt mind seeing Zboril again - he's got some jam and IMO deserves some time when other guys aint bringing it.

To be fair, Foglino has only played two games, Studnicka only 3. And I wouldn't include Reilly.

Excellent compare to Alberts. Big, really slow. Limited offense (though better than Alberts).

I'd like to see Zboril again too.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
They had to move firsts in deals to dump Beleskey and Backes, no way this contract is worse
Contract is not nearly as bad but the player has been worse in his first 9 games than either of those players were. Might be the worst player of the 3.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Conclusion

lot of Bruins posters rooting for him to fail for whatever reason
Definitely not rooting for him to fail. A lot of us just saw a bottom pairing guy who the Bruins overpaid for. Now that guy is expected to play with McAvoy who he is dragging down or Clifton and that pairing has been an absolute nightmare. Not to mention he’s brought in to kill penalties and makes a play so soft Butch loses his mind. Yeah not rooting against him, we just need better D to compete in this league and he’s not one of them.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Forbort's metrics at 5-on-5 grade similar to that of Brandon Carlo. He also has the lowest offensive zone starts and second-highest defensive zone starts on the roster behind Carlo. Yeah, he's had some soft plays that have led to a -1 on the ice, but personally I don't care because we're not even at American Thanksgiving yet.

This team is clearly not gelling, is not in a rhythm and hasn't had much of an opportunity to string consecutive efforts together due to the scheduling.

What's more likely, you think? That Derek Forbort suddenly forgot how to play hockey or that a nine-game sample on a new team with a bootleg schedule is affecting him? I'm inclined to believe the latter, but hey, that's just me.

Forbort shouldn't be playing top-pair minutes or receiving top-pair assignments, but tell me, how's that his problem? Cassidy is the one setting the lineup and choosing where and when to use Forbort. Is that because he sees something we all don't? That's possible. Is it because he wants to see what he has in his new addition to the team? Maybe he likes what he sees from Forbort as opposed to other options right now, I just don't know.

I do know that I'm not going to lose my mind over a bottom-pair defenseman who was signed to add some depth to the lineup. Evan Gold and Sweeney have been good at managing the cap in recent years and I don't see how the former would have advised the latter to sign someone to a short-term $3m AAV contract if the risk couldn't be managed.

But at the end of the day, it's always easier to dump on the low-hanging fruit when you're a frustrated fan behind the keyboard on an online message board.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Forbort's metrics at 5-on-5 grade similar to that of Brandon Carlo. He also has the lowest offensive zone starts and second-highest defensive zone starts on the roster behind Carlo. Yeah, he's had some soft plays that have led to a -1 on the ice, but personally I don't care because we're not even at American Thanksgiving yet.

This team is clearly not gelling, is not in a rhythm and hasn't had much of an opportunity to string consecutive efforts together due to the scheduling.

What's more likely, you think? That Derek Forbort suddenly forgot how to play hockey or that a nine-game sample on a new team with a bootleg schedule is affecting him? I'm inclined to believe the latter, but hey, that's just me.

Forbort shouldn't be playing top-pair minutes or receiving top-pair assignments, but tell me, how's that his problem? Cassidy is the one setting the lineup and choosing where and when to use Forbort. Is that because he sees something we all don't? That's possible. Is it because he wants to see what he has in his new addition to the team? Maybe he likes what he sees from Forbort as opposed to other options right now, I just don't know.

I do know that I'm not going to lose my mind over a bottom-pair defenseman who was signed to add some depth to the lineup. Evan Gold and Sweeney have been good at managing the cap in recent years and I don't see how the former would have advised the latter to sign someone to a short-term $3m AAV contract if the risk couldn't be managed.

But at the end of the day, it's always easier to dump on the low-hanging fruit when you're a frustrated fan behind the keyboard on an online message board.

It's not his fault.

I just don't agree with our current construction of D and cap allotment to the left side.

Reilly (3M), Grzelyk (3.65M), Forbot (3M), Moore (2.75) = 12.4M for the left side when healthy. Yes, one can slot to the third pair R side, but point remains the same. That's a lot of quantity vs quality. While I fully understand what they are trying to do with that configuration, it might not be the answer.

Is it all doom and gloom? No. Am I rooting for Forbot to fail? No. Do I want him the team to win? Yes. Do I want Forbot to do well? Yes. Will I be surprised if this plan doesn't work? No.

It's not the worst out there, but it's clearly got a lot of room for improvement. And quite honestly, with the way the cap is structured, 3rd pair/7th D making 3M isn't exactly easy to move. It's not Belesky or Backes bad, but it's also an anchor. If Forbot doesn't eventually click here... that's what we are looking at.

Anyways, Forbot has time. Maybe he'll get better with the system. Hope he does. But if he doesn't, well, we can just chalk that up to another list of bad cap/pro scouting acquisitions.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Crazy

Cleaning up my yard and went to Home Depot. Was getting a new wheelbarrow and pitch fork among items. I couldn’t find any pitch forks so I asked an employee but he said they sold out. Ok I get it but when he said that everyone seemed to be wearing a Bergeron or Marchand jersey.

I said you are joking right? He said, oh there was a guy in a 3 sizes to small badly faded Lucic Fight Club mumbling Forbah or something

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Crazy

Cleaning up my yard and went to Home Depot. Was getting a new wheelbarrow and pitch fork among items. I couldn’t find any pitch forks so I asked an employee but he said they sold out. Ok I get it but when he said that everyone seemed to be wearing a Bergeron or Marchand jersey.

I said you are joking right? He said, oh there was a guy in a 3 sizes to small badly faded Lucic Fight Club mumbling Forbah or something

lmao

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Crazy

There has to be a whipping boy.

This year's model.

Reactions: aguineapig

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Bruce Cassidy Calls Out Derek Forbort After Bruins' Loss To Maple Leafs

Cassidy was incensed at the play Forbort made during a Toronto power play when he apparently touched the puck with one hand and gave it back to the Maple Leafs who ended up scoring. “The entry was just soft in the middle of the ice. I mean, one hand on the stick?” Cassidy said. “You just can’t do that. You gotta be hard in those areas. A lot of talent on the other side — and any team you play against — you can’t clear pucks with one hand on your stick. That’s on us...One hundred percent (he needs to be harder to go against). That’s what he’s here for, right? He’s here to be a hard defender and be physical and make a good first pass. On that one, he just has to be harder.”
He had one hand on his stick in anticipation of Marner catching the bouncing puck. He was going to poke check. Instead it surprised him and was just there and he tried to clear to the corner. Not a mental mistake it all. Sometimes the bouncers don’t go your way. Cassidy is over reacting to that play.

Reactions: aguineapig

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
That play where he had all kinds of time just fired the puck into McAvoys skates along the wall which lead to all kinds of possession and the Tavares goal that should not have counted was maybe his worst of the night

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I’m willing to give him some time to adjust. Although I don’t see him adjusting if Cassidy can’t pick lines and stick to them.

Reactions: DBL84

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That play where he had all kinds of time just fired the puck into McAvoys skates along the wall which lead to all kinds of possession and the Tavares goal that should not have counted was maybe his worst of the night
this is my biggest issue with him so far. the really frustrating moments aren't the plays he makes under pressure but rather the times I've seen him blow a completely routine play under zero or very little pressure.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

And I’m betting Cassidy has him playing top pair because he’s arguably the best LHD of an otherwise crappy LD situation? Again not Forborts fault.

I’d take Gryz over him in a heartbeat, but Carlo needs someone who can handle the puck with him or that’s a full pair that can’t do it well.

We talked all off-season about the need to upgrade LD. I agree we need to give Derek more rope, but the situation overall is not good.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
And I’m betting Cassidy has him playing top pair because he’s arguably the best LHD of an otherwise crappy LD situation? Again not Forborts fault.

I’d take Gryz over him in a heartbeat, but Carlo needs someone who can handle the puck with him or that’s a full pair that can’t do it well.

We talked all off-season about the need to upgrade LD. I agree we need to give Derek more rope, but the situation overall is not good.
Forbort is playing on average the 5th most minutes of the regular defencemen, only more than Clifton.

He has only played two games of 20 minutes or more. Last season, he averaged over 20 minutes a game. Every other defenceman, other than Clifton, has played more 20 minute/plus games thus far. Small sample size, but it makes it difficult to say he is being misused or overused by Cassidy. He is simply not playing well enough.

The alternative is to give more defensive minutes to Reilly and Grzelcyk, and that's not their game. Forbort just has to play better or the Bruins need to make a trade for a guy who can do the job. Blaming Cassidy, not you the other guy, is masking the poor roster decisions the GM has made.

Reactions: Spooner st

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Forbort is playing on average the 5th most minutes of the regular defencemen, only more than Clifton.

He has only played two games of 20 minutes or more. Last season, he averaged over 20 minutes a game. Every other defenceman, other than Clifton, has played more 20 minute/plus games thus far. Small sample size, but it makes it difficult to say he is being misused or overused by Cassidy. He is simply not playing well enough.

The alternative is to give more defensive minutes to Reilly and Grzelcyk, and that's not their game. Forbort just has to play better or the Bruins need to make a trade for a guy who can do the job. Blaming Cassidy, not you the other guy, is masking the poor roster decisions the GM has made.

Stick Grizz back with Charlie and sort the bottom 4 out meaning sitting some guys, giving Zboril some time, recall Moore, give Lyle a look, try something. Or just hope Forbort or Reilly get better, and Clifton also. But you're right, Butch has to do what he can with the team he has. He could play Zboril, but that is his only other option unless Sweeney makes some roster moves.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
So far through 9 games Forbort has played 1 phenomenal game (SJ) and 1 complete stinker of a game (TOR). 6 out of the 9 games he has either 0 or 1 hit. 5 of the 9 games he has 0 blocks (1 block in his last 5 games, combined). He has consistently struggled under pressure with the puck on his stick in his own zone most games. For a guy who is logging 18+ mins per game he needs to be better. He's 13th on the team in hits (2nd to last among regular D; Gryz only has 3 hits in 9 games). He's last among D in blocks who have played all 9 games, and by a fair margin. I can buy the excuse that he needs to play more games in this system as far as explaining why he gets out of position too much. But, there is no excuse for the lack of physicality and sacrifice he is bringing. Dumb decisions with the puck I can sort of live with, as that was his MO coming in, so no surprises there even though it's frustrating as heck. What is unacceptable is his soft play. Hopefully that changes as the season wears on.

Reactions: LSCII

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Don't mind the player...hate the contract. He's a 5/6.

What I can't figure out

Your left side is:

Gryz
Reilly
Forbert
Moore
Zboril.

4 guys who are 4-6 guys and a young D man getting buried.

Regardless what you think of Zboril he's a better option at his contract then 3/4 of those guys.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

What I can't figure out

Your left side is:

Gryz
Reilly
Forbert
Moore
Zboril.

Regardless what you think of Zboril he's a better option at his contract then 3/4 of those guys.
Zboril isn't though, he proved it last season. He isn't good at all

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

What I can't figure out

Your left side is:

Gryz
Reilly
Forbert
Moore
Zboril.

Zboril isn't though, he proved it last season. He isn't good at all

Yeah. The left side is weak, no "pun intended". As far as zboril he really hasn't been given a fair shake but when he has been out there, he really hasn't earned one.

Reactions: Root and finchster

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

I don't get why you blame Cassidy? I'm sure he didn't want bargain basement?

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Forbort was bad vs Leafs, Butch equally bad by refusing to stop rolling him out there vs teams top 6

I agree but who else do you roll out there on the left side? I understand and agree with the discussion around Forbort, what I can't understand is why he is the only one taking heat. The entire left side is underperforming, it's not all on him.

Reactions: finchster

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
I’m willing to give him some time to adjust. Although I don’t see him adjusting if Cassidy can’t pick lines and stick to them.

Know it was the idea to have Forbort and Gryz switch up with McAvoy based on what they felt they needed, game to game, moment to moment inside games, but it maybe time to stop.

Keep Gryz with McAvoy, Forbort on the 3rd pairing focusing on only defensive assignments(mostly the PK), and Reilly and Carlo will be a good 2nd pairing.

Ideally when it comes to Forbort on the 3rd pairing with bottom minutes(unless tons of PK time), they should tell Forbort no pinching or too much skating with the puck, and let Clifton or Zboril on the other side skate more with the puck.

The guy's built to be a defensive zone defensemen, hard to play against in his own zone, block shots, clear front of the net, and play heavy PK minutes. For 3M he could be worth that. Moving him around hoping for more I dunno...maybe if he's playing well for a long stretch reward him, but otherwise, keep him on the 3rd pairing.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Forbort was bad vs Leafs, Butch equally bad by refusing to stop rolling him out there vs teams top 6

Leafs have last change at home, so more like they were rolling top 6 guys out against Forbort.

Changing on the fly, especially in the long change second period, can be a problem since it takes Forbort longer to get from the bench to his position.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad