Derek Dorsett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arsmaster*

:laugh:

Good one.

We lead the league in fighting majors with these two on the roster. Dale Weise just bested Dorsett's best season this year and is younger and a fraction of the cost.

Laugh all you want scurr, both these guys are better hitters too. Even under Torts who hate Weise he produced at the same rate as Dorsett in nearly 5 minutes less icetime per game.

I don't really care anyways, bottom of the roster players fighting other teams bottom of the roster players isn't "toughness" to me, it's done to make sure these guys maintain jobs.

The difference between what these guys bring and what Dorsett brings isn't vast, only their pay grades are.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Weise was more interested in camera time and blabbing in the media. I'm glad he's outta here, more character guys than Media Weise please.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Sestito was a total play killer, Dorsett is like...fine...I guess...he doesn't provide an extra 1.6M/year of value over a replacement level $1MM 4th liner.
And that's completely fine as long as he keeps competitiveness high and brings character and professionalism to the 4th line.
Overpaying for solid character throughout your line up when rebuilding is a very smart decision.
Dumping non-vharacter guys, even at the cost of a 5th rounder is worth it.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Weise was more interested in camera time and blabbing in the media. I'm glad he's outta here, more character guys than Media Weise please.

Agreed. I think I'd re-sign Hansen for 8 years/32 million as soon as possible for that very reason. Might as well give him a full NMC too because you'd never want to remove that much character from the roster.

It's too bad they traded Bieksa, too. He wasn't that useful of a player, but he was tough and had good character. They should have re-signed him for 6 years and 30-ish million to ensure that the young kids came up in a safe, protective environment.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Talent > Character

Do we really want to be the team that trades Seguin for scrapes because Seguin lacks character?

I doubt that Dorsett even manages to play out his contract here. Probably be in the AHL in a couple seasons.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed. I think I'd re-sign Hansen for 8 years/32 million as soon as possible for that very reason. Might as well give him a full NMC too because you'd never want to remove that much character from the roster.

It's too bad they traded Bieksa, too. He wasn't that useful of a player, but he was tough and had good character. They should have re-signed him for 6 years and 30-ish million to ensure that the young kids came up in a safe, protective environment.

The thing with the Benning contracts is that they are all short term contracts. No lifelong contracts, no four and five year specials. If we're rebuilding, once again, I prefer to go this route.

Bieksa was the biggest voice in an aging, tired room. As much as I like Juice I think there needs to be a bit of a change in voices to bring about a true culture change.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
The thing with the Benning contracts is that they are all short term contracts. No lifelong contracts, no four and five year specials. If we're rebuilding, once again, I prefer to go this route.

Bieksa was the biggest voice in an aging, tired room. As much as I like Juice I think there needs to be a bit of a change in voices to bring about a true culture change.

Is the culture change really for the better?

What "culture" is being implemented?

The culture that Gillis had for this team was that everyone signed below their market value so that they can build a competitor with more flexibility. He was also great at attracting free agents to Vancouver.

What culture is Benning trying to implement?

Toughness? Fighting? I don't get it....

I'm totally buying into "money puck" culture. That's what got LA 2 cups.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Is the culture change really for the better?

What "culture" is being implemented?

The culture that Gillis had for this team was that everyone signed below their market value so that they can build a competitor with more flexibility. He was also great at attracting free agents to Vancouver.

What culture is Benning trying to implement?

Toughness? Fighting? I don't get it....

I'm totally buying into "money puck" culture. That's what got LA 2 cups.

Gillis handed out NTCs to middling players to get them to sign cheap deals. Had nothing to do with culture.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
You really complaining about Limited no trade clauses.

Benning straight up gave Miller a no movement clause + huge money + 3 years term

You claimed it was some sort of "culture" that had players taking cheaper deals, I'm saying that was
a product of a strategy by ol' Gilly and Gily. They took the cheaper contracts for the country club NTCs

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
You really complaining about Limited no trade clauses.

Benning straight up gave Miller a no movement clause + huge money + 3 years term

Miller has a limited NTC but it's far more restrictive than the ones given to Hansen and Higgins. Miller can list 6 teams, making it effectively a full NTC (since he can choose 6 teams that don't want goaltenders, if he desires).

Nevertheless, he could have apparently traded Miller anyway, so he gets to wear that albatross around his neck twice if you ask me: once for signing him and another time for not getting out from under it when he could. Benning chose his hill to die on. Twice.

Fool me once, shame on.. shame on you. Fool me twice... fool me.. you can't... fooled myself again.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
You claimed it was some sort of "culture" that had players taking cheaper deals, I'm saying that was
a product of a strategy by ol' Gilly and Gily. They took the cheaper contracts for the country club NTCs

Limited no trade clauses are literally nothing.

It's basically a "don't trade me to a **** team" clause.

If it means not paying 2m+ for fringe NHL players then I'm all for it. This whole "Gillis handed out no trade clauses that's why the team is in bad shape" idea needs to stop.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

If it means not paying 2m+ for fringe NHL players then I'm all for it. This whole "Gillis handed out no trade clauses that's why we can't rebuild" idea needs to stop.
No, a limited NTC means not being able to trade aging vets to the only 7 or 8 teams that would take him for something reasonable.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

If it means not paying 2m+ for fringe NHL players then I'm all for it. This whole "Gillis handed out no trade clauses that's why we can't rebuild" idea needs to stop.

Your talking to a guy who keeps spouting that Kuzma indicated Gillis was going to take "X,Y,Z" until ownership saved the day from Anaheim which is not what Kuzma said.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

The same country club being run by nearly every top club in the NHL? Of course, this has been pointed out to you dozens of times, a point you wilfully ignore in the name of... uh... advancing the discourse to the next level. I can only assume that's the reason for your thoughtful repetition of the same talking points.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
No, a limited NTC means not being able to trade aging vets to the only 7 or 8 teams that would take him for something reasonable.

Pretty sure that's just a a standard NTC

It goes like this IIRC

Limited no trade - Pick 5 teams not to get traded to

No trade - Pick 25 teams not to get traded to

No movement - Can't trade unless permission from the player.

arsmaster*

The same country club being run by nearly every top club in the NHL? Of course, this has been pointed out to you dozens of times, a point you wilfully ignore in the name of... uh... advancing the discourse to the next level. I can only assume that's the reason for your thoughtful repetition of the same talking points.

Just like Benning has chosen his hill to die on, Jimson has chosen the limited NTC as the reason for the Canucks current state, and he's dying on it.

Looking for any reason to blame the former regime for the current regime's team.

arsmaster*

Pretty sure that's just a a standard NTC

It goes like this IIRC

Limited no trade - Pick 5 teams not to get traded to

No trade - Pick 25 teams not to get traded to

No movement - Can't trade unless permission from the player.

Why engage a guy who just assumes that the 5 or 6 teams on the NTC are the one who would for surely offer up a kings ransom for the player he values at a 5th round pick :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad