Derek Dorsett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
:laugh::laugh:

Catch "Double D: Supercop" at 9 p.m. in NBC's new fall lineup!

Things like "settling scores" and "message sending" and "standing up in scrums" are examples of those unlimited arms races that have basically never, ever contributed to winning, just escalating violence.

Have players ever hesitated to crash the crease because a scrum ensues literally every single time? Has "having to answer the bell" ever eliminated cheapness or (especially) accidents from the game? Derek Dorsett is really going to put an end to stupid behavior that has plagued hockey since time immemorial? It's largely because of guys like him that it happens in the first place.

Laugh all you want, the players have spoken. You don't vote a guy unsung hero if you think he's a useless plug. It's a lot easier to poo poo this stuff away from your couch.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Never seen so much stock placed in an award that means nothing. Steve Bernier won one too.

arsmaster*

I had just followed along with the belief this was voted on by the players because that was the narrative.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762822

Derek Dorsett is the recipient of the Fred J. Hume Award as the Canucks’ “Unsung Hero” as voted by fans. He appeared in his first season with the Canucks this year registering single-season career-highs in both points (25) and assists (18). The 6’0”, 187 pound forward currently leads the team in hits (165) and his team-leading 175 penalty minutes rank third in the League.

arsmaster*

Like I said, I think that role and players like Dorsett are important to the players. That award speaks to that. I don't see how these guys winning changes anything?

See my post above.

You're operating on a false narrative.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
No, I've said the same thing before about similar players. There is game within the game that goes on in hockey and imo players still want a guy to help on that end. It's certainly better for them if the guy can play... so I'm not surprised they're DD fans.

See my post above.

You're operating on a false narrative.

I've been consistent with this regarding different player in the past. IMO it's important to the players.

arsmaster*

:laugh:

Good find. Don't believe the hype.

I still think they want a guy like that.

I was tired of following along without checking myself.:laugh:

I think the players like having a guy like that too, but I also think the good players don't want to play less, which they did with 1-2-3-4 Willie, but that's not Dorsett's fault.

I think in 8-10 minutes he's much more effective, I even gave him his due multiple times in his thread.

I hate his contract extension, the fact it was an "easy negotiation", and that the coach overplays him, but I do understand the reasoning behind having ONE player like that on the roster.

I don't really subscribe to 12/13th forward having enough pull to be a "culture changer" though. That starts at the top.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I was tired of following along without checking myself.:laugh:

I think the players like having a guy like that too, but I also think the good players don't want to play less, which they did with 1-2-3-4 Willie, but that's not Dorsett's fault.

I think in 8-10 minutes he's much more effective, I even gave him his due multiple times in his thread.

I hate his contract extension, the fact it was an "easy negotiation", and that the coach overplays him, but I do understand the reasoning behind having ONE player like that on the roster.

I don't really subscribe to 12/13th forward having enough pull to be a "culture changer" though. That starts at the top.

So lets leave it at overpaid and move on. No need to marginalize his role.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So Dorsett's possession numbers didn't correlate with his production or his plus/minus of last season.. correct? or incorrect?

The point of possession stats to be predictive in nature... correct?

If Dorsett produces another 25ish pt season as a plus player (+whatever else he brings to the table)... then what what does it really matter his possession stats state at the end of the year?

Do they matter at all?

Did they really matter at all this past season when he wasn't a liability despite advanced numbers suggesting that maybe he should of been?

Is too much weight being put on the advanced numbers when the basic ones tell the story they do? 25 pt, 12 min, Plus player with 17 scraps, X number of hits.

Anyways.. looking forward to Dorsett and Prust having a synergistic effect in the piss n' vinegar department on the bottom 6..

arsmaster*

So lets leave it at overpaid and move on. No need to marginalize his role.

I think the role is overrated, and I think you're quite hyperbolous in your defense of him. I can't let you get away with crap like "settles every score" and "polices it all for everyone" it's BS and you know it.

But I'll move on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know if that's giving him enough credit. I also distinctly remember the one vs. Tropp where he fought when the Canucks were up 2-0 vs. CBJ and then by the end of that period they were down 3-2 enroute to losing 6-2.

I do agree that the Neil one was memorable too. Up 2-0 vs. OTT and they end up losing 4-3. Or the one against Cody McLeod where the team blew another lead after a Dorsett fight and ended up losing 7-3 to COL.

For some reason though I can't remember any of his fights where the Canucks were losing but ended up coming back to win afterwards. It's almost like it didn't happen once all season.

:laugh:

Ha, yeah, now I remember the Tropp one.

So many utterly pointless fights. That we're going to 'help' him with this pointless task is just ... blech.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think the role is overrated,

You're right. Even the players probably know they overrate it at this point. Still, when a guy sticks you behind the play... it feels good to have someone like Dorsett to talk about it with.

and I think you're quite hyperbolous in your defense of him. I can't let you get away with crap like "settles every score" and "polices it all for everyone" it's BS and you know it.

But I'll move on.

I'm probably romancing it a bit... I love that stuff. "Settle every score" might sound strong... but I believe that Dorsett would answer the call of a teammate 100% of the time. And it's not a "score" unless that guy thinks it is. I believe what I said.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I don't know if that's giving him enough credit. I also distinctly remember the one vs. Tropp where he fought when the Canucks were up 2-0 vs. CBJ and then by the end of that period they were down 3-2 enroute to losing 6-2.

I do agree that the Neil one was memorable too. Up 2-0 vs. OTT and they end up losing 4-3. Or the one against Cody McLeod where the team blew another lead after a Dorsett fight and ended up losing 7-3 to COL.

For some reason though I can't remember any of his fights where the Canucks were losing but ended up coming back to win afterwards. It's almost like it didn't happen once all season.

The staged pump up fights are so lame. Why is this even a thing still? The only time I'm interested in seeing a fight is when 2 players who are legitimately angry at each other throw down.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
How many times did Dorsett settle any scores last year? He just has a bunch of meaningless fights to keep people employed and nobody calls it what it is because he's also an adequate player.

Honestly, I'd prefer him more if he just fought 6-7 times a year in response to actual scrums/aggression/on-ice incidents. If the guy was running over goalies and punching people after the whistle and getting in people's grills, he'd be great. I want more of that and a few less minutes*

*And 1m a year back

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Toughness is a team mentality, and 4th liners don't really have a bid influence on that. Teams generally take on the mentality of their core players. Boston/LA/WPG/ANA have all had multiple core players who plays a hard-nosed game and so their team's have taken on some of that persona.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
So Dorsett's possession numbers didn't correlate with his production or his plus/minus of last season.. correct? or incorrect?

If Dorsett produces another 25ish pt season as a plus player (+whatever else he brings to the table)... then what what does it really matter his possession stats state at the end of the year?

Do they matter at all?

Did they really matter at all this past season when he wasn't a liability despite advanced numbers suggesting that maybe he should of been?

Is too much weight being put on the advanced numbers when the basic ones tell the story they do? 25 pt, 12 min, Plus player with 17 scraps, X number of hits.

Anyways.. looking forward to Dorsett and Prust having a synergistic effect in the piss n' vinegar department on the bottom 6..

You expect him to hit 25 points when he isn't playing with Horvat and Hansen?

I bet he won't crack 15 points next season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Do they matter at all?

I just want to see Prust and Dorsett living up the hype as mentors and culture carriers and seeing the piss n vinegar game Vey is going to be bringing.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
How many times did Dorsett settle any scores last year? He just has a bunch of meaningless fights to keep people employed and nobody calls it what it is because he's also an adequate player.

Honestly, I'd prefer him more if he just fought 6-7 times a year in response to actual scrums/aggression/on-ice incidents. If the guy was running over goalies and punching people after the whistle and getting in people's grills, he'd be great. I want more of that and a few less minutes*

*And 1m a year back

*and two years back

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You really complaining about Limited no trade clauses.

Benning straight up gave Miller a no movement clause + huge money + 3 years term

I'd take Hansen or Higgins deals any day over the Dorsett abomination. 4 years for a 4th line plug/micro-goon. That's a first.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I'd take Hansen or Higgins deals any day over the Dorsett abomination. 4 years for a 4th line plug/micro-goon. That's a first.

Actually, the micro-goon is where the NHL is heading towards. 4th line players who can chip in and fight (if needed). Sestito and McGratton are prime examples of size + fighting without any other contribution isn't needed on a 12-man roster anymore. Gone are the days where you have a 6'4 fight who can play 4 minutes. Dorsett may not be everyone's first choice on the 4th line, but he's a guy who can play 10 minutes on most nights.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Honestly, I'd much rather have Virtanen and Grenier + Richardson on the 4th line next year than having to watch Prust and Dorsett start a bunch of meaningless fights.

We are paying 5m+ for guys that we can easily replace next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad