Derek Dorsett

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Honestly, I'd much rather have Virtanen and Grenier + Richardson on the 4th line next year than having to watch Prust and Dorsett start a bunch of meaningless fights.

We are paying 5m+ for guys that we can easily replace next year.

And we traded 3th, 5th and Kassian for those two guys.

If Kassian stays healthy he will guaranteed outscore both Dorsett and Prust combined (well depends if Willie plays them as much as he did Dorsett last year but if they are at 10 minutes where they should be, then I stand by that).

That's quite a price for culture carrying, mentoring and meaningless fights.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
And we traded 3th, 5th and Kassian for those two guys.

If Kassian stays healthy he will guaranteed outscore both Dorsett and Prust combined (well depends if Willie plays them as much as he did Dorsett last year but if they are at 10 minutes where they should be, then I stand by that).

That's quite a price for culture carrying, mentoring and meaningless fights.

I wouldn't be too sure about Kassian outscoring Dorsett.

Remember our coach put Dorsett on the 1st unit PP for a while.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Actually, the micro-goon is where the NHL is heading towards. 4th line players who can chip in and fight (if needed). Sestito and McGratton are prime examples of size + fighting without any other contribution isn't needed on a 12-man roster anymore. Gone are the days where you have a 6'4 fight who can play 4 minutes. Dorsett may not be everyone's first choice on the 4th line, but he's a guy who can play 10 minutes on most nights.

Overpaying and 4 year deals, not so much.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I wouldn't be too sure about Kassian outscoring Dorsett.

Remember our coach put Dorsett on the 1st unit PP for a while.

Yeah that's the risk. But still Dorsett and Prust will be in 40-50 range at most and it's possible Kassian could be there aswell.

If they are played the proper amount of 10 min/game they will be around 30. That Kassian will get guaranteed if healthy.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah that's the risk. But still Dorsett and Prust will be in 40-50 range at most and it's possible Kassian could be there aswell.

If they are played the proper amount of 10 min/game they will be around 30. That Kassian will get guaranteed if healthy.

What about the other $3.4m? What will it score?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It's not just the fighting. There is a lot that goes on that people don't see. Trash talk and stuff behind the play. Dorsett polices it all for everyone. He settles every score. IMO he's one of the best in the game at it.

We're paying more for a guy that can fill the role and play. I don't mind that in theory... though I don't like how far they went.

I don't think Dorsett polices anything. He's not intimidating whatsoever. Nobody is afraid of having to step up and fight Dorsett or that he might trash talk them.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I don't think Dorsett polices anything. He's not intimidating whatsoever. Nobody is afraid of having to step up and fight Dorsett or that he might trash talk them.

No, nobody's afraid of him. It's not about that. It's about having a guy that keeps score of the game within the game that exists. There is a reason that every team in the league employs some kind of pest -it's effective. Dorsett does the trash talking and keeps score of the game within a game so that everyone else can play hockey. Most of them want no part of the stuff that goes on behind the play and between whistles. People bring up Kassian... but did you really want him doing it? I'd rather he focus on playing hockey.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Calgary signed Bouma to a 3 year deal worth 2.2/yr.

Basically a much better and younger version of Dorsett. Less dollars and less term, and Calgary fans still say he's overpaid by about 500k.

If they only knew...

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
LOL! Yes, a 25 year old who scored 16 goals last season is comparable to a guy who signed UFA contract. Even if he just keeps up his scoring pace and doesn't ever best it he is gonna blow Dorsett's UFA contract out of the water. Not even comparable.

Good job guys. Keystone cops.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think he does scrum quite a bit? Very physical and mixes it up. Hence the comparison.

And "buying" UFA years from irrelevant players is not a factor.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I think he does scrum quite a bit? Very physical and mixes it up. Hence the comparison.

And "buying" UFA years from irrelevant players is not a factor.

If I have to explain to you the difference between a 25 year old contract and a UFA contract there is no point.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
If I have to explain to you the difference between a 25 year old contract and a UFA contract there is no point.

I'm fully aware of that.

But you don't seem to be about the fact that buying out UFA years from players like Dorsett and Sbisa is irrelevant because they are not really good players.

Buying UFA years is not a proper reason to overpay a fringe asset when you can easily get a better player from UFA market. For cheaper.

The reason why they are comparable is because they play the same role and are similar type of players.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Right, but now you are comparing a good young physical player who had a pretty good season vs a guy who is an established player who has OK value as a UFA whether you like it or not. Dorsett was going to get paid this kind of money, there is not much dispute I would think!

You have to draft players like him to get any kind of deal on players with his skill set. I might just say, I don't think Bouma is much of a discount. Former 3rd round picks who have a good season at 25 get OK money but nothing like that kind of deal generally speaking. He got paid, again because of his skill set. That being said, I still don't think they are comparable. Bouma will likely get to 20ish goals in his career and maybe might have the skill to be a 2nd liner on a pretty good team, again unlike Dorsett.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Right, but now you are comparing a good young physical player who had a pretty good season vs a guy who is an established player who has OK value as a UFA whether you like it or not. Dorsett was going to get paid this kind of money, there is not much dispute I would think!

You have to draft players like him to get any kind of deal on players with his skill set. I might just say, I don't think Bouma is much of a discount. Former 3rd round picks who have a good season at 25 get OK money but nothing like that kind of deal generally speaking. He got paid, again because of his skill set. That being said, I still don't think they are comparable. Bouma will likely get to 20ish goals in his career and maybe might have the skill to be a 2nd liner on a pretty good team, again unlike Dorsett.

I don't know about Bouma's potential, honestly I think it's very good if he can duplicate and amazing if he can improve from last year.

The way I see Bouma, he is in his prime age at the moment. Like it's been said many times, players like this burn out quick, and buying UFA years from these guys is actually kind of a detriment because they will start sucking once they reach 30.

I don't know how much Dorsett would've got in the market. This summer seemed to be the first where fringe players didn't get massive deals from desperate GMs. But anyway Benning was the one who gave him an "easy negotiation", and a massive deal as a result.

Last edited:

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I don't know about Bouma's potential, honestly I think it's very good if he can duplicate and amazing if he can improve from last year.

The way I see Bouma, he is in his prime age at the moment. Like it's been said many times, players like this burn out quick, and buying UFA years from these guys is actually kind of a detriment because they will start sucking once they reach 30.

I don't know how much Dorsett would've got in the market. This summer seemed to be the first where fringe players didn't get massive deals from desperate GMs. But anyway Benning was the one who gave him an "easy negotiation", and a massive deal as a result.

Was it really an easy negotiation? I doubt it. Seems like that is a term for people who don't like the contract and then try to create a story where they can disparage benning as well. He got market value when he signed his contract. Who would have known the ufa market this year would not be a complete gm money throwing free for all?

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Was it really an easy negotiation? I doubt it. Seems like that is a term for people who don't like the contract and then try to create a story where they can disparage benning as well.

He got market value when he signed his contract. Who would have known the ufa market this year would not be a complete gm money throwing free for all?

Benning signed the Sbisa/Dorsett contracts before he needed to. If he waited he would've got better value and had more information on what the final salary cap would be. Richardson 2M, and Matthias 2.3M both superior players to Dorsett.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Was it really an easy negotiation? I doubt it. Seems like that is a term for people who don't like the contract and then try to create a story where they can disparage benning as well. He got market value when he signed his contract. Who would have known the ufa market this year would not be a complete gm money throwing free for all?

Market value for a fourth line plug is 2.65 million per year at 4 years?

Kenins can do what Dorsett does but better except for the 17 useless fights. Kenins also makes 2 million less.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary

Benning signed the Sbisa/Dorsett contracts before he needed to. If he waited he would've got better value and had more information on what the final salary cap would be. Richardson 2M, and Matthias 2.3M both superior players to Dorsett.

Okay, not a hard negotiation can mean many things. Not just benning threw money at him. How about both parties wanted him to stay and were willing to accept market value?

And with the timing of the signing of Dorsett's contract, I say again who would have known the ufa market would be as it is. He might have cost more on the open market, hindsight is awesome. Don't drag sbisa's contract into this because that has no bearing on Dorsett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad