Derek Dorsett

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
To be fair Benning was the one that said he was going to get Dorsett help. Then he texted DD first after the Prust trade. Benning is the one playing up the whole fighting angle. If I was the GM I'd tell Dorsett to take it easy in the fighting department and just focus on playing. 5-6 fights a year is enough. Most of them are staged BS anyway.

Wow totally pathetic. :sarcasm:

arsmaster*

Fair enough. I was a bit hyperbolous there.

I just find the idea Dorsett is this ideal tough guy whose fights really mean a lot doesn't hold up. The team probably got a bigger lift out of Hamhuis coming to his rescue.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
To be fair Benning was the one that said he was going to get Dorsett help. Then he texted DD first after the Prust trade. Benning is the one playing up the whole fighting angle. If I was the GM I'd tell Dorsett to take it easy in the fighting department and just focus on playing. 5-6 fights a year is enough. Most of them are staged BS anyway.

5 mil in combined cap space in doing something that Dale Weise at 1.25 mil can do better at. It also cost an additional roster spot / Kassian / 5th round pick.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
5 mil in combined cap space in doing something that Dale Weise at 1.25 mil can do better at. It also cost an additional roster spot / Kassian / 5th round pick.

I still can't believe we gave up Kassian for a goon.

It's pathetic. And that Dorsett thanks Benning.

Can't wait till Benning gets canned.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I still can't believe we gave up Kassian for a goon.

It's pathetic. And that Dorsett thanks Benning.

yeah. its ****ing embarassing that dorsett would rather get help fighting because he can't do his job by himself than ice a better team

"sorry guys, having to fight less to earn my 2.6 million ****ing dollars is more important than winning games"

Wow totally pathetic. :sarcasm:

it really is. it shows dorsett doesn't even have enough character to want to win hockey games. the dude literally wants nothing other than to perpetuate his job by keeping other fighters employed, at the expense of a good hockey team

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Fair enough. I was a bit hyperbolous there.

I just find the idea Dorsett is this ideal tough guy whose fights really mean a lot doesn't hold up. The team probably got a bigger lift out of Hamhuis coming to his rescue.

I don't even consider Dorsett a fighter. Maybe an agitator ala lapierre but that's about it.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
yeah. its ****ing embarassing that dorsett would rather get help fighting because he can't do his job by himself than ice a better team

"sorry guys, having to fight less to earn my 2.6 million ****ing dollars is more important than winning games"

it really is. it shows dorsett doesn't even have enough character to want to win hockey games. the dude literally wants nothing other than to perpetuate his job by keeping other fighters employed, at the expense of a good hockey team

It's pathetic.

Dorsett is pathetic. Can't wait till he is gone.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014

It's pathetic.

Dorsett is pathetic. Can't wait till he is gone.

This is garbage. Blame the management that puts Dorsett on a pedestal, not the player himself. I don't blame a 4th line calibre guy for taking a $10 mill contract. Dorsett should be on 1 or 2 year deals making 1.5M. The fact that our GM decides DD is a core player isn't his fault.

Blame Benning for valuing staged fights. Blame Benning for trading assets for "fighting help." Blame Desjardins for using Dorsett as an extra attacker. Don't blame the guy going head first into every body check just because these morons see him as a keystone player.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Dorsett is fine. I said as much when they got him. He's a serviceable 12th forward -- and if a team wants a guy that will fight, he's at least passably useful. He plays hard, but he's a max-effort guy that disappears in the post-season when everyone else's effort ratchets up. That's not a knock against him. If anything, it's impressive that he gives that much effort all season long.

But the way he was over-utilized is what led to the ridiculous contract. The Canucks have different facets of management (Linden, Benning, Weisbrod, Desjardins) all making different mistakes that compound one another. It's the antithesis of how a management team should work.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I take it you missed the Jordin Tootoo experiment in Detroit?

Ken Holland was willing to step up and pay a high price in free agency to add toughness that could skate on his 4th line. Probably was looking for it since Darren McCarty faded off into retirement.

3 years is better than 4
$1.9m is better than $2.65m

How did that end?

42 games before Holland woke up and thought what the Frick did I just do! Manned up, grew a pair and corrected the mistake.

Waivers
Grand rapids griffins
Buyout

Are you projecting this as the future of Derek Dorsett? Comets then buyout?

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
This is garbage. Blame the management that puts Dorsett on a pedestal, not the player himself. I don't blame a 4th line calibre guy for taking a $10 mill contract. Dorsett should be on 1 or 2 year deals making 1.5M. The fact that our GM decides DD is a core player isn't his fault.

Blame Benning for valuing staged fights. Blame Benning for trading assets for "fighting help." Blame Desjardins for using Dorsett as an extra attacker. Don't blame the guy going head first into every body check just because these morons see him as a keystone player.

I'm somehow supposed to accept that he took advantage of a idiot.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
3 years is better than 4

How did that end?

Later 42 games before Holland woke up and thought what the Frick did I just do! Manned up, grew a pair and corrected the mistake.

Waivers
Grand rapids griffins
Buyout

I am....

I hope he get's bought out. Don't want him anywhere near this team.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
3 years is better than 4

How did that end?

42 games before Holland woke up and thought what the Frick did I just do! Manned up, grew a pair and corrected the mistake.

Waivers
Grand rapids griffins
Buyout

no way this happens, that would suggest that benning has the ability to realize when he makes mistakes

arsmaster*

Yea the player praised by teammates and voted unsung hero shouldn't be anywhere near the team ROFL

Steve Bernier won that award before. Not sure if you missed it either. The BS narrative of it being voted by the players was that BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I am....

I hope he get's bought out. Don't want him anywhere near this team.

I don't think he is a good influence on young players on the ice. Off the ice he might put in the work, review tapes or whatever PR spin you want to put on it.

On the ice he doesn't play the right way. No player who has a negative possession numbers season after season plays the right way.

Next year he won't covert on as many scoring chances will inevitably dragging down whatever young 4C we have. Hopefully our next GM can trade him for a 3rd to a team that can use a player like him.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Dorsett is the best 4th liner we have had in years…… But the Benning haters are just looking for an excuse to hate on another on of his moves :laugh:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Dorsett is the best 4th liner we have had in years…… But the Benning haters are just looking for an excuse to hate on another on of his moves :laugh:

At $2.5m he better be the best 4th liners they have ever had.:laugh: He's not even as good as Richardson so he wasn't even the best 4th liner last year.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
At $2.5m he better be the best 4th liners they have ever had.:laugh: He's not even as good as Richardson so he wasn't even the best 4th liner last year.
Richardson was our 3rd line center last year. Horvat was out #4 center.

Also, Horvat > Dorsett. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad