Derek Dorsett

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Well it's not horrible, especially since it's been a real downfall of the team in recent years.

The downfall of this core has never been and will never be the 4th line.

If Benning wanted a better 4th line he would've brought in top 6 guys to push tweeners down to the bottom 6. Higgins and Hansen (2.5M each) are much better players. They would be much better 4th liners as well.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
You're taking his quote out of context, but hey who gives a **** right..

Often when people say things that might be harmful to another in public they qualify it with a bunch of platitudes. "Oh I really like that person, but..." Is essentially what Richardson said.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
• Zack Kassian is poised to return to the Canucks’ lineup, and Brad Richardson has some interesting things to say about him: “He’s hilarious and you want to be around him. But you need to be ready for games, too. I’m not saying that was an issue, but as you get older you learn better how to prepare and for a guy like him, he needs to learn to pull it in. It’s not like he’s doing a bad job, it’s just that you have to improve and not take a while to get into a game — you’re in the game right away.”

I dont agree, but to each his own

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
• Zack Kassian is poised to return to the Canucks’ lineup, and Brad Richardson has some interesting things to say about him: “He’s hilarious and you want to be around him. But you need to be ready for games, too. I’m not saying that was an issue, but as you get older you learn better how to prepare and for a guy like him, he needs to learn to pull it in. It’s not like he’s doing a bad job, it’s just that you have to improve and not take a while to get into a game — you’re in the game right away.â€

I dont agree, but to each his own

It really is the mildest sort of criticism imaginable.

And using this quote as evidence that a player was a cancer and NEEDED to be traded is just outright laughable.

Doubly so when another, worse player on the team who is the same age openly admitted he wasn't ready to play for large portions of last season ... and was rewarded with tons of icetime and PP time shoved down his throat, and then a 30% raise after the season.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

And using this quote as evidence that a player was a cancer and NEEDED to be traded is just outright laughable.

Doubly so when another, worse player on the team who is the same age openly admitted he wasn't ready to play for large portions of last season ... and was rewarded with tons of icetime and PP time shoved down his throat, and then a 30% raise after the season.

It's apparent that there is no true logical consistency or consistency of process when it comes to the way this management team appraises players.

Well other than the "consistency" of "Gillis acquired him" and "I like this guy". BUt nothing when it comes to the questions of whether a guy can actually play hockey or the role he's been given....the important questions.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
yeah. its ****ing embarassing that dorsett would rather get help fighting because he can't do his job by himself than ice a better team

"sorry guys, having to fight less to earn my 2.6 million ****ing dollars is more important than winning games"
I find it embarrassing that "needing help fighting more" is even a concern of a hockey club in the civilized world.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

In most instances a player like Richardson would have gone straight to hockey talk, giving talking points on Kassian. Rather, Richardson stoked the media flames further by candidly opening up and levying some advice for the troubled winger based on the things Richardson had noticed were wrong with his preparation. That's something you just don't hear every day in the NHL community. Usually players just give the most generic answers possible, especially when asked about teammates. I mean see the Sedins comments as te prime example. That's usually the way players respond when asked about other teammates. Richardson, who played with Kassian and was most effected by his prep problems spoke out publicly, why is that?

But please continue brushing it aside as a nothing comment.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
In most instances a player like Richardson would have gone straight to hockey talk, giving talking points on Kassian. Rather, Richardson stoked the media flames further by candidly opening up and levying some advice for the troubled winger based on the things Richardson had noticed were wrong with his preparation. That's something you just don't hear every day in the NHL community. Usually players just give the most generic answers possible, especially when asked about teammates.

There is huge gulf between "sure he can likely prepare better etc" and "he's a locker room cancer that will never get it so get rid of him at all costs".

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
There is huge gulf between "sure he can likely prepare better etc" and "he's a locker room cancer that will never get it so get rid of him at all costs".

Why even make the comment? Why not revert to generic "hockey answers" like we've seen Richardson do a million times? Why speak publicly about the problems of a teammate?

Richardsons been around the block, he knows exactly what he was doing airing some dirty laundry in public.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
What dirty laundry? He was asked about Kassian because Kass was a big news story this year

You keep inventing false story lines or exaggerating others to fit your weak arguments no one agrees with give it a reat

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
What dirty laundry? He was asked about Kassian because Kass was a big news story this year

You keep inventing false story lines or exaggerating others to fit your weak arguments no one agrees with give it a reat

And usually players say something like "it's great to have Kass back in the lineup he's been battling real hard in practice i really like his passes and size on the ice"

Why didn't Richardson answer that way? Why did he feel the need to comment on Kassian's preparation problems? Seems weird to go public when there was already a media firestorm around the team regarding Kassian's usage. Seems strange Richardson would fuel that fire.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Literally only you think this :laugh:

Do people not realize how slow and bad Prust is now? I couldnt careless how he prepares for a game to be not effective on the ice

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Why does Dorsett need fighting help? We are paying him enough that he should be able to handle the sideshow by himself

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why even make the comment? Why not revert to generic "hockey answers" like we've seen Richardson do a million times? Why speak publicly about the problems of a teammate?

Richardsons been around the block, he knows exactly what he was doing airing some dirty laundry in public.

Because they were trying to get him to understand as teammates or something? But they also loved the guy as a person that much was clear. He wasn't a cancer but they wanted him to get into the game right away. That you don't have shifts to do it. Be ready to go. If I recall the article the questions were also tilted or loaded towards the "what does he have to do to stay in the lineup" angle and the players were really just repeating the coaches stance which isn't unusual. Richardson also, again i fmy recollection is accurate, said Kassian was an okay job. He wasn't some unmitigated disaster that needed to be ditched at all costs.

It also ignores that those were comments made early in the year and the GM that traded him later in the year talked specifically how good Kassian played the last 6 weeks or so before he got his season ending injury. I'm not sure I'd be propping up an argument using a a pretty nebulous statement made by a guy at the beginning of the year based on a somewhat leading question when the a couple months later there was a huge difference in how he was playing. If anything it shows how he was indeed getting better at that aspect of the game.

And honestly it all reeks as simple excuses from a management team that tried really hard to get Kane who was definitely a locker room cancer in Winnipeg (whether his fault or not he was the guy getting moved). Then again I don't expect any sort of consistency with this management team.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In most instances a player like Richardson would have gone straight to hockey talk, giving talking points on Kassian. Rather, Richardson stoked the media flames further by candidly opening up and levying some advice for the troubled winger based on the things Richardson had noticed were wrong with his preparation. That's something you just don't hear every day in the NHL community. Usually players just give the most generic answers possible, especially when asked about teammates. I mean see the Sedins comments as te prime example. That's usually the way players respond when asked about other teammates. Richardson, who played with Kassian and was most effected by his prep problems spoke out publicly, why is that?

He was asked point blank about Kassian and gave a team-friendly response where he parroted some of the coach's talking points (sort of) but also complimented Kassian as a person. It was just a nothing response.

And this is nothing unusual for a 23 y/o player.

Again, why aren't you outraged that we're keeping (with a 30% raise!) an inferior player in Vey who openly admitted he wasn't ready to play on many nights last year? Shouldn't we have booted this player into the wilderness so he wasn't around our young players?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Literally only you think this :laugh:

Do people not realize how slow and bad Prust is now? I couldnt careless how he prepares for a game to be not effective on the ice

I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Most accounts from the Habs side said he was a great role player who looked a little run down last year. There is a lot that can happen from one year to the next. I would bet he trains harder than he normally would after the trade and comes in ready to have his best year possible. It would only help him for free agency anyway.

Why does Dorsett need fighting help? We are paying him enough that he should be able to handle the sideshow by himself

Didn't Dorsett lead the NHL in fighting majors last year because we had literally no one else that could or would drop the gloves? Dorsett is there to provide energy, toughness, and intimidation, not simply fulfill a pure fighting role. It will certainly be helpful if Dorsett is not our only option there, although I'm sure he could continue to do so if necessary.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Or we could not have fighters on the team :dunno:

Seems redundant to spend actual assets on things that won't help us win...

For the price we got prust and Dorsett we could have gotten Jagr.

I wouldn't mind seeing Horvat, Virtanen, Kenins rubbing elbows with Jagr.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Or we could not have fighters on the team :dunno:

Seems redundant to spend actual assets on things that won't help us win...

For the price we got prust and Dorsett we could have gotten Jagr.

I wouldn't mind seeing Horvat, Virtanen, Kenins rubbing elbows with Jagr.

jagr would come
To the west coast let alone Canada? Come on

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine