Delta Center Everything Thread

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
SCRUGGS: Mark, I don't believe that the Valley population has a real interest in ice hockey. Maybe never will. All the knocks that they didn't draw people to the games because it was so far away are a bunch of baloney. They didn't draw people when they were downtown Phoenix. If you think about it, in the 20-some-odd years that the Coyotes team was in the Valley — and I don't know how many exactly — they never grew their base beyond 4,000 to 5,000 people. What does that really say? I say it has nothing to do with the location. It has to do with the product.

If you choose the "Listen to the story" option, you get a bit more content and it's worth it.

• Haha
Reactions: TheLegend

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
'round these parts they bandwagon for other teams. Where ya been?
I am aware but those bandwagoners never had an opportunity to jump wagons.

SCRUGGS: Mark, I don't believe that the Valley population has a real interest in ice hockey. Maybe never will. All the knocks that they didn't draw people to the games because it was so far away are a bunch of baloney. They didn't draw people when they were downtown Phoenix. If you think about it, in the 20-some-odd years that the Coyotes team was in the Valley — and I don't know how many exactly — they never grew their base beyond 4,000 to 5,000 people. What does that really say? I say it has nothing to do with the location. It has to do with the product.

If you choose the "Listen to the story" option, you get a bit more content and it's worth it.
This is ignorant or lying. They did draw in Phoenix. Also, mad name drop here…once upon a time her husband was a colleague of mine.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
1717620025019.png

(Greg Esposito)

16,210 *.25 = 12,157 so 14,592 was well above unobstructed capacity

Teams the Coyotes outdrew:
1995-96 Boston, Ottawa, Florida, Hartford, Islanders, Los Angeles
1996-97 Boston, Ottawa, Florida, Hartford, Islanders, Los Angeles
1997-98 Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, Florida, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Islanders, Carolina
1998-99 Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, Islanders, Carolina
1999-00 Vancouver, Washington, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Islanders
2000-01 Anaheim, Carolina, Islanders
2001-02 Anaheim

(Prior to the move to Tempe, there were only two seasons where the Coyotes were last in attendance)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I am aware but those bandwagoners never had an opportunity to jump wagons.
They sure did, but they didn't. Reminds me of a story I've shared before / before your time. Just prior to the season after our 2010 playoff appearance (first in eight years), the team had a function at the arena. At the event my rep approached me and asked if I'd go down to the club for a Q&A with Maloney, intended for "prospective sth's. He seemed nearly insistent that I go, so I told him I would. Long story short? The aghast look on Maloney's face when he came out, saw less than one dozen folks waiting and questions "this is it?" told the entire story of Az fans.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
View attachment 879800
(Greg Esposito)

16,210 *.25 = 12,157 so 14,592 was well above unobstructed capacity

Teams the Coyotes outdrew:
1995-96 Boston, Ottawa, Florida, Hartford, Islanders, Los Angeles
1996-97 Boston, Ottawa, Florida, Hartford, Islanders, Los Angeles
1997-98 Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, Florida, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Islanders, Carolina
1998-99 Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, Islanders, Carolina
1999-00 Vancouver, Washington, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Islanders
2000-01 Anaheim, Carolina, Islanders
2001-02 Anaheim

(Prior to the move to Tempe, there were only two seasons where the Coyotes were last in attendance)
Lotta free tickets in those days. I used to coach youth hockey, parents would ask if I (or anyone else) went to such and such a game and the conversation would turn to how each that went got their tickets, I recall very few actually being bought. It was so rampant that one time a parent proclaimed that "everybody goes, but nobody ever buys tickets!"

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Lotta free tickets in those days. I used to coach youth hockey, parents would ask if I (or anyone else) went to such and such a game and the conversation would turn to how each that went got their tickets, I recall very few actually being bought. It was so rampant that one time a parent proclaimed that "everybody goes, but nobody ever buys tickets!"
That's cool that folks got free tickets. I had to pay for mine.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And Mullett provided that? That's the point.
Useless point.

Mullett was a temporary solution. That was made clear from the get go.

Delta Center as it exists now is also a temporary solution.

Big difference being the NHL thinks Delta will get resolved before Meruelo can get his plans rolling..... and they like Smith better.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Useless point.

Mullett was a temporary solution. That was made clear from the get go.

Delta Center as it exists now is also a temporary solution.

Big difference being the NHL thinks Delta will get resolved before Meruelo can get his plans rolling..... and they like Smith better.
They are notorious for their judgement of character! :sarcasm:

Reactions: TheLegend

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
They sure did, but they didn't. Reminds me of a story I've shared before / before your time. Just prior to the season after our 2010 playoff appearance (first in eight years), the team had a function at the arena. At the event my rep approached me and asked if I'd go down to the club for a Q&A with Maloney, intended for "prospective sth's. He seemed nearly insistent that I go, so I told him I would. Long story short? The aghast look on Maloney's face when he came out, saw less than one dozen folks waiting and questions "this is it?" told the entire story of Az fans.

The season right after the team was put into bankruptcy and put under the control of the NHL?

Lots of rumors of the team leaving around that time. Attendance figures dropped very significantly after the BK and never fully rebounded.

Edit: The few that did show up probably weren't really even interested in season tix. They just wanted to meet Maloney before the team relocated :laugh:

Edit edit: Just realized this is the Utah board. My apologies y'all!

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The season right after the team was put into bankruptcy and put under the control of the NHL?

Lots of rumors of the team leaving around that time. Attendance figures dropped very significantly after the BK and never fully rebounded.

Edit: The few that did show up probably weren't really even interested in season tix. They just wanted to meet Maloney before the team relocated :laugh:

Edit edit: Just realized this is the Utah board. My apologies y'all!
Of course, because a pathetic fanbase worries more about who owns the team and where it may be in a year, etc. then they do the hockey.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
I wouldn't know, but (if true) it sounds as if they are correct.

Yeah, but I won't be silenced.

Doesn't seem there's even a handful from Utah here anyway.
Maybe some self reflection on how things were for Jets fans when they moved to PHX. No one in PHX was immediately on forums or knew what the rules were. Give them time just like PHX fans were given… maybe aim to be better than the angry commenters instead of repeating history.

You are obviously mad and hurt. That’s understandable BUT it’s not Utah’s fault. Just as it was not your fault the Jets left.

Step away from the forum because people are getting tired of your pointless cyclic rants.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Maybe some self reflection on how things were for Jets fans when they moved to PHX. No one in PHX was immediately on forums or knew what the rules were. Give them time just like PHX fans were given… maybe aim to be better than the angry commenters instead of repeating history.

You are obviously mad and hurt. That’s understandable BUT it’s not Utah’s fault. Just as it was not your fault the Jets left.

Step away from the forum because people are getting tired of your pointless cyclic rants.
Me thinks you should spend more time on the forum, because I can't find a single thing in your above post that you got right.

I do apologize, if I gave you the impression that I give a damn about what anyone else likes though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

CD is obsessed with the Coyote's, probably hockey in general, and anyone who isn't he thinks they should be. I have no idea why so many are still arguing about the Coyote's. The team is GONE. Focus on the future should be our goal. It's starts with the auction. Win, we have hope, lose we may as well direct our time and energy at something other than NHL hockey in Arizona.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Focus on the future should be our goal. It's starts with the auction. Win, we have hope, lose we may as well direct our time and energy at something other than NHL hockey in Arizona.
For the future to be a success, if there is a future, fans will need to show up, rain, or shine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad