News Article: Delete

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I see it as Crosby/McDavid in tier one and then Karlsson right after with a couple others.

I think I agree with that, and while McDavid has been on fire, he's young and is still not on Crosby's complete level yet. The experience, and the cups set him aside as a singular player I think.

McDavid still has to form his legacy, but has lots of time.

EK also has to start his legacy, and I think this contract will be the starting point.

Reactions: Smeddy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Dorion trades Karlsson and includes Ryan in the deal and turns this into something remotely palatable I will be shocked.
I hope Karlsson will want to stay for 10 million ish.. and that the writing for a trade is not already etched in the wall.
We need to sign Duchene and we need to sign Stone; Everybody else is expendable and has to fit inside the budget that's left.
Keeping Karlsson will mean eating Ryan's salary for at least another year
Move Ceci
Move Hoffman
Move Smith
Turf Burrows - buyout or give away with Smith for a 7th
Turf Gaborik - buyout
IMO Ceci will want more than what the Sens can afford and should be moved; The Sens don't have a lot of talent up front , but Hoffman will be due again soon enough and we can get something good back for him. How much will Dzingel want? 4 or under would be ok, will he want more? If so we likely move him

The challenge for Dorion will be filling in the team with enough talent to return to bubble status while remaining under Melnyk's budget

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
We all like EK, but he's not Crosby on any level.

I agree, but that’s not the argument I’m addressing.

You’re saying EK isn’t good enough to warrant that kind of money but Crosby is. That’s fine and I think it’s a valid argument.

Some are saying that this team simply can’t tie up that kind of money in one player. I think that argument, on the other hand, is ridiculous (which is why I brought up McDavid and Crosby).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Use Crosby then.

Plenty of people are saying that this team cannot tie up that much salary in a single player. So if we had a 29 year old Sidney Crosby in today’s league, we wouldn’t pay him 12.5?

the issue for me isn't the player, it's being 29. I don't think I'd sign ANY player to an 8 year deal at 15% cap.

the game has become younger and faster. Having big money tied up to a player thru age 37 has proven over and over again that it's a problem.

Karlsson, being an elite skater, might buck that trend. But it's a risk. And if we are able to get a very strong package to move him then assessing that versus the risk is prudent imo.

Reactions: TNUOC ALUCARD

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
What's the likely structure for Karlsson deal ?

How much variance can you have year to year again ?

Because clearly he would want to front load it and Melnyk would likely want it even or backloaded.

Backloading it might be the smartest move if you can get Karlsson to agree. You lower the cash out while you wait for fortunes to turn on the arena / owner front.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

Because clearly he would want to front load it and Melnyk would likely want it even or backloaded.

Backloading it might be the smartest move if you can get Karlsson to agree. You lower the cash out while you wait for fortunes to turn on the arena / owner front.
I’ll assume Karlsson would want front load and signing bonus heavy, like most star players.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

IIRC, they don't allow for much variance anymore. That CBA loophole was effectively closed in 2012.

The structure of the deal is already largely in place. He gets max term - that's clear. Team will offer $10 mil per, his agent will ask for $12 mil per, they'll settle in the middle. Either we give him that deal, or someone else does. (Minus a year because the CBA only allows for eight years if you are re-signing your own player.)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

not to mention Ryan's contract , P9's retention, and any possible buyouts coming off in the lower years. I too am not sure on the rules governing a player's salary structure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
By all accounts Vegas wouldn't budge on the demand of a first round pick to not take methot, and then were pissed at Ottawa for not meeting their demands and wouldn't negotiate with them after the fact to trade methot back.

That's what's been reported anyway. Everything aside from that is speculation.

From what I can tell, what was widely reported was the ask to protect him. What was widely speculated (mostly by fans not anyone reputable from what I can find now) was that the trade demands for Ottawa to reacquire him were significantly higher than what Dallas ended up getting him for.

Again though, I have no issues with anyone suggesting Ottawa was smart not to pay what LV was asking, though it never made any sense that we'd be willing to reacquire him but then come free agency have zero interest in any of the dmen other than the bargain bin variety, the whole situation smells really fishy. My issue was with somebody suggesting the should have offered enough to get a deal done, and getting a response that was about us signing him 3 years earlier as though that has anything to do with it. That was my point,

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree, but that’s not the argument I’m addressing.

You’re saying EK isn’t good enough to warrant that kind of money but Crosby is. That’s fine and I think it’s a valid argument.

Some are saying that this team simply can’t tie up that kind of money in one player. I think that argument, on the other hand, is ridiculous (which is why I brought up McDavid and Crosby).

Ah, gotcha. I think we can tie up that kind of money in one player, even with a budget, which really isn't that small right now, and we shouldn't;t be a cap team at the moment regardless as we'll need that space soon, but I shudder to think what a max contact will look over the years, though EK is as good a bet as any out there.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think EK when at his best and healthy is the third best player in the NHL, on the same level as Malkin, Ovie, and I'm sure a couple other massive stars I'm forgetting. McDavid has the raw ability, while Crosby has the experience to go with the ability, but I think both are better.

It would be hard to give up a couple of years, and easy to get several more, but if they were all the same age, I would trade EK straight up for either McDavid or Crosby, especially Crosby as he's also an experienced winner.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
From what I can tell, what was widely reported was the ask to protect him. What was widely speculated (mostly by fans not anyone reputable from what I can find now) was that the trade demands for Ottawa to reacquire him were significantly higher than what Dallas ended up getting him for.

Again though, I have no issues with anyone suggesting Ottawa was smart not to pay what LV was asking, though it never made any sense that we'd be willing to reacquire him but then come free agency have zero interest in any of the dmen other than the bargain bin variety, the whole situation smells really fishy. My issue was with somebody suggesting the should have offered enough to get a deal done, and getting a response that was about us signing him 3 years earlier as though that has anything to do with it. That was my point,

Fair enough, i wasn't happy at all when the Senators didn't sign an adequate free agent to replace methot either. Or by trading away Phaneuf. That blueline was rock solid last year, and is an absolute mess now.

I don't know how they fix it next season, unless they fluke into Dahlin and Karlsson signs a contract. If Karlsson leaves and Ottawa picks 3-5 where they're most likely to land . . . that defense is the worst in the league.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Fair enough, i wasn't happy at all when the Senators didn't sign an adequate free agent to replace methot either. Or by trading away Phaneuf. That blueline was rock solid last year, and is an absolute mess now.

I don't know how they fix it next season, unless they fluke into Dahlin and Karlsson signs a contract. If Karlsson leaves and Ottawa picks 3-5 where they're most likely to land . . . that defense is the worst in the league.
Small solace would be that this draft seems stocked with good Dmen. We can probably find a couple studs at 3-5 and 20-30. Doesn't help us next season but 3 years out.

And Wolanin, Jaros and Chabot are all gonna be nice players imo. I still like Harpur too but that's not such an in vogue opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

True. IMO there is a lot of mess to clean up..Trade for Brassard give up a 2nd (this year).. Then trade Brassard with no real 2C to fill in so that position needs to be replaced .. and give up a 3rd (this year). No first next year, likely to be a pretty good pick at least... Karlsson very uncertain to be here, and that uncertainty is handcuffing to a degree; several key contracts and personnel decisions to make; lack of depth everywhere; Prospects are not capable or ready to take over big roles, not addressing the top 6 or the D depth, big question marks in goal. It does not look too rosey at the moment. A couple of bad contracts to work around. I don't see a quick way out of this.I think its looking like a rebuild and most of it is on Dorion imo. Overestimating where we were at the start of this year and not addressing key weak spots with the limited resources he had to work with.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Spezza, Alfredsson, Heatley, Chara, Yashin, Hossa, were all league wide superstars. Redden could make an argument as well.

I'm not buying your argument.

Like I said earlier I don't want to get into a semantic argument about the definition of superstar. I gave mine and I'll leave it at that.

Whatever your definition is, which two superstars are you suggesting the sens sign for 8 million each rather than sign Karlsson and Smith?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad