News Article: Delete

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I don't think "can afford" is the issue, as much as you'd like it to be. It's more like should we lock that much money up for that long on one player.

It's very debatable one way or another. The last 3-4 years of that deal at 12.5 million could be brutal.

It is very debatable.

At the same time, we took a chance on Ryan, albeit not as long, but the money locked up there isn’t helping us at all considering the results. I feel investing in EK long term is a calculated risk that we must take. As long as we can also afford the core. He needs to be surrounded by quality players, otherwise, I feel it defeats the purpose.

It’s a tough decision, but easier to make for those who know the budget... and have the right frame of mind in building a winning team.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I’m particularly curious given that I’d argue Karlsson is the only legit superstar this franchise has ever had.
we've been lucky to have several superstars, though no one as dominant as EK

i think the Sens will give Karlsson a fair offer, and it'll be Karlsson's decision which is the best we can do.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
we've been lucky to have several superstars, but still no one as dominant as EK

I’m not going to argue semaintics with you so I’ll just give you my POV.

The closest we’ve come aside from Karlsson (in my definition) is Heatley but to be a superstar or a star among stars you really have to stand out, likely with some hardware.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
EK is the only superstar this team has had. Alfie, Hossa, Chara, Spezza, Redden, Heatley were great and dominant players and can play on my team any time, EK is on another level. He has more awards then all those guys put together and that says it all.

Reactions: Bileur

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
we've been lucky to have several superstars, though no one as dominant as EK

i think the Sens will give Karlsson a fair offer, and it'll be Karlsson's decision which is the best we can do.

A fair offer is relative to what exactly? If it’s relative to “hey, we can only afford to tack on an extra 1M a year for you...” and EK turns it down, I don’t see that he becomes the culprit.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
The closest we’ve come aside from Karlsson (in my definition) is Heatley but to be a superstar or a star among stars you really have to stand out, likely with some hardware.
My definition is looser i suppose. Karlsson went further than a superstar by being one of the best to play at his best among his peers, which is a high standard for even superstars. I'd consider players like Petro/Subban/Burns superstars so for me, it's ok if they don't have hardware because the truly best hog the top awards.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
A fair offer is relative to what exactly? If it’s relative to “hey, we can only afford to tack on an extra 1M a year for you...” and EK turns it down, I don’t see that he becomes the culprit.
imo an offer both Karlsson and the Sens feel is fair. I think they would be able to come to that number. If Karlsson doesn't stay, I feel it won't be because of the number.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
imo an offer both Karlsson and the Sens feel is fair. I think they would be able to come to that number. If Karlsson doesn't stay, I feel it won't be because of the number.
In that scenario, I would agree. I also hope it happens.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It is very debatable.

At the same time, we took a chance on Ryan, albeit not as long, but the money locked up there isn’t helping us at all considering the results. I feel investing in EK long term is a calculated risk that we must take. As long as we can also afford the core. He needs to be surrounded by quality players, otherwise, I feel it defeats the purpose.

It’s a tough decision, but easier to make for those who know the budget... and have the right frame of mind in building a winning team.
12.5 is a large chunk of the budget which definitely isn't the cap. To spread the rest amongst the core of Duchene, Stone and a couple of other good pieces, which we desperately need and have good depth will be difficult

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It’s not a mystery that Doughty and Karlsson who have the same agent spoke out within days of each other about their rate as a player. Difference is L.A. Ignored it because it’s not the time to negotiate, Ottawa’s ownership has a thin skin and reacted poorly and it became personal. It should of been an episode that just should got swept away in the sports-spincycle, but Canadian markets want their superstars to want to be there, the fans have to feel like the superstars want to wear their crest, it’s part of hockey lore and Canadian hockey fan mentality . Matthews has a feeling of destiny to him, Macdavid, Price in Montreal was the perfect fit for a long time. Karlsson grew his game in Ottawa to be a one talent Cup contender. He has to stay.

It has to be a minimum of $80 million, 8 years. Probably has to be $90 million. If it can’t be, Ottawa as a franchise will never fully recover from Karlsson until they win a Cup. He will haunt the Senators until the Stanley Cup is walked down Elgin st.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It’s not a mystery that Doughty and Karlsson who have the same agent spoke out within days of each other about their rate as a player. Difference is L.A. Ignored it because it’s not the time to negotiate, Ottawa’s ownership has a thin skin and reacted poorly and it became personal. It should of been an episode that just should got swept away in the sports-spincycle, but Canadian markets want their superstars to want to be there, the fans have to feel like the superstars want to wear their crest, it’s part of hockey lore and Canadian hockey fan mentality . Matthews has a feeling of destiny to him, Macdavid, Price in Montreal was the perfect fit for a long time. Karlsson grew his game in Ottawa to be a one talent Cup contender. He has to stay.

It has to be a minimum of $80 million, 8 years. Probably has to be $90 million. If it can’t be, Ottawa as a franchise will never fully recover from Karlsson until they win a Cup. He will haunt the Senators until the Stanley Cup is walked down Elgin st.
The Curse of the Karlsson like the Curse of the Bambino .. 84 years isn't that long I guess

Reactions: Tuna99

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
12.5 is a large chunk of the budget which definitely isn't the cap. To spread the rest amongst the core of Duchene, Stone and a couple of other good pieces, which we desperately need and have good depth will be difficult

Agreed.

I just hope the right decision is made, with what we can work out financially, and it includes EK.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
He's definitely integral to the Sens success but I just hope it's not another Ryan contract.

That’s the dilemma.

At the same time, if we were to take a calculated risk between a player like Ryan and EK, there’s no doubt in my mind that EK is a much better gamble.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That’s the dilemma.

At the same time, if we were to take a calculated risk between a player like Ryan and EK, there’s no doubt in my mind that EK is a much better gamble.

I can’t even begin to comprehend how you’d compare Karlsson to Ryan on any way - effort, points, leadership, dedication to being healthy.

Karlsson signed maybe the best contract Ottawa has ever had, Ryan has the worst.

They are almost a different species of athlete.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Pierre Dorion also said in pre-season he was continuing to negotiate with Turris and felt he'd get a deal done. All the while he was shopping him. He said he wasn't shopping Phaneuf in the summer, he's gone.

Are you seriously this naive?

Not going to argue with you about what you say Dorion said in the pre-season, concerning the then unsigned Turris. It sounds like the logical thing to say in that situation.

Are you suggesting that he should have told the media that they're having a hard time to come to a deal and that he's actively trying to trade Turris?

How would that have affected his negotiating position?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Why don't you incorporate Kyle Turris and Julie Turris' comments into your timelines? Oh right, you're a disingenuous shill, and that wouldn't fit your gas lighting narrative.

The trade of Turris has little to do with how the rumours surrounding the possibility of EK65 being traded.

I've posted, and other have as well, what Turris thought after he was traded .......... he said he "thinks" the owner wanted him traded, and when Dorion was asked about that comment, he pointed out that he makes the hockey decisions, not the owner.......... so which Turris's wife responded with "lol".

Please tell me how that could have in any way initiated that rumours that EK65 might be playing elsewhere if he can't come to an agreement with Ottawa on an extension?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Every public indication from EK is that he would be happy to be here at market value.

So please explain why EK65 opened up the possibility that he's seek employment elsewhere if he could not come to an agreement with Ottawa concerting his next contract?

He could have said that he does not discuss contracts in the media, when they asked about Doughty's comments, but he chose to state that he's seek fair market value here, or somewhere else.

Why would he say that?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So please explain why EK65 opened up the possibility that he's seek employment elsewhere if he could not come to an agreement with Ottawa concerting his next contract?

He could have said that he does not discuss contracts in the media, when they asked about Doughty's comments, but he chose to state that he's seek fair market value here, or somewhere else.

Why would he say that?

Karlsson was telling the truth as it relates to Ottawa’s ownership.

Karlsson said it because he felt Melnyck cheaped out not ponying up for Methot in expansion and Turris traded days after the comment.

Why is Melnyck so thin skinned that he immediately put Karlsson onto the trade block?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's definitely integral to the Sens success but I just hope it's not another Ryan contract.

Ryan was 28 years old when his current contract kicked in on July 1st 2015.

Karlsson will be 29 years old when his new contract kicks in on July 1st 2019.

It was a gamble to sign Ryan for seven years, and it will be for Karlsson as well.

Just to be on the record, I want them to sign Karlsson, as he is the biggest draw for most fans, and he's part of the community in many ways.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Karlsson was telling the truth as it relates to Ottawa’s ownership.

Karlsson said it because he felt Melnyck cheaped out not ponying up for Methot in expansion and Turris traded days after the comment.

Why is Melnyck so thin skinned that he immediately put Karlsson onto the trade block?

How did Ottawa "not pony up" for Methot?

They signed him to four year, 4.9M contract, at age 30???

What were the comments Turris made that prompted Ottawa to trade him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad