News Article: Delete

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So please explain why PD would tell STHs that Ottawa is going to offer EK65 a contract on July 1st, if he is not?

Karlsson will get contract offer from Senators on July 1: report

Well for one if he says he wont it causes a media poop storm and also instantly plummets his trade value even more.

And technically he isn't lying if he tells STH hes going to make an offer on July 1st but he just happens to be traded days prior and we never find out if he really was going to make an offer and how good of an offer.

Hes protecting Melnyk here.Because no GM in their right mind doesn't offer Karlsson a contract. Only a cheap owner like Melnyk doesn't want to make an offer and that's out of Dorion hands no matter how much he wants to sign Karlsson.

Also we are going to hear "Too good of a deal pass up " speech from Dorion

Pretty simple really

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Hi guys Canucks fan here. Just out of curiosity, if the sens were not able to resign Erik Karlsson for whatever reason, and assuming Canucks don't win a top 3 pick.

Would a first round pick (5th-7th) overall + Kole Lind (95 P in 58 GP) do it for the rights of Erik Karlsson?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Hi guys Canucks fan here. Just out of curiosity, if the sens were not able to resign Erik Karlsson for whatever reason, and assuming Canucks don't win a top 3 pick.

Would a first round pick (5th-7th) overall + Kole Lind (95 P in 58 GP) do it for the rights of Erik Karlsson?
No, because it's not the rights to Karlsson. He is signed through to next season.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If he were, that would be a great package.

Don't think we would have the assets to get it done, as Petterson and Boeser are unmovable...unless maybe 1st Pick (5th-7th overall) + Kole Lind + Olli Juolevi??

Anyways wish you boys the best of luck in the upcoming draft lottery, after the crap this year in Ottawa you boys deserve a high pick.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Don't think we would have the assets to get it done, as Petterson and Boeser are unmovable...unless maybe 1st Pick (5th-7th overall) + Kole Lind + Olli Juolevi??

Anyways wish you boys the best of luck in the upcoming draft lottery, after the crap this year in Ottawa you boys deserve a high pick.

I'm not quite sure why Vancouver would want EK at this point. Surely he's not needed since the Canucks probably won't make the playoffs next year. Karlsson having one year left would put Vancouver in a precarious position; that package (while I don't think it's close) gives up 3 of the assets in the organization in exchange for a player that pushes them up the standings but probably not enough to mean anything other than a lower draft pick.

Vancouver should go after a Carlson this offseason, but it should be John Carlson to utilize that cap space on a short term deal (something EK wouldn't be signing).

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There's no chance of a new arena being built in 3 years. If it happens, the waste removal wont even be done by then.

Construction for Rogers Place started in March 2014, and the building officially opened on September 8, 2016.

That's two and a half years.

The Soil mitigation can be done as construction proceeds.

So once negotiations with the City are completed, probably sometime next year, the earliest I see an Arena opening on Lebreton Flats is sometime in 2022 at the earliest

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well for one if he says he wont it causes a media poop storm and also instantly plummets his trade value even more.

And technically he isn't lying if he tells STH hes going to make an offer on July 1st but he just happens to be traded days prior and we never find out if he really was going to make an offer and how good of an offer.

Hes protecting Melnyk here.Because no GM in their right mind doesn't offer Karlsson a contract. Only a cheap owner like Melnyk doesn't want to make an offer and that's out of Dorion hands no matter how much he wants to sign Karlsson.

Also we are going to hear "Too good of a deal pass up " speech from Dorion

Pretty simple really

Well I for one would see that as PD intentionally lying to STHs, because if he trades EK56 prior to July 1st, there is no way he comes back from that, and his "word" becomes meaningless.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Well I for one would see that as PD intentionally lying to STHs, because if he trades EK56 prior to July 1st, there is no way he comes back from that, and his "word" becomes meaningless.

Melnyk decides if Dorion comes back not the fans. If Dorion trades Karlsson it's because melnyk told him to do so .

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

If I am a STH and less than a year after the GM says a player was made by god on the 8th day, he is trying to trade him...I am taking everything he says with a ton of scepticism.

It's also a possibility that he agrees to a sign and trade with another team to maximise the deal value. If EK really does want out then he might be willing to play ball with PD and do a sign and trade so that he has some control over where he plays next year in exchange for an 8 yr extension.

Technically a sign and trade would include making him an offer, and I don't think PD ever said which teams offer we will be making:)

Reactions: Sensung

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Need to add a 2019 first

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Melnyk decides if Dorion comes back not the fans. If Dorion trades Karlsson it's because melnyk told him to do so .

Why would he want to trade EK65?

If your answer is "to save money", then how much money will he save, in relationship to the amount lost due to declining tickets sales attributed to EK65s departure?

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
This is my main concern.

At this point, it feels like Melnyk is holding the team hostage.

I'm not sure I can buy into the black and white idea that it's his business, and he is entitled to run it as he pleases. This isn't a Denny's franchise. It's an integral part of our city and our community, and a certain responsibility comes with that. There's a certain level of commitment required to running an NHL team properly.

This is where I have ended up as well because nothing else really fits the facts. Whether it's to sell or just get his financial footing back, it sure seems like we are going through a 3-5 year rebuild just because he doesn't want to sell the team or sell the team yet.

Reactions: Sensung

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If I am a STH and less than a year after the GM says a player was made by god on the 8th day, he is trying to trade him...I am taking everything he says with a ton of scepticism.

It's also a possibility that he agrees to a sign and trade with another team to maximise the deal value. If EK really does want out then he might be willing to play ball with PD and do a sign and trade so that he has some control over where he plays next year in exchange for an 8 yr extension.

Technically a sign and trade would include making him an offer, and I don't think PD ever said which teams offer we will be making:)

Again, Dorion has never stated that he is "trying to trade" EK65, he has said he is going to offer him a contract on July 1st, in his conference call to STHs.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

Yes. Any Karlsson trade that isn't made because Erik asked for a trade, is a Melnyk decision.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Nothing Dorion has said contradicts him moving Karlsson at the trade deadline.

He's already hit us with "Gretzky got traded" and "IF he's here, we will give him an offer". He made no definitive promise to not trade Karlsson before July 1st.

If he does trade him, he'll just fall back on "we got an offer we just couldn't refuse".

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He's already hit us with "Gretzky got traded" and "IF he's here, we will give him an offer". He made no definitive promise to not trade Karlsson before July 1st.

If he does trade him, he'll just fall back on "we got an offer we just couldn't refuse".
We felt at this time this is the right decision for the Ottawa Senators moving forward. Its my job to make the tough decisions.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I hope he busts out the "Gretzky got traded" line again if EK does get moved, because I'm sure a lot of people remember the primary catalyst in that deal was that Peter Pocklington was broke and in desperate need of money.

Reactions: Alfie11

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

It had actually be an offer of such quality that it is legitimately impossible to refuse, then.

My worry is we're going to use Karlsson's trade equity to offload Ryan's contract and settle with an unimpressive return as a result.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It had actually be an offer of such quality that it is legitimately impossible to refuse, then.

My worry is we're going to use Karlsson's trade equity to offload Ryan's contract and settle with an unimpressive return as a result.

I want to see Karlsson play every game of his career with the Sens.

IF they move him, I hope they tie Ryan to him and tank the value. That is the spark that leads to no more Melnyk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad