News Article: Delete

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
No probably not,but say we did and we could land a player like Drai,and another top 10 pick back in return???I can see something like that helping our team more, than adding another PMD to a team that already has the best one in EK ,with another really good one in Chabot

We can't afford Draisaitl @ 8.5, Karlsson @ 12.5, Duchene and Stone probably at 8M, and then Ryan at 7.5M, along with the possibility of still paying Gaborik.

Any trade made at the draft has to be made with the idea of fixing our salary structure so that we can be competitive eventually under the restraints Melnyk imposes on the team. There's no easy fix. If we get Dahlin, we'll probably use Karlsson to potentially dump Ryan and also bring in other pieces that will be used to build a team around Dahlin.

In a perfect world, we'd keep Karlsson, Dahlin, and then have the best top 4 in the league for a decade....but we don't live in a perfect world.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What's the minimum that Dorion can offer Karlsson , that Karlsson would reject but saves face for Dorion

10.5 million 8 year. Heavy Bonuses , NMC?
If we offered that, and he doesn't accept, I can live with that. I think that's a reasonable offer even though he can probably get another mil or 2 per year from another team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Keep Karlsson, Duchene, Stone ... fill in around them.
Trade Ceci and/ or Hoffman if need be $ wise to do it and try to recoup some picks
Dump Smith
Get rid of Burrows and Gaborik some way some how.
Keep Ryan if necessary
Do not give up picks or prospects with any kind of promise

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dahlin will also cost 7.5M-10M+ in 3 seasons. Chabot, Brown, and White will have finished their ELCs by then. So that makes it even more impossible to swing under Melnyk's budget.

Sure (though that seems awfully high to me for a second contract), but Gaborik, Phaneuf's retention, and MacArthur's uninsured portion of salary will all be off the books, so there's roughly 6 mil in budget space from completely sunk costs. Burrows will be gonzo.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sure (though that seems awfully high to me for a second contract), but Gaborik, Phaneuf's retention, and MacArthur's uninsured portion of salary will all be off the books, so there's roughly 6 mil in budget space from completely sunk costs. Burrows will be gonzo.

Ekblad got 7.5 x 8 years with heavy signing bonuses. Dahlin is said to be better than Ekblad.

Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo, etc all in the 6-7 million range on contracts signed 5+ years ago under much smaller caps.

It's okay if you disagree, I don't have an issue with that, but I figured I'd just explain why I think he'll be looking at 7.5M+.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Keep Karlsson, Duchene, Stone ... fill in around them.
Trade Ceci and/ or Hoffman if need be $ wise to do it and try to recoup some picks
Dump Smith
Get rid of Burrows and Gaborik some way some how.
Keep Ryan if necessary
Do not give up picks or prospects with any kind of promise
I like it. Sign your 3 best players and fill in around them. If guys like Ceci end up not fitting, so be it.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Would you guys do these trades?

Trade 1:
Brandon Sutter + 3rd-5th rounder
for
B. Ryan + Pitt 1st

Trade 2:
Z Smith
for
mid-late 2nd rounder

Trade 3:
J.G Pageau
for
late 1st rounder +mid-prospect/cheap bottom 6er

We would save between 6.5-9.5mil per year for each of the next 4 years, and we would add a few picks.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Trade 1:
for
B. Ryan + Pitt 1st

Trade 2:
Z Smith
for
mid-late 2nd rounder

Trade 3:
J.G Pageau
for

We would save between 6.5-9.5mil per year for each of the next 4 years, and we would add a few picks.
I like the top 2. I'd keep Pageau unless we are going full rebuild

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Trade 1:
for
B. Ryan + Pitt 1st

Trade 2:
Z Smith
for
mid-late 2nd rounder

Trade 3:
J.G Pageau
for

I would do all three without any hesitation.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What's the minimum that Dorion can offer Karlsson , that Karlsson would reject but saves face for Dorion

10.5 million 8 year. Heavy Bonuses , NMC?

Other points to consider ....... what is "fair market value" for EK65?

Would not most negotiations begin with the Team offering their lowest number, knowing that EK65 & Agent their highest number ......... and then the two sides work towards an acceptable number to both?

What do the Senators opening offer begin at?
What is EK65s opening ask?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Other points to consider ....... what is "fair market value" for EK65?

Would not most negotiations begin with the Team offering their lowest number, knowing that EK65 & Agent their highest number ......... and then the two sides work towards an acceptable number to both?

What do the Senators opening offer begin at?
What is EK65s opening ask?
We won't hear those details

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ekblad got 7.5 x 8 years with heavy signing bonuses. Dahlin is said to be better than Ekblad.

Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo, etc all in the 6-7 million range on contracts signed 5+ years ago under much smaller caps.

It's okay if you disagree, I don't have an issue with that, but I figured I'd just explain why I think he'll be looking at 7.5M+.

I thought the Ekblad extension was nuts at the time but I digress, Dahlin has been called the best D prospect since Hedman, who signed a bridge at something like 4 or 5. Karlsson literally had a Norris winning season prior to signing his deal (though he'd yet to be announced as the winner). I'm not saying a big deal in the ~7.5 mil range is out of the question if everything goes right for him, but 10 mil is straight up bonkers imo. You're basically setting his baseline as top 10 Dman in the league by the time he turns 21 years (that's pretty much what all your comparables accomplished) old and he can only be better than that, no room for a slower progression like Hedman had. I guess it all depends on inflation, if the cap is 100 mil by then, 10% of the cap is reasonable if he has a norris finalist season (that's what Karlsson did to get a 10% of the cap deal, Pietrangelo finished 4th the year prior to signing his deal), but if the cap ends up at 100 mil, the floor is likely around 80 mil, so Melnyk's budget will be forced upward.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Trade 1:
for
B. Ryan + Pitt 1st

Trade 2:
Z Smith
for
mid-late 2nd rounder

Trade 3:
J.G Pageau
for

I'd trade Smith for a ham sandwhich

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if that's the case with the highest end players. I imagine that with such players, it's not difficult to agree on the value of the player, and it's more about convincing the player to make a small sacrifice so the team can make a commitment to winning with the extra cap space. In the Sens case, we would be inclined to just pocket the savings and Karlsson knows that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

And Ryan will only have 1 year left and the new arena should be built, improving the team's finances.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Trade 1:
for
B. Ryan + Pitt 1st

Trade 2:
Z Smith
for
mid-late 2nd rounder

Trade 3:
J.G Pageau
for

Trade 1 : No. You sacrifice a 1st rounder to save 3.0 per year for a worse player. I dunno. Canucks will have plenty of cap space for a while and should be all over that. Improving your offense while improving your draft position by a fair margin. I'd rather retain 2.25 on Ryan to bring his cap hit at 5.0 and get whatever is possible. But not sacrificing a high pick

Trade 2 : yes, even for a 3rd. Getting Smith contract off the books will make things easier. We have plenty of forward prospects that should be at least able to fill his role (3rd LW), i.e. White, Chlapik, Batherson, Formenton, etc.

Trade 3: No. Pageau only makes 3.1, he is a fan favorite and can come up big in big games. I'm keeping him a few more seasons, maybe until the end of his contract. Maybe more if he doesn't need a raise.

There's no chance of a new arena being built in 3 years. If it happens, the waste removal wont even be done by then.

So how long then? Because the future of a team in Ottawa could be at risk by then. Unless Melnyk sells to Power Corp who should be able to accept losing money for the first few years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There's no chance of a new arena being built in 3 years. If it happens, the waste removal wont even be done by then.
NCC said the goal was for construction to begin in 12-24 months. Not sure if by construction, they meant cleanup, or actual construction. Rogers Place was built in 2.5 years, so best case scenario is probably 3.5 or so years, but more likely 4 to 5 years for the new arena.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'd trade Smith for a ham sandwhich

Sure, but why trade him for a ham sandwich when there are teams who would surrender an entire roast ham? I think there are teams who would absolutely take him off our hands and not only that, but they would pay us to do so.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sure, but why trade him for a ham sandwich when there are teams who would surrender an entire roast ham? I think there are teams who would absolutely take him off our hands and not only that, but they would pay us to do so.
We didn't trade him this deadline because apparently teams wouldn't pay what we wanted. We had teams wanting to take him, we never wanted to part ways.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
We didn't trade him this deadline because apparently teams wouldn't pay what we wanted. We had teams wanting to take him, we never wanted to part ways.

I hadn't read anything like that but it was sort of my assumption - if there was good value available for him, we would let him go but there was no rush to move him. Especially given how thin our roster is/was. A 2nd is probably on the high-end but I don't think we will still get a somewhat solid return if/when we trade him.

I also don't think there is any chance that we trade both Pageau and Smith this summer unless we bring in an external piece to replace one of them. It will be one or none of them, imo. Same with Ryan/Hoffman.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Could be we thought we could get more at the draft when more teams are buyers. We need bodies to finish the season, there was no rush to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad