News Article: Delete

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'm totally fine with finally dumping Ceci and re-signing Karlsson.
Opens up a spot for a better D and keeps our franchise player, just get it done.

Ceci has been second to Karlsson in TOI for (about) the past three seasons, and is one of those high in demand rare, right shot D men, that teams don't "dump".

There is a reason PD protected Ceci in the expansion draft, at the cost of Methot.

Ceci is going to be re-signed this summer.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I would be willing to give up low firsts (not a top 10), 2nds and 3rds as needed to dump some of the fat if it meant that we resigned Karlsson allowing for either: 1) Team turns itself around with EK, or 2) EK turns his game around a bit and the team trades him at next years trade deadline for full value (signed for 8 more years). Whatever the difference between the value lost from the dump trades and the additional value gained from trading EK at peak is worth it in my eyes to see if some of the other chips (Gaborik retire, win lottery, EK deal specifics, etc) fall the senators way before making the EK decision.

However, I still strongly disagree with the premise.

First, I meant that for the next year Karlsson still has a 10 team NMC because a full NMC would only kick in when the new contract kicks in. Further, while I know Karlsson would ask for a full NMC, even star players sometimes give into trade windows or the full NMC is delayed a few years...point being that you do not know for sure what he is willing to give on until the deal is signed.

Secondly, I find the full NMC really only come into play when you have an overpriced player on a good team. Usually if the team really sucks then likely both sides will be open to a trade regardless of the NMC.

Next, there are many other ways to clear cap that are better decisions that dealing Ryan and our 2018 first for example. Trade Pageau (has value) with Burrows (has no value). Trade Smith with a B rating prospect, etc. Sure this leaves holes in the line-up but it's easier to replace 3rd and 4th liners than to get another Karlsson.

Finally, I still think all of the above is mute because you didn't respond to my premise: that trading EK is a close to a zero sum equation because revenues/internal cap could fall by as much as the money you save.

So here is your counter-question to answer.

A) Internal Cap = 65 mil. Resign Karlsson 11k & trade Ceci. Cap after EK & Ceci = 54 mil.
B) Internal Cap = 60 mil. Trade EK, resign Ceci 4 mil. Cap after EK & Ceci = 56 mil

Do you really prefer A?

"First, I meant that for the next year Karlsson still has a 10 team NMC because a full NMC would only kick in when the new contract kicks in. Further, while I know Karlsson would ask for a full NMC, even star players sometimes give into trade windows or the full NMC is delayed a few years...point being that you do not know for sure what he is willing to give on until the deal is signed."

Ultimately, your original post had you disputing the idea that we're married to Erik Karlsson if we re-sign him.

Of course I don't know for sure. I am not Erik Karlsson, I don't know for sure what he'll ask for, but I can look at what similar players get, along with Dorion's previous admission that Erik Karlsson might be the exception to the team's standard 10 team NTC and come to the conclusion that Erik Karlsson will almost certainly require a full NMC.

If he gets a NMC in an extension, we're not going to be able to turn around and deal him before it kicks in. The reason players typically get them where they don't kick in for a few years is because RFA years cannot have trade protection. (See Subban). Karlsson's extension will be all UFA years. Second, there's a good chance that if he gets a NMC, his current 10 team NTC will be retroactively upgraded to a NMC ala Carey Price.

"Next, there are many other ways to clear cap that are better decisions that dealing Ryan and our 2018 first for example. Trade Pageau (has value) with Burrows (has no value). Trade Smith with a B rating prospect, etc. Sure this leaves holes in the line-up but it's easier to replace 3rd and 4th liners than to get another Karlsson."

That does not clear enough long term. Karlsson+Duchene+Stone+Dead salary likely leaves very little in terms of wiggle room with our current internal budget. Sure, our internal budget could rise, but when Melnyk is quoted threatening to cut the player salary budget rather than increasing it, I don't think expecting it to rise so that we can accommodate all of our star players needing raises and staying competitive is a reasonable expectation.

Finally, I still think all of the above is mute because you didn't respond to my premise: that trading EK is a close to a zero sum equation because revenues/internal cap could fall by as much as the money you save.

What happens to revenues if we sign Erik Karlsson and we're a perpetual basement team because of our inability to ice a competitive roster with Karlsson+Duchene+Stone+10M on average of dead salary taking up over half of our internal salary cap?

Both of us can speculate that way. I do not think we can build a winning team with Karlsson making market value, the dead salary we have on the books for the next four seasons after this one, and an internal player salary budget. Whatever loss in revenue you think will happen if we trade Karlsson, it would be worse long term if we are a perpetual losing team because we're built on an unwinnable foundation.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I do not think we can build a winning team with Karlsson making market value, the dead salary we have on the books for the next four seasons after this one, and an internal player salary budget.

Lose-Lose-Lose whichever way you play it.

If you trade Karlsson with enough of the dead weight to make a difference (ryan + Gaborik) then you don't get anything of real value back to help with rebuild/retool. Essentially you cleared some cap space but you are waiting 3-4 years for the kids to improve around a core of Stone/Duchene/Ceci/Chabot.

Or you trade some of the picks and prospects to clear the same cap room and build around Stone/Duchene/Ceci/Chabot/Karlsson...but with a lot less youth to fill in around the core, however you have the potential (maybe small) of competing in the short-term and you still have Karlsson.

Or you trade Karlsson without the dead weight and reap a lot of picks prospects, but you are still waiting 3-4 years for the dead salary to clear so you can't bring in any free agents and likely will not be competitive until the youth has matured into their primes.

What am I missing? Would love to see a plausible roster over the next 3-4 years than you think would be more competitive than what it would be with Karlsson and minus some picks and prospects. Also, why Karlsson? Why not trade Stone or Duchene to get rid of the dead salary? Wouldn't it make sense to keep the asset that is hardest to replace?

My philosophy will always be 1) you need elite talent to win as see by recent cup winners, 2) if you can't build a round a 10 mil star player in his prime then your internal budget is too small to compete at all, and 3) it is better to trade away the picks and prospects than the star player because you can replenish the picks/prospects easier than the star player.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I do not think we can build a winning team with Karlsson making market value, the dead salary we have on the books for the next four seasons after this one, and an internal player salary budget.

Lose-Lose-Lose whichever way you play it.

If you trade Karlsson with enough of the dead weight to make a difference (ryan + Gaborik) then you don't get anything of real value back to help with rebuild/retool. Essentially you cleared some cap space but you are waiting 3-4 years for the kids to improve around a core of Stone/Duchene/Ceci/Chabot.

Or you trade some of the picks and prospects to clear the same cap room and build around Stone/Duchene/Ceci/Chabot/Karlsson...but with a lot less youth to fill in around the core, however you have the potential (maybe small) of competing in the short-term and you still have Karlsson.

Or you trade Karlsson without the dead weight and reap a lot of picks prospects, but you are still waiting 3-4 years for the dead salary to clear so you can't bring in any free agents and likely will not be competitive until the youth has matured into their primes.

What am I missing? Would love to see a plausible roster over the next 3-4 years than you think would be more competitive than what it would be with Karlsson and minus some picks and prospects. Also, why Karlsson? Why not trade Stone or Duchene to get rid of the dead salary? Wouldn't it make sense to keep the asset that is hardest to replace?

My philosophy will always be 1) you need elite talent to win as see by recent cup winners, 2) if you can't build a round a 10 mil star player in his prime then your internal budget is too small to compete at all, and 3) it is better to trade away the picks and prospects than the star player because you can replenish the picks/prospects easier than the star player.

Look at the amount of holes we have right now on our team. Regardless of whether we keep Karlsson and lose Stone and/or Duchene, or keep all three, with the dead money we have and the amount of core+secondary players who have played out their cheap RFA contracts and are entering UFA years at the same time, we'd be building a team on a poor foundation. With our current budget and ownership, there'd be almost zero chance of success.

Trading Duchene and/or Stone doesn't solve things at all because neither of them are valuable enough to return us assets to rebuild with and allow us to dump a major contract like Ryan's. Karlsson is the only piece valuable enough for that. At the deadline, Vegas' top prospect, two 1sts, and a conditional pick was rumoured to be the back bones of an offer for Ryan+Karlsson. If true, I'm not sure how you'd get the perception back that we'll get nothing of real value for Karlsson if we attach Ryan to him.

I cannot game plan our roster over the next 4 years without Karlsson because that is way too open ended, way too much changes in 4 years time in terms of who we draft, how they develop. What I can game plan for you, is what our payroll looks like if we sign Karlsson at market value (he has claimed he wants what he is worth, won't take a discount), and then have to potentially build a team with Stone+Duchene on big UFA contracts, along with the dead salary we currently have....I've done it in multiple posts already.

Trading Karlsson+Ryan for a big package of picks/young players/prospects gives us the OPPORTUNITY to build a good team. It doesn't mean it'll work. From that point, it's up to management to draft+develop and work efficiently within our salary structure. The point is, if we keep Karl+Ryan, I don't think we have any opportunity to build a good team for the reasons I have outlined in probably a dozen+ different posts by now.

It is a bad situation, because I agree in the fundamental idea that it shouldn't make sense to trade away a player like Karlsson, but our current situation is the exception to the rule.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ryan needs to have a healthy and productive year,or if he cant because of his hand ..Then put him on LTIR ,AND LEAVE HIM THERE

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Trading Karlsson+Ryan for a big package of picks/young players/prospects gives us the OPPORTUNITY to build a good team.

Okay, can we agree that your idea of a good team is a mix of cheap talent youth and a few good-great players in their prime (post RFA period, mid-late 20s) , but not elite-superstars in their prime because that means 10 mil salaries that we can't afford.

IMO this means you have to have a lot of youth take the next step at the right time and hope that your superstar youth has a 2-3 year window where they hit their prime and are still cheap.

I agree that this is the ideal bare-bones of a budget team but in my opinion I don't think the strategy above has much of a chance to win given the small window.

I like our chances much better with the games best offensive defenseman playing half the game as an x-factor.

I also believe that you need a goalie on a hot streak.

Basically, I think you are asking for the team to go through a 3-4 year rebuild in hopes that they get back to exactly where they are now minus Ryan and Gaboriks contract and a replacement for Anderson.

Given the prospects/picks that can be dealt that are not named Chabot, White, 2018 1st, Brown...I would be doing everything in my power to use those assets to trade away Ryan and Gaborik because while it might be hard to do...it has more of a chance than finding another Karlsson over the next 3-4 years.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Draft lottery is going to be setting off the dominoes of whatever is to come.

See im in the camp that yhe lottery and which player we select has no bearing on what we do with Karlsson.

I still firmly believe that we will never get to the point of making an offer to Karlsson and he will be dealt prior to July 1st.

That way in essence it also protects Melnyk because if we do get to July 1st, either we make an offer which in my estimation is going to be on the low side or we dont offer one at all and hes dealt anyways. Melnyk looks bad in bith scenarios.

So that's why i reason hes dealt before July 1st.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What's the minimum that Dorion can offer Karlsson , that Karlsson would reject but saves face for Dorion

10.5 million 8 year. Heavy Bonuses , NMC?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I sort of think that if the team gets the no. 1 pick, that that will help keep Karlsson here rather than open the door for his exit. That duo plus Chabot, Ceci, +++ is filthy. Offer Karlsson a 10-10.5M x 8 year deal with heavy bonuses for winning the ECF and SC.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I sort of think that if the team gets the no. 1 pick, that that will help keep Karlsson here rather than open the door for his exit. That duo plus Chabot, Ceci, +++ is filthy. Offer Karlsson a 10-10.5M x 8 year deal with heavy bonuses for winning the ECF and SC.

I think it's the opposite.

Dahlin will give the fan base hope that will be capitalized on to sell a Karlsson trade.

Dahlin will also cost 7.5M-10M+ in 3 seasons. Chabot, Brown, and White will have finished their ELCs by then. So that makes it even more impossible to swing under Melnyk's budget.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think it's the opposite.

Dahlin will give the fan base hope that will be capitalized on to sell a Karlsson trade.

Dahlin will also cost 7.5M-10M+ in 3 seasons. Chabot, Brown, and White will have finished their ELCs by then. So that makes it even more impossible to swing under Melnyk's budget.
Yep ,we win Dahlin we either move him and resign EK ...Or vice versa,the latter would be preferable....Resign EK ,and move Dalhin for a boatload...

Having a great young LHD in Chabot along side EK for the 8 seasons,means we will have a great PMD on both the 1st and 2nd pair...Getting a great shutdown LHD defender,would be ideal to have play beside EK on the top pair ...Also another high end forward

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Yep ,we win Dahlin we either move him and resign EK ...Or vice versa,the latter would be preferable....Resign EK ,and move Dalhin for a boatload...

Having a great young LHD in Chabot along side EK for the 8 seasons,means we will have a great PMD on both the 1st and 2nd pair...Getting a great shutdown LHD defender,would be ideal to have play beside EK on the top pair ...Also another high end forward

I don't think there's any way this team keeps EK and moves Dahlin if they win the lottery.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't think there's any way this team keeps EK and moves Dahlin if they win the lottery.
No probably not,but say we did and we could land a player like Drai,and another top 10 pick back in return???I can see something like that helping our team more, than adding another PMD to a team that already has the best one in EK ,with another really good one in Chabot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad