LeBrun: DeBrincat will most likely be traded, agent has submitted list of preferred destinations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Like, if Yzerman doesn’t really like Debrincat and isn’t willing to commit 8 years to him, and Debrincat isn’t willing to sign elsewhere… then he will be shopped as a rental. And if Yzeeman doesn’t really like Cat, it follows that other teams will likely value him higher than DRW. It can’t exactly go both ways.
Yes, agreed. But the reason this is any issue whatsoever is that teams that value him higher than the Red Wings do are not teams he wants to sign with. So far, anyway.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
My counter-point here would be... what sort of obligation is there for Yzerman to bail out Dorion? If DeBrincat is not Yzerman's preferred top line winger, why is he honor bound to pay anything close to full market value? DeBrincat wanting to play for Detroit doesn't mean Yzerman has to pay whatever Dorion wants.

And I fully agree with that. Detroit doesn't need to bail out Ottawa and you can argue that, from a division rival standpoint, it might be better to let Ottawa keep DeBrincat for the season because it limits their flexibility. T

Is DeBrincat really Detroit's guy? Maybe? Yzerman would be a bad GM to not explore this option. I'd like him on Detroit but I prefer an option like Keller or a cheaper Konecny if the price were the same.

Reactions: norrisnick

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They don't have enough Cap space for the award. But then it opens up a buyout window and they should just buy out Mathieu Joseph. It will still be tight depending on what DeBrincat and Pinto end up signing for. But it's not impossible to solve the problem.
Thanks, I know reading that again seems smarmy but was genuinely curious of the ramifications

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Stevie Y is just cementing himself as a bad faith negotiator. Fine to see yourself as the 'smartest guy in the room' but that shit gets tiring real fast with the people you do eventually need to work with to get things done. NHL GMs will be tuning him out pretty quick if he can't learn to work past his 'my way or no way' approach.

Hope for Wings fans' sake the drafting gets better because signing 20mil worth of bottom 6ers will only take you so far from year to year.
Lol! Yzerman didn't put ottawa In this situation. Dorian made his bed now he has to sleep in it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Honestly, if SY can not make this work he may need to be replaced as our GM.

Its been 15 years since the last "good to high end" AND young player chose to sign or asked to be traded to Detroit.

If you cant make this work it sends a signal to every other player in the league that could easily take years to undue.

I have faith in SY but the ball is 100% in his court... so dont mess this up

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
One is a Centre
Newhook is not playing C (in the NHL) anytime soon.. That ship has likely sailed. If he were, he wouldn’t have been traded for futures already. Any flashes he’s shown to be a Top 6 player, has come on the wing.

I’m a big supporter of his, as I’ve been watching him for a long time, but the writings on the wall. He’s nowhere near the player Berggren is right now. Doesn’t mean he won’t take this opportunity and run with it.

A trade was the best thing for him. The worst thing for him now? Would be Montreal trying to force him to play C. Let him play wing and settle into what type of winger he’s going to be. I still think he has a chance to be a second line winger, but time will tell.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, if SY can not make this work he may need to be replaced as our GM.

Its been 15 years since the last "good to high end" AND young player chose to sign or asked to be traded to Detroit.

If you cant make this work it sends a signal to every other player in the league that could easily take years to undue.

I have faith in SY but the ball is 100% in his court... so dont mess this up
Honestly not a fan of this take. Debrincat is not McDavid. He's a polarizing player that is likely valued very differently by different GMs across the league. Maybe Yzerman isn't super high on him and his style of game. Maybe he's realized through negotiations that Debrincat is determined to end up in Detroit either via trade now or as a UFA next season, in which case why overpay now? Lots of reasonable explanations for why this deal might not get done.

Reactions: thefutures

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Stevie Y is just cementing himself as a bad faith negotiator. Fine to see yourself as the 'smartest guy in the room' but that shit gets tiring real fast with the people you do eventually need to work with to get things done. NHL GMs will be tuning him out pretty quick if he can't learn to work past his 'my way or no way' approach.

Hope for Wings fans' sake the drafting gets better because signing 20mil worth of bottom 6ers will only take you so far from year to year.
Is Stevie Y a bad faith negotiator or is an RFA who isn't worth his qualifying offer and is only willing to sign long-term in a handful of locations just not as valuable of an asset as PD and Sens fans want it to be?

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
GMSY missed out on one of this desired prizes at this draft. Now, he's left to wonder if he can retrench and build out a style that cuts against the grain. Always good to explore assets devalued by others. Then, if Cat is still out there next year or maybe in two or even three, he can play the wheel of fortune then.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
At the same time if Yzerman doesn't feel there is a deal to be made then come out and say it.
Yzerman and his front office don’t say anything ever. For good or for bad. They are absurdly secretive. It’s why whenever anyone says anything like “Detroit insiders say…” “Yzerman said he is…” or whatever, it’s never to be believed.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Yzerman and his front office don’t say anything ever. For good or for bad. They are absurdly secretive. It’s why whenever anyone says anything like “Detroit insiders say…” “Yzerman said he is…” or whatever, it’s never to be believed.
Ironically, the same is said about Lou which makes it weird that they are two teams linked to em

Reactions: TKB

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Is Stevie Y a bad faith negotiator or is an RFA who isn't worth his qualifying offer and is only willing to sign long-term in a handful of locations just not as valuable of an asset as PD and Sens fans want it to be?
This isn't the first nor the last time he'll be walking away from an opportunity to improve his team strictly due to his inflated ego. Maybe when Debrincat is traded to and signs long term in Long Island Stevie can sit back and pat himself on the shoulder knowing he did the Red Wings franchise right by refusing to negotiate a hockey deal. He was gracious enough to table an offer after all - it's no fault off his Dorion was stupid enough to expect some level of communication from the great Steve Yzerman.

This is Stevie's world, we're all just living in it.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
This isn't the first nor the last time he'll be walking away from an opportunity to improve his team strictly due to his inflated ego. Maybe when Debrincat is traded to and signs long term in Long Island Stevie can sit back and pat himself on the shoulder knowing he did the Red Wings franchise right by refusing to negotiate a hockey deal. He was gracious enough to table an offer after all - it's no fault off his Dorion was stupid enough to expect some level of communication from the great Steve Yzerman.

This is Stevie's world, we're all just living in it.
Unless you've wiretapped their phones and are listening in on the conversation I don't know how you can be this confident in your conclusion.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Pens stacking up forwards, maybe Dubas makes a move for Cat?

Can't really get much more better support for a small(er) sniper than Crosby, people have been saying he was a product of Kane and stuff, maybe he will become a "product of Crosby" and score 50?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Ironically, the same is said about Lou which makes it weird that they are two teams linked to em

Lou is also an international man of mystery, however my understanding is (and please Sens fans, correct me if I’m wrong) that Dorian often uses the media to float information, apply leverage, send messages etc so whatever is popping up at this point, I’m assuming it’s Dorian working the reporters or DBC agent also doing the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad