LeBrun: DeBrincat will most likely be traded, agent has submitted list of preferred destinations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I would trade Iafallo, Moore, and Fagemo for DeBrincat if Kings had money to sign Gavrikov and Vilardi.

Because LA currently do not have money to sign their own free agents, I believe they will trade Iafallo/Arvidsson and Moore for draft pics only.
That’s not enough. Iafallo and Moore is a lot of “meh” for the salary commitment and I say that liking what both players bring. Fagemo is a nice prospect.

This is very little bang for the buck for Ottawa.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
That’s not enough. Iafallo and Moore is a lot of “meh” for the salary commitment and I say that liking what both players bring. Fagemo is a nice prospect.

This is very little bang for the buck for Ottawa.
Again, LA currently do not have money to sign their own free agents they also have no need or salary cap space for DeBrincat.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Again, LA currently do not have money to sign their own free agents they also have no need or salary cap space for DeBrincat.
Not disagreeing. The fit isn’t there. Not sure why the Kings would want to spend $9 million AAV long-term on another flashy scoring winger anyways.

Just as a neutral saying Kempe or Vilardi and Roy are absurd requests but a bunch of “stuff” also isn’t appealing to Ottawa.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Not disagreeing. The fit isn’t there. Not sure why the Kings would want to spend $9 million AAV long-term on another flashy scoring winger anyways.

Just as a neutral saying Kempe or Vilardi and Roy are absurd requests but a bunch of “stuff” also isn’t appealing to Ottawa.
The bunch of “stuff” was suggested by another Ottava fan.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Colombus can afford his new contract
Trade and sign
Trade Debrincat for LAK 1st round pick and Kent Johnson
fair enough for both ?

I know you got ripped for this but Kent Johnson is going to wind up being a stud. I wouldn't want to include him in a trade, especially for a forward that's going to get serious coin for long-term. If Columbus was close to being a playoff team I'd up the ante but now? Nah.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
The Sens f***ing suck at getting good returns for top end guys, they only got lucky with the Karlsson trade.

I am 95% sure I will hate whatever we get for Debrincat.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
The Sens f***ing suck at getting good returns for top end guys, they only got lucky with the Karlsson trade.

I am 95% sure I will hate whatever we get for Debrincat.
Ottawa shouldn’t expect to return what they paid to get Alex DeBrincat.

I’d say a mid 1st, a late 2nd and a 4th in the 2025 draft should be the going rate for a slightly used, not as productive from the previous season Alex DeBrincat.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Not to mention there was very little risk for Ottawa.

If he liked it there and wanted to sign for a reasonable number, was a steal of a trade.

If Ottawa isn't comfortable with the number he wants to stay, they can very likely recoup nearly the same value they traded for him all the while they got a season with him to make a run at the playoffs.

Very little ways for Ottawa to walk away from this venture as losers.
They won’t come close to the same value.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
How does a 2023 mid 1st compare to 7th overall from last year? Is this draft that deep?
Yea the 2023 draft has been projected to be very deep by pretty much all the experts, I’d expect a few teams may even go off the board just to get the player they want.

The Senators should still be able to draft a decent prospect if they are doing their diligence towards drafting a good prospect, unless Ottawa is looking for a roster player in return for DeBrincat in a player for player swap which is possible but not the most likely outcome.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
How about this crazy idea, which won't happen, and people won't like...

A 3-way deal where DeBrincat goes to Team A (Carolina, Detroit, ?), picks / prospects to Winnipeg, and Hellebuyck to Ottawa. It probably makes Ottawa a playoff lock, chance at a run, and they gamble that Hellebuyck likes the team and signs and extension.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Ottawa shouldn’t expect to return what they paid to get Alex DeBrincat.

I’d say a mid 1st, a late 2nd and a 4th in the 2025 draft should be the going rate for a slightly used, not as productive from the previous season Alex DeBrincat.
And the Cat puts up 80 points for the team he ends up on.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What does Debricant have over Bratt that is worth a 1st?

What does Debrincat have over Bratt, period even? Bratt had a disappointing first go at the playoffs...but i'd still take him over Debrincat. Especially since they're both potential challenges to get signed to a reasonably team-friendly deal anyway. Debrincat might be a better pure goal-scorer, but Bratt is better at everything else and more dynamic overall (during the regular season at least). Who is to say he won't have learned from these playoffs and come back more effective next time around?

The challenge in a Debrincat trade is the same as Chicago faced last summer. If the player is on a market level contract long-term (9M AAV) - its hard to justify giving up a plethora of significant assets for him (or any other player at that cap hit) - because it means you have to move other pieces off your roster to make the money fit.

Hes a year from UFA, so he will have the leverage to choose where he wants to go in trade (or they trade him without an extension worked out, in which case they will get less than they traded FOR him last season coming off a better season and under team control for two years).

Yeah. I think it's also the thing that kind of hurt the trade value for Meier. That massive QO and the potential to take himself quickly to UFA if you can't land an extension he's happy with.

The lack of that really clear, high-end "centerpiece" and a more "quantity-based" package for Meier i think reflected that similar situation and massive QO. Though even then, Meier with his size is a more desirable player than Debrincat...it's the same problem that hurts the value many teams are willing to cough up on a looming contract situation/potentially walking as a UFA shortly thereafter. Teams don't want to give up a potentially really good young player who could be making a significant impact right as the guy they trade for could be walking away, or have a massive albatross contract kicking in.

Add in the complication of DeBrincat having a really disappointing season with another team and questions arise on that front as well.

Whatever they get back, my hope is they can package it along with Pinto to land Keller, and then just sign a 3C to replace Pinto. Otherwise I'd want a player in return and not futures.

FTR:
Some ARZ fans seemd to like the idea of Pinto, a 1st, and Kleven for Keller.

I don't see what Arizona would get out of moving Keller for Debrincat. Keller is a much better all-around player. Debrincat is probably going to be more expensive, if you can even get him locked up long-term in Arizona. Where he could even just walk away after a year. Compared to Keller being under contract for a bunch more years. Backloaded deal that isn't really Arizona's style, sure...but even the heaviest of those backloaded cash salary years are probably not too far outside the vicinity of what DeBrincat could end up asking for.

I just don't really see Arizona being in the best financial position or competitive place to make them a prime DeBrincat destination.

A team like Nashville would make a lot more sense to me. I'd say Carolina, but i figure they're probably looking to get bigger in the Top-6, not even smaller. Same potentially for the Devils. I could see Detroit being interested but i'm not sure they have the right "roster player" to include, it'd have to be more futures-oriented. Flames could try to work something out if they want to reconfigure some things, but cap-wise it'd be tricky to work in an extension. Kinda wonder if a team like Washington might not join the fray as part of a retool late in Ovechkin's career...though he's not necessarily exactly the sort of player they probably need.

I could see a number of teams kicking tires on Debrincat. I'm just not convinced many are going to be willing to offer the right valuable "centerpiece" or the right roster backfill player to help the Sens recoup a lot of the value they ultimately gave up. Not with that contract situation/demands/UFA potential looming.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe a deal with Islanders, who have some veteran players on 2-3 year deals where Ottawa can still fill for Debrincat's icetime and maybe pick up an additional asset (depending on the quality/expected contribution of the returning player)

Brock Nelson, JG Pageau, Josh Bailey, Kyle Palmieri, Anders Lee all seem like players who fit the above description and which the Islanders may be looking to move in a bit of a roster refresh.
I don't think Ottawa would want any of those players as the centerpiece for 25 year old Debrincat.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I porposed this on the CAR board. Wonder what others think?

30th overall
Conditional 2024 1st - if DeBrincat Re-Signs
Conditional 2024 2nd - If he Re-signs and CAR wins the cup

Ottawa could then flip that return and get a DeBrincat replacement, or pehaps even a goalie.
What does Debrincat have over Bratt, period even? Bratt had a disappointing first go at the playoffs...but i'd still take him over Debrincat. Especially since they're both potential challenges to get signed to a reasonably team-friendly deal anyway. Debrincat might be a better pure goal-scorer, but Bratt is better at everything else and more dynamic overall (during the regular season at least). Who is to say he won't have learned from these playoffs and come back more effective next time around?

Yeah. I think it's also the thing that kind of hurt the trade value for Meier. That massive QO and the potential to take himself quickly to UFA if you can't land an extension he's happy with.

The lack of that really clear, high-end "centerpiece" and a more "quantity-based" package for Meier i think reflected that similar situation and massive QO. Though even then, Meier with his size is a more desirable player than Debrincat...it's the same problem that hurts the value many teams are willing to cough up on a looming contract situation/potentially walking as a UFA shortly thereafter. Teams don't want to give up a potentially really good young player who could be making a significant impact right as the guy they trade for could be walking away, or have a massive albatross contract kicking in.

Add in the complication of DeBrincat having a really disappointing season with another team and questions arise on that front as well.

I don't see what Arizona would get out of moving Keller for Debrincat. Keller is a much better all-around player. Debrincat is probably going to be more expensive, if you can even get him locked up long-term in Arizona. Where he could even just walk away after a year. Compared to Keller being under contract for a bunch more years. Backloaded deal that isn't really Arizona's style, sure...but even the heaviest of those backloaded cash salary years are probably not too far outside the vicinity of what DeBrincat could end up asking for.

I just don't really see Arizona being in the best financial position or competitive place to make them a prime DeBrincat destination.

A team like Nashville would make a lot more sense to me. I'd say Carolina, but i figure they're probably looking to get bigger in the Top-6, not even smaller. Same potentially for the Devils. I could see Detroit being interested but i'm not sure they have the right "roster player" to include, it'd have to be more futures-oriented. Flames could try to work something out if they want to reconfigure some things, but cap-wise it'd be tricky to work in an extension. Kinda wonder if a team like Washington might not join the fray as part of a retool late in Ovechkin's career...though he's not necessarily exactly the sort of player they probably need.

I could see a number of teams kicking tires on Debrincat. I'm just not convinced many are going to be willing to offer the right valuable "centerpiece" or the right roster backfill player to help the Sens recoup a lot of the value they ultimately gave up. Not with that contract situation/demands/UFA potential looming.

I believe you misunderstood my quote ragrding Keller. I was suggesting getting futures back for DeBrincat, and then sending those futures (along with Pinto) to Arizona for Keller.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
And the Cat puts up 80 points for the team he ends up on.
Sure it’s a win-win for Ottawa and the team they trade Alex too.

My money would be on Detroit acquiring DeBrincat as they have the draft capital and cap space to acquire DeBrincat.

My offer for DeBrincat would be the 17th overall pick 1st round, the 41st overall pick 2nd round, and a 4th round pick in 2025.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I porposed this on the CAR board. Wonder what others think?

30th overall
Conditional 2024 1st - if DeBrincat Re-Signs
Conditional 2024 2nd - If he Re-signs and CAR wins the cup

Ottawa could then flip that return and get a DeBrincat replacement, or pehaps even a goalie.

I believe you misunderstood my quote ragrding Keller. I was suggesting getting futures back for DeBrincat, and then sending those futures (along with Pinto) to Arizona for Keller.

Ahhh. That makes a little bit more sense.

Becomes a complicated process, where you're trying to cobble together the pieces that Arizona would want for Keller. While also moving DeBrincat for pure futures without taking back any substantial cap to make that work. Realistically, there are only so many teams out there who can afford to take on DeBrincat's expected cap hit, without sending something else the other way. Would narrow the market even more on him i think.

Becomes a couple of separate, somewhat complicated deals. But it'd make more sense from Arizona's end for sure. If they really are still just in a rebuilding mode, clearing the decks of any real salary (especially backloaded guys like Keller, Schmaltz).

Reactions: KevinRedkey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad