Rumor: DeBoer possibly getting fired?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Thank god we're not building a real fourth line that can score by putting Radil on Suomela's wing. It DEFINITELY has to be one or the other, there's NO WAY anyone else on that line can sit.
This is the same bullshit that took place with Wingels. He was trash for a season and a half before DW finally stepped in and moved him. Melker Karlsson is a drag on the entire team the way Deboer uses him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Thank god we're not building a real fourth line that can score by putting Radil on Suomela's wing. It DEFINITELY has to be one or the other, there's NO WAY anyone else on that line can sit.

I'm at a loss at this point. Melker and Goodrow have played every single game. We have other options, and better ones. I'd call some guys up, but what's the point if these two can't be moved off this line?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is the same bull**** that took place with Wingels. He was trash for a season and a half before DW finally stepped in and moved him. Melker Karlsson is a drag on the entire team the way Deboer uses him.

Same thing happened with TMac and Burish. I just want a coach who is able to identify and ice the more skilled players than play the useless overpaid players.

Scoring depth was one of the big reasons we went to the SC. Suomela has 8 points. He needs to be iced night in and night out. You build the rest of the 4th line around him. Gambrell, Chartier and Goodrow have been underwhelming this year but Melker has been flat out bad. Radil looked decent in the 1 game he has played this year and deserves more ice time but not at the cost of Suomela. Karlsson is the worst forward we have iced so far this year. No doubt about that and yet he has played every game.

There is really nothing funny about this anymore.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Same thing happened with TMac and Burish. I just want a coach who is able to identify and ice the more skilled players than play the useless overpaid players.

Scoring depth was one of the big reasons we went to the SC. Suomela has 8 points. He needs to be iced night in and night out. You build the rest of the 4th line around him. Gambrell, Chartier and Goodrow have been underwhelming this year but Melker has been flat out bad. Radil looked decent in the 1 game he has played this year and deserves more ice time but not at the cost of Suomela. Karlsson is the worst forward we have iced so far this year. No doubt about that and yet he has played every game.

There is really nothing funny about this anymore.
It’s not funny and also so irritating that if a top 9 forward goes down Melker is the in game replacement. What on earth has melker done in the past year that warrants that level of trust? Deboer is just awful at assessing his own players.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you

It's curious though , this is exactly how 9 out of 10 NHL coaches behave. They will play their useless overpaid player/s over better options until the GM forces their hand and moves the player out.
Then again it's the GM's fault for signing the useless overpaid player in the first place.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's curious though , this is exactly how 9 out of 10 NHL coaches behave. They will play their useless overpaid player/s over better options until the GM forces their hand and moves the player out.
Then again it's the GM's fault for signing the useless overpaid player in the first place.

I honestly don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Is there an unspoken rule where the coach has to play the crappy players over the better options because they make more money? Is it the GM directly or indirectly telling the coach that so-and-so player needs to see more ice-time because of their salary, etc? No idea but how can a player failing both the eye test and advanced stats still be getting so much ice-time when there are better options available.

The only saving grace for us so far is that it is a 4th line player and not a top-6 player. The teams problems at this time are larger than replacing Melker but it still does not excuse the poor choice in players getting iced.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
this all just amuses me now
WelldocumentedUnitedIndianskimmer-small.gif

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I honestly don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Is there an unspoken rule where the coach has to play the crappy players over the better options because they make more money? Is it the GM directly or indirectly telling the coach that so-and-so player needs to see more ice-time because of their salary, etc? No idea but how can a player failing both the eye test and advanced stats still be getting so much ice-time when there are better options available.

The only saving grace for us so far is that it is a 4th line player and not a top-6 player. The teams problems at this time are larger than replacing Melker but it still does not excuse the poor choice in players getting iced.

He did play further up the lineup this season, too. And he plays an awful lot for a 4th liner...every other organization would have waived him months ago...the fact that he's not only still with the Sharks but also playing well over 11mins per game tells me that we're not even close from a DeBoer firing. Wilson didn't even start to apply pressure. I don't understand how he's able to sleep at night but it is what it is...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It’s not funny and also so irritating that if a top 9 forward goes down Melker is the in game replacement. What on earth has melker done in the past year that warrants that level of trust? Deboer is just awful at assessing his own players.

Even the dumbest idiot will, after watching a complete game of Melker, realize that this plug doesn't belong. Everybody here noticed it months if not years ago. So unless he's constantly coaching drunk it's fairly safe to assume that any hockey coach would identify the problem after just a couple of shifts. So unless DeBoer has some real problems he's playing Karlsson for non-hockey reasons and despite knowing how bad he is.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He did play further up the lineup this season, too. And he plays an awful lot for a 4th liner...every other organization would have waived him months ago...the fact that he's not only still with the Sharks but also playing well over 11mins per game tells me that we're not even close from a DeBoer firing. Wilson didn't even start to apply pressure. I don't understand how he's able to sleep at night but it is what it is...
Yeah. I think at this time there are only 2 ways we see Melker no be a regular on the roster.

1. PDB is fired.
2. Melker is traded or waived.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Again, he isn't going to be scratched as long as he is on the team. He's played the most of any forward other than Couture on the PK. He only get's ~11 minutes a game which is the most of the rotating cast of 4th liners but only by about a minute which I attribute to the fact that he plays the most PK time of any of those.

Suomela has close to the least time played of any forward on the PK other than Donskoi/Labanc/Thornton.

He is this years Brown/Burish/4th line plug. But as long as he is killing penalties and the Sharks are top 10 in PK he will continue to get to play over others. The same is true of Goodrow who plays a ton of PK minutes. The coaches obviously like something when it comes to their PK ability that they believe it deserves playing time over others.

I hate him as much as the next person but we need to calm down a bit. One player on the 4th line is hardly the biggest issue we have as a team

Edit: one last point, if we scratch Karlsson, who fills his time on the PK?

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Again, he isn't going to be scratched as long as he is on the team. He's played the most of any forward other than Couture on the PK. He only get's ~11 minutes a game which is the most of the rotating cast of 4th liners but only by about a minute which I attribute to the fact that he plays the most PK time of any of those.

Suomela has close to the least time played of any forward on the PK other than Donskoi/Labanc/Thornton.

He is this years Brown/Burish/4th line plug. But as long as he is killing penalties and the Sharks are top 10 in PK he will continue to get to play over others. The same is true of Goodrow who plays a ton of PK minutes. The coaches obviously like something when it comes to their PK ability that they believe it deserves playing time over others.

I hate him as much as the next person but we need to calm down a bit. One player on the 4th line is hardly the biggest issue we have as a team

My issue is playing the best possible team every night to give your team the chance to win. Melker just makes bad play after bad play, while Suomela adds more speed and skill to the team which we need.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Gimme only one reason why Karlsson should play PK over Meier or Donskoi. Plus, he doesn't just play PK. Karlsson gets 10mins EV per game which is a lot for a plug.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
My issue is playing the best possible team every night to give your team the chance to win. Melker just makes bad play after bad play, while Suomela adds more speed and skill to the team which we need.
Name me a team that doesn't ice one 4th line plug that could be replaced by a younger player. Firing Pete doesn't solve this issue because whoever they hire is going to do exactly what PDB is doing which is dressing Melker, playing him ~11 minutes a game, while giving him a ton of PK time.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I understand the frustration of Karlsson being cemented into the lineup. It is a minor irritant for me compared to his overuse of Braun in addition to playing the exact same lineup on the second night of a back-to-back (he really should rest a player or two).

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Name me a team that doesn't ice one 4th line plug that could be replaced by a younger player. Firing Pete doesn't solve this issue because whoever they hire is going to do exactly what PDB is doing which is dressing Melker, playing him ~11 minutes a game, while giving him a ton of PK time.

This is completely unsubstantiated and certainly false.

I would ask you to name me a team who has not once healthy scratched a forward who, in his last 51 games, has 1 goal and 3 assists, despite averaging over 10 minutes per game, and whose underlying metrics are all by far the worst on the team. A new coach would immediately scratch a guy like Melker unless he was producing well.

Reactions: Hinterland

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Gimme only one reason why Karlsson should play PK over Meier or Donskoi. Plus, he doesn't just play PK. Karlsson gets 10mins EV per game which is a lot for a plug.
I have no reason why he shouldn't. I'm just saying it's ridiculous to be this upset about someone playing when as we've seen time and time again nothing will change, there will always be one plug we hate, and every team in the NHL plays a player like this on their 4th line.

Karlsson plays 10 minutes ATOI at EV. Gambrell got 9:50, Chartier got 9 minutes, Goodrow gets 8:44 and Radil has 10:25. Suomela is crushing it at 11 minutes.

You guys are freaking out over 1-2 minutes per game of ice time at even strength. I agree he sucks, I agree I'd rather see Radil/Suomela/Goodrow/Chartier on the 4th line but it's November...there are far bigger issues with this team

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

I would ask you to name me a team who has not once healthy scratched a forward who, in his last 51 games, has 1 goal and 3 assists, despite averaging over 10 minutes per game, and whose underlying metrics are all by far the worst on the team. A new coach would immediately scratch a guy like Melker unless he was producing well.
I can argue your point about what you bolded is unsubstantiated and certainly false as well. That's the beauty of speculation. Until Pete is fired, which he wont be, we will never know

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Where are you getting these numbers? I dislike Melker, but those stats aren't true with or without the 17-18 post-season.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad