Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think it was Friedman on a recent podcast who stated that there is a lot of interest around the league for Arvidsson. I don’t expect him to return.
I can't remember, but I thought I saw somewhere that we weren't giving him an offer at all so it is all but guaranteed he won't be on the Kings.

Reactions: Nasti

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think it was Friedman on a recent podcast who stated that there is a lot of interest around the league for Arvidsson. I don’t expect him to return.
Its been confirmed Arvidsson isn't returning

apparently Burroughs was the worst dman on the sharks. Thank god we got him. We wouldn't want Spence and Clarke getting valuable playing time lmaooooo

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Acquiring a player in the most overstocked position pipeline on your roster... if aliens came to earth and explored the King's org, they would report back - no signs of intelligence

Edit: If this is to upgrade 3LD - playing his offside... i still find this odd

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Like herpes, we will have this every year

Again with this rare fantasy scenario. Roy was playing top 4 minutes for a team heading to the playoffs. That guy isn't traded at the deadline, unless the offer is stupidly ridiculous, which it probably wouldn't have been.

I know, if you're not a contender, sell all UFAs at the deadline, because it doesn't matter if you make the playoffs and maybe manage to win a round, if you don't simply embarrass yourself. But, this is pro sports, and unfortunately teams do like making the playoffs.

Why does DL give up assets in that stupid little Halpern trade in 2010? Because maybe you win an extra 1st rd game.

JMFJ ---> Voynov
Roy ---> Spence

Difference isn't that big, especially considering how bad Roy was down the stretch, how much better spence was getting, and how much they needed to find a way to get Clarke in.

It's not nearly as flabbergasting as you're acting, stop being a drama queen, you were better when you were just being a facetious contrarian, not a pearl-clutching rabblerouser.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Laine is exactly the type of player the Kings should be looking at getting. I'm sure the unicorn hunters will be out in full force like they were for Eichel (wrong), JT Miller (wrong) and PLD (right). But the Kings have huge issues, especially when it comes to finishers (Trevor Moore led this team in goals, come on guys), and you aren't going to find a potential 40 goal guy, who hustles, has a great attitude and a reasonable contract, the ones like that are all signed long-term and/or not being traded.

Laine checks some key boxes for the Kings

- Right hand-shot. A huge issue for the Kings, which would be even worse if VA leaves.

- Great finisher. 35 goals for every 82 played, career high 44.

The booming right-hand shot is the key to many PP's around the league now, I'd like to see the Kings adopt that kind of strategy, and moving on from Kopitar and Doughty being the focal points. Let Kempe carry it in (which he is great at), have Byfield use his size, reach and great hands in front let Laine fire from the left circle, let Clarke dazzle on the blue line, let Fiala be the distributor.

- The cost would be lower than it has been.

Other than QB and Clarke (who wouldn't be going) the Kings don't really have any young assets of significance. Which happens when you trade multiple 1sts, and have multiple firsts flop. If Blake is fired after this season and a rebuild is initiated, it's going to be a long long road back, and not having another 1st (outside the top 20) and Jordan Spence (as an example) is unlikely to make a huge difference for how that rebuild goes.

- Still in prime at age 26.

- Under contract for 2 more years.

This is what is most appealing, his contract expires the same time that Kopitar's does. I know many people here myself included think its ridiculous, but this team is trying to contend, and doesn't give two shits about anything beyond when Kopitar's contract expires. I would have loved to have been starting over this summer and looking at trading for a guy like McGroarty. But that isn't the case, so we need to do what is best for trying to turn a middling cannon fodder team into a contender, it's definitely a long-shot, but for it to happen you need to take a swing on a guy like this.

I'm not saying this is going to do anything in the big picture, it probably doesn't, but you have to get better offensively to win playoff series with teams like Edmonton and Vegas. Some of the cosmetic fixes, like getting tougher, or getting a 3rd pair LHD are the types of moves that finished pieces contenders need to address, not a team that is 6-12 in the playoffs the last three seasons.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Laine is exactly the type of player the Kings should be looking at getting. I'm sure the unicorn hunters will be out in full force like they were for Eichel (wrong), JT Miller (wrong) and PLD (right). But the Kings have huge issues, especially when it comes to finishers (Trevor Moore led this team in goals, come on guys), and you aren't going to find a potential 40 goal guy, who hustles, has a great attitude and a reasonable contract, the ones like that are all signed long-term and/or not being traded.

Laine checks some key boxes for the Kings

- Right hand-shot. A huge issue for the Kings, which would be even worse if VA leaves.

- Great finisher. 35 goals for every 82 played, career high 44.

The booming right-hand shot is the key to many PP's around the league now, I'd like to see the Kings adopt that kind of strategy, and moving on from Kopitar and Doughty being the focal points. Let Kempe carry it in (which he is great at), have Byfield use his size, reach and great hands in front let Laine fire from the left circle, let Clarke dazzle on the blue line, let Fiala be the distributor.

- The cost would be lower than it has been.

Other than QB and Clarke (who wouldn't be going) the Kings don't really have any young assets of significance. Which happens when you trade multiple 1sts, and have multiple firsts flop. If Blake is fired after this season and a rebuild is initiated, it's going to be a long long road back, and not having another 1st (outside the top 20) and Jordan Spence (as an example) is unlikely to make a huge difference for how that rebuild goes.

- Still in prime at age 26.

- Under contract for 2 more years.

This is what is most appealing, his contract expires the same time that Kopitar's does. I know many people here myself included think its ridiculous, but this team is trying to contend, and doesn't give two shits about anything beyond when Kopitar's contract expires. I would have loved to have been starting over this summer and looking at trading for a guy like McGroarty. But that isn't the case, so we need to do what is best for trying to turn a middling cannon fodder team into a contender, it's definitely a long-shot, but for it to happen you need to take a swing on a guy like this.

I'm not saying this is going to do anything in the big picture, it probably doesn't, but you have to get better offensively to win playoff series with teams like Edmonton and Vegas. Some of the cosmetic fixes, like getting tougher, or getting a 3rd pair LHD are the types of moves that finished pieces contenders need to address, not a team that is 6-12 in the playoffs the last three seasons.
Yea this is exactly right. Its a better swing at this moment than singing ufas like Debrusk long term.
Two years left on the deal is right in the Kopitar Doughty window. High upside and low acquisition cost. Have the capspace to make it work. Wont hurt long term if it doesnt work.
Can be a really good winger for Byfield.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But the Kings have huge issues, especially when it comes to finishers (Trevor Moore led this team in goals, come on guys), and you aren't going to find a potential 40 goal guy, who hustles, has a great attitude and a reasonable contract, the ones like that are all signed long-term and/or not being traded.

Has anyone tried telling the front office this

Reactions: tigermask48

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
JMFJ ---> Voynov
Roy ---> Spence

Difference isn't that big, especially considering how bad Roy was down the stretch, how much better spence was getting, and how much they needed to find a way to get Clarke in.

It's not nearly as flabbergasting as you're acting, stop being a drama queen, you were better when you were just being a facetious contrarian, not a pearl-clutching rabblerouser.

DL wasn't trading Johnson outside of catastrophe, which is where that team was headed. He was dealt for 3 different reasons, none of which involved Voynov. Voynov wasn't not in the lineup at the same time as Johnson. He wasn't in the minors. He was playing.

The first reason is that season trending toward disaster, which is the totality of the other 2. Gagne, "surprisingly", got hurt, and Penner couldn't score. If at least of those things is not the case, and they had been in a better position for the playoffs at the deadline, I have zero doubt DL would've been content going into the playoffs with the top 7D he had.

Carter got here because they had two LWs that weren't getting the job done, and the team was in danger of missing the playoffs in a true contender year. They had pretty much the same record under MUrray and Sutter. It wasn't geting better.

There's no drama queen. Johnson and Roy aren't analogous. It's not the same situation at all.

Good GMs of non-contender playoff teams aren't trading their pending UFAs at the deadline. It pretty much never happens. Wilson did it once with the Sharks, and there might be another random one somewhere. I hope there's a solid and long list of that happening though. Why anyone would think Blake, a bad GM, would make the kind of move that good GMs don't make, I don't get.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
alex laferriere on the top line is the kind of comedy only hoven can write

love the absolutely miniscule passing mention of trading roy's rights while intentionally neglecting to mention what he could've fetched at the deadline, AND THEN he spitballs trading away the '25 1st rounder to get chychrun

my man truly is in tune with the kings
Don't know if it is Hoven writing it or not, but I loved in the draft article how it says something about the Kings "making hay" with 7th round picks while noting Roy (Lombardi pick) and then Lee and Jamsen who have not played one f***ing minute in the NHL.

The Kings made hay in the 7th round under DL with Nolan/Dowd/Roy. Blake hasn't done anything with a 7th rounder yet at the NHL level.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Acquiring a player in the most overstocked position pipeline on your roster... if aliens came to earth and explored the King's org, they would report back - no signs of intelligence

Edit: If this is to upgrade 3LD - playing his offside... i still find this odd
I hope this is just a AHL depth guy for injury reasons but with Hiller still coaching it probably means we keep him as an 8th defenseman on the roster and he runs an 11/7 every game. He just rotates either Moverare or Burroughs every game.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I hope this is just a AHL depth guy for injury reasons but with Hiller still coaching it probably means we keep him as an 8th defenseman on the roster and he runs an 11/7 every game. He just rotates either Moverare or Burroughs every game.
Seems they wanted to get something for Grundstrom..sure get a pick for him - maybe no takers? Still to me it wouldve been better to just let him walk vs take on another 1m in cap for 2 years for another 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad