Speculation: DEADLINE DALLAS: Dream Defenseman Destination? Discuss.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Wondering if we see a move between tomorrow and Friday. After tonight, we have a 3 day break until we play again on March 2nd. I suppose we could do something between the 2nd and the 5th but I'd figure they want their deals done before the 8th because our Cali road trip starts then and it's a B2B.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Wondering if we see a move between tomorrow and Friday. After tonight, we have a 3 day break until we play again on March 2nd. I suppose we could do something between the 2nd and the 5th but I'd figure they want their deals done before the 8th because our Cali road trip starts then and it's a B2B.

We play Thursday

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I think unless another team really steps up, all signs point to us landing Tanev. Huge addition for our blueline.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
At least 12 teams have been linked to the Calgary Flames' impending unrestricted free agent defenseman. But now hockey insider Pierre LeBrun has revealed on TSN's Insider Trading that a Stanley Cup contender out west has the inside edge:

I would go with the Dallas Stars... (their reported interest) has continued to grow. They have coveted going out and getting a right-shot defenceman and he tops that list. And they made it clear to the Calgary Flames what they're willing to pay in a trade for Chris Tanev. But what that package doesn't include right now, is my understanding, is it does not include a first round pick.
And really, that's why Chris Tanev hasn't moved. Because of all the teams that have shown interest—and we know that a dozen teams that have reached out on Tanev—no one has yet slapped a first round pick on the table, and that's why I think the Flames are willing to be patient and see if the market plays out.

Just give up the 1st. It will be the last pick in the first round anyways. Stop rolling out Pouliot as if he can play in the NHL.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
No 1st for a rental. Hold the line jim dog.
So Vegas has no problem trading them away. Tampa has no problem trading them away. See a trend?

If Tanev is the missing link to solidify the defense I’m okay with moving the 1st with the caveat of Seguin on LTIR. That’s a game changer and screw Tanev. Go for a bigger impact defender.

Reactions: MBTendy

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
I think with their core as it is and promising prospects coming up- this year doesn’t scream at me as the one to go all in. They have time. They aren’t a defenseman away from reliably moving solidly into contender status- which Nill recognizes as there is smoke around trying to acquire two defensemen. But I think if they’re patient, and Nill is, that can materialize soon. If they’re spending a 1st they should be looking at term or a sign and trade- or at least a wink and a nod about intent to resign.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I would not move a 1st round pick for Tanev ngl. Stand your ground Nill, that 1st should be used for someone even better to go along with someone like Tanev

agreed and this is a situation where all the other GM's know the flames are trying to squeeze them. If LeBrun says we're front runners I imagine we have the best offer on the table currently and CGY is waiting to see if anyone can beat it.

Reactions: Sports2

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Firsts are for players with term-potential and or hefty retention (imho)
I know it doesn't always go down like that but that's a big pile of chips for a one-off

(also IMHO) espn-- this is way too damn high
you fold them hard here unless you can convince them of something lesser
that's ~2x1sts for a couple months rental w retention. Nah.
Screenshot_4.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: LT

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I know it doesn't always go down like that but that's a big pile of chips for a one-off

View attachment 826288

Wtf proposal is that lmao. That's hilariously bad.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

View attachment 826288
I agree it's too high but lundkvist isn't a 1st in value just because we pissed 1 away on him

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Wtf proposal is that lmao. That's hilariously bad.
"ESPN Staff" == "Cowards"

If teams are not willing to offer up a first round pick for Tanev, why would the Stars end up paying a 1st, 2nd, 5th, and a player for a rental?
yea, thats too many assets to speculatively piss away for the end of the season
I like Tanev, but does that take us over the top? not really.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Should that have been Hanifin instead of Tanev? That’s a ton for Tanev. I think Tanev would help this team a ton but not at that price.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
If Nill traded high draft picks away at the rate so many fans have proposed over the years, we wouldn't have any of our exciting young players right now, and we also would be quite unlikely to have a Cup to show for it.

Two seasons from now, the 2026 Cup, is the prime opportunity with the ages of various players and prospects - that's the one to really build for. Don't throw away anything too valuable for a bit of a longshot this season.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
"It's fair," Nill said. "We've got a solid 13 forwards up top already and then I know I've got a bunch of young guys down below. … Defense, you can never have enough defensemen. So that's something we're looking at. What's the cost of acquisition -- what's the asset cost? That's what we're monitoring right now."
Im probably reading too much into this but the praise for the 13 forwards is funny since the biggest under-performers are forwards- and then the defense gets kind of a whatever statement. The defense as constructed has performed admirably IMO. The goaltending sucked for the first 1/3rd of the season. If they actually had 13 solid forwards (they don’t) I might have let it slide but if i were a defenseman and reading this i would be a little peeved.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
Y’all arent ready to hear this- but Harley-Heiskanen is a really good line. Suter - Lundkvist is a good line. There was smoke around acquiring two defensemen. What if Lindell goes the other way in a Hanafin + Tanev deal? I know he has a NMC. Hanley is moved and Hakanpaa is your 7th D. Almost certainly not a thing but an interesting thought.

Reactions: Dallasman

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Y’all arent ready to hear this- but Harley-Heiskanen is a really good line. Suter - Lundkvist is a good line. There was smoke around acquiring two defensemen. What if Lindell goes the other way in a Hanafin + Tanev deal? I know he has a NMC. Hanley is moved and Hakanpaa is your 7th D. Almost certainly not a thing but an interesting thought.
Just answered your own question lol. No way Esa waives to go to Calgary.

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad