Confirmed with Link: David Rundblad and Mathieu Brisebois to the Hawks for a 2nd (2014)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I think the gap is closing between the two and to give up on Leddy now would be foolish. Oduya doesn't warrant it.

I don't want to see either of them moved to be honest.

But you wouldn't be giving up on Leddy, you'd be using him (your #5 Dman) to improve your team.

I wouldn't trade Leddy unless the Hawks were getting a superb player back. If they can get one, they improve themselves now and can mitigate the immediate loss of Leddy with Rundblad.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm as big of a Leddy fan as anyone in here, but if sending him to Vancouver contributes to Ryan Kesler coming back, I'm strongly, strongly considering it. I love Leddy, but I think Kesler makes this team much more dangerous right now and going forward given the depth there is on the blue line in the system and the need Kesler would fill. I think Leddy could handle being the 4th d-man going forward but, if I can have Kesler in this lineup I think I pull the trigger on that given some of the d-men that could come in and fill a spot Leddy vacates.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
At US to Canada exchange rates I think I am getting a pretty good "I told you so" celebration out of this.

:D

Crazy Ike, Sir, I owe you an Internet apology.

It's too bad we didn't shake on that bet though. You'd be $100 richer ($90 Canadian)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I see this Rundblad deal and I think Leddy + Bickell+ 1st + McNeil/Morin for Kesler is in the works

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I see this Rundblad deal and I think Leddy + Bickell+ 1st + McNeil/Morin for Kesler is in the works

Honestly as much as I think the Bickell signing was an overpay, I still would prefer to keep him around this season because he can bring an element that no one else in the organization can during the playoffs. I wonder if VAN would retain 50% while the Hawks to kept Bickell and kicked in another pick/prospect.

Sharp/Toews/Hossa
Saad/Kesler/Kane
Bickell/Shaw/Versteeg

with the possibility to reunite BTK and throw out a Sharp-Kesler-Hossa line in the playoffs would be awesome. Anyways, I'm inclined to believe that the Rundblad trade means that there is something happening with either Oduya or Leddy before the deadline.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Honestly as much as I think the Bickell signing was an overpay, I still would prefer to keep him around this season because he can bring an element that no one else in the organization can during the playoffs. I wonder if VAN would retain 50% while the Hawks to kept Bickell and kicked in another pick/prospect.

Sharp/Toews/Hossa
Saad/Kesler/Kane
Bickell/Shaw/Versteeg

with the possibility to reunite BTK and throw out a Sharp-Kesler-Hossa line in the playoffs would be awesome. Anyways, I'm inclined to believe that the Rundblad trade means that there is something happening with either Oduya or Leddy before the deadline.

If that is the case, I'm inclined to think Leddy's the one that's shipped.

skiba77777

Jun 24, 2013
I think we need to do something to shake the team up slightly and get rid of the complacency. I don't think we'd miss Oduya or Leddy all that much. I think Oduya specifically has gotten quite overrated.

That being said, it's Bowman. This is our team for this year and next.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica

Sharp/Toews/Hossa
Saad/Kesler/Kane
Bickell/Shaw/Versteeg

The Hawks can't afford Kesler without Bickell or someone with a similar AAV ($4 million) being dealt. Needless to say, you either lose Bickell and a couple nice pieces or roll with what you have. Sadly, we can't have both.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't see the point of this deal

Rundblad has shown nothing at professional level to indicate he is anything but a wasted pick

If this is Bowman's big move ,, I simply think we gave up a 2nd for nothing

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Agreed, since Oduya is the better player right now.

Yeah, as a pair Oduya and Hammer are very strong and the coaching staff clearly have much more trust in Oduya than they do Leddy. In addition, Leddy has way more upside, is very young, and would bring the most back in return at this point. A team would consider Leddy as a young player to include in a core to build around, I don't think the same can be said for Oduya, just because he's older and is who he is at this point in his career. The most Leddy's ever going to be on this team is a number four, and there's a lot of depth at the position in the system, albeit none with his skill set and talent. That said, he's easier replaced and less of a necessity on this team with the second pairing being as solid as it is. I've long said, for me, it would take a hell of a return for me to part with Leddy, but if that return is out there, I say he's the most likely to be moved at this point.

SLarmer28*

Hopefully, Sheldon Brookbank won't be on the roster next season as well as his brother Wade down in Rockford.

SLarmer28*

Yeah, as a pair Oduya and Hammer are very strong and the coaching staff clearly have much more trust in Oduya than they do Leddy. In addition, Leddy has way more upside, is very young, and would bring the most back in return at this point. A team would consider Leddy as a young player to include in a core to build around, I don't think the same can be said for Oduya, just because he's older and is who he is at this point in his career. The most Leddy's ever going to be on this team is a number four, and there's a lot of depth at the position in the system, albeit none with his skill set and talent. That said, he's easier replaced and less of a necessity on this team with the second pairing being as solid as it is. I've long said, for me, it would take a hell of a return for me to part with Leddy, but if that return is out there, I say he's the most likely to be moved at this point.
A team in rebuilding mode, such as Vancouver, would have no interest in Johnny Oduya.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
A team in rebuilding mode, such as Vancouver, would have no interest in Johnny Oduya.

That's what I'm saying. Leddy has way more appeal and value in a trade right now. Oduya is a guy, Leddy is a very good young talent with a pretty high ceiling.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
The Hawks can't afford Kesler without Bickell or someone with a similar AAV ($4 million) being dealt. Needless to say, you either lose Bickell and a couple nice pieces or roll with what you have. Sadly, we can't have both.

Kesler for Leddy works is VAN retains 50% (Leddy is 2.7M, 50% of Kesler is 2.5M so that trade actually saves the Hawks cap space). With the direction the Canucks are going they would probably rather retain part of Kesler's salary then take on Bickell if they're dealing with the Hawks, especially if the Hawks sweeten the pot as compensation.

neodydan

Jul 4, 2011
Isn't Rundblad an offensive defenseman who needs to seriously improve his defense?

Maybe he can help the powerplay. Just hope he doesn't end up in Q's doghouse or he winds up in the press box like he was with the Coyotes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kesler for Leddy works is VAN retains 50% (Leddy is 2.7M, 50% of Kesler is 2.5M so that trade actually saves the Hawks cap space). With the direction the Canucks are going they would probably rather retain part of Kesler's salary then take on Bickell if they're dealing with the Hawks, especially if the Hawks sweeten the pot as compensation.

Doubt the Nucks retain his salary

They would be on hook for next 2 years as well

SLarmer28*

That's what I'm saying. Leddy has way more appeal and value in a trade right now. Oduya is a guy, Leddy is a very good young talent with a pretty high ceiling.
Not specifically directed at you, but I find it quite amusing from the posters on the Chicago Blackhawks forum that a team like Vancouver would have any interest whatsoever in Johnny Oduya.

If the Chicago Blackhawks want Kesler, Leddy is on the table not Oduya.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013

Agree, I love Leddy and really want to see what he can become but if trading our 5D and prospects/picks could lead to a REAL solution to 2C I would be beyond ecstatic. I believe the Hawks can win again with what they have but to me the Rundblad trade looks like Stanbo is mobilizing for a response to the Miller trade, otherwise what is the point in bringing in Rundblad? He won't crack the current Hawks D lineup and the organization already has plenty of promising blue-line depth. It would take Rundblad from a bad situation in Phoenix and put him in an even worse one at the cost of the Hawks 2nd rounder.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Not specifically directed at you, but I find it quite amusing from the posters on the Chicago Blackhawks forum that a team like Vancouver would have any interest whatsoever in Johnny Oduya.

If the Chicago Blackhawks want Kesler, Leddy is on the table not Oduya.

I never suggested that Oduya would be a piece for Kesler, just that I think this trade is a precursor for a trade of one of the Hawks defensemen. Obviously the Canucks (or any deadline seller) would have much more interest in Leddy.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I don't see the point of this deal

Rundblad has shown nothing at professional level to indicate he is anything but a wasted pick

If this is Bowman's big move ,, I simply think we gave up a 2nd for nothing

Just like Pirri, essentially.

Remember, the Hawks 2nd and the Panthers 3rd are basically gonna be the same thing. I'd rather take my chances with a guy who looks to have the tools to play in this league that a crapshoot late 2nd rounder.

And no, this isn't "his big move". He's probably not making one. But sometimes when you see value at the deadline, you pounce on it, even if it's a move with the future more so in mind.

SLarmer28*

Just like Pirri, essentially.

Remember, the Hawks 2nd and the Panthers 3rd are basically gonna be the same thing. I'd rather take my chances with a guy who looks to have the tools to play in this league that a crapshoot late 2nd rounder.

And no, this isn't "his big move". He's probably not making one. But sometimes when you see value at the deadline, you pounce on it, even if it's a move with the future more so in mind.
I don't foresee Sheldon Brookbank on the roster next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad