Confirmed with Link: David Rundblad and Mathieu Brisebois to the Hawks for a 2nd (2014)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
FYI Runblad lead the Coyotes in preseason points and looked every part his billing. Team buried him for whatever reason. Wish him luck in your organization.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
It could also be a depth move in case TT comes over this year. The difference in salary between Rundblad and Brookbank is just enough that if Brookbank was waved they could fit TT in and still have 7 d-men on the roster.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Seems like he could be a diamond in the rough that didn't get a chance in Phoenix for whatever reason. I'm willing to give him a shot for a second.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But why did they also get Brisebois in this deal...another man for Rockford...are they gonna move Clendenning now? Or was this just a way to help PJX shed a contract? BUT if so the add to the 50 contract thing should mean a bigger overload of our man component of that..we shed Costa but add 2 more men contracts and have Johns to add yet. POX must be so overloaded in men that they felt they must purge 2 off their depth in the org on that position for just a 2nd rounders...unusual.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Don't necessarily understand the trade. In a vacuum and value wise, it's a good move. You're getting a puck moving D, whose a righty, and has the potential to help your power play in the future and an ok prospect in Brisebrois (who might go to the ECHL, as the 'hawks have both Clendening and newly re-acquired Connolly to be puck movers) . It will be a late second round pick so the likelihood of getting someone better than Rundblad isn't high.

But, as far as I've seen, he can't be sent down to Rockford w/out going through waivers which isn't going to happen. Where does he play? Who sits in favor of him? Chicago waived Kostka because he wasnt necessary (the playoff lineup will be Seabs/Keith/Leddy/Oduya/Rozival/Hjalmarrson with Brookbank as a spare). So, as things stand now, he's got no where to play. There are no injuries with the defense that I'm aware of.

I assume there's a move coming next season, be it Leddy or Oduya or both, because they've got Dahlback whose ready to play and Clendening, whose leading his team in scoring as a D (58 games 46 pts). Rundblad makes Clendening redundant or vice-versa.

So, it's a curious move by the Blackhawks.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Don't necessarily understand the trade. In a vacuum and value wise, it's a good move. You're getting a puck moving D, whose a righty, and has the potential to help your power play in the future and an ok prospect in Brisebrois (who might go to the ECHL, as the 'hawks have both Clendening and newly re-acquired Connolly to be puck movers) . It will be a late second round pick so the likelihood of getting someone better than Rundblad isn't high.

But, as far as I've seen, he can't be sent down to Rockford w/out going through waivers which isn't going to happen. Where does he play? Who sits in favor of him? Chicago waived Kostka because he wasnt necessary (the playoff lineup will be Seabs/Keith/Leddy/Oduya/Rozival/Hjalmarrson with Brookbank as a spare). So, as things stand now, he's got no where to play. There are no injuries with the defense that I'm aware of.

I assume there's a move coming next season, be it Leddy or Oduya or both, because they've got Dahlback whose ready to play and Clendening, whose leading his team in scoring as a D (58 games 46 pts). Rundblad makes Clendening redundant or vice-versa.

So, it's a curious move by the Blackhawks.

I think this makes Leddy expendable next year.

He'd bring plenty in a trade, would save us cap space, and allows Bowman to continue to stock the cupboards for future use.

Leddy will likely not be a top 4 guy for Chicago because he doesn't fit what is required. At least not until after he is a UFA. So, I expect Chicago to move him while he has decent value.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hopefully he's Oduya's replacement soon, who Hammer has had to bail out alot this year. Hell, you can argue Leddy has played better in a few games this year when he got more minutes. Crazy to think Rundblad was picked right after Leddy in that 09' draft.

ploppsdman

Feb 5, 2004
I doubt there will be any moves until the draft regarding Leddy/Oduya but clearly picking up Runblad means one of them is gone. You don't spend a second round pick on Runblad only to lose him to waivers in a few months or put him in the same situation he was in in Phoenix (ie press box).

I can't see Chicago messing with their defense this season, especially for David Runblad.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I don't see anything about Leddy or Oduya in the works.

Neither of them are in urgent need of going anywhere. All we did with this trade was buy low on a young player with huge potential. I'd be stunned if it meant anything more than that. The Hawks already have a great roster and a GM who's got a track record of not making huge deadline moves.

We're done for this trade deadline.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Definitely creates depth for a move down the road.

However, part of me thinks that PHO knew he wouldn't resign so were shopping him and Stan just saw good value and made the move.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Hello Rundblad, good bye Leddy

Leddy is not offensive enough D man to make up for his total lack of physicality-----criminy even the Bowman's get that. Rundblad is just like him without the experience and perhaps a little more size to compensate. Buffalo or Dallas got to be chomping at the bit to get Leddy to get a puck moving d-man. Love this trade.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Leddy is not offensive enough D man to make up for his total lack of physicality-----criminy even the Bowman's get that. Rundblad is just like him without the experience and perhaps a little more size to compensate. Buffalo or Dallas got to be chomping at the bit to get Leddy to get a puck moving d-man. Love this trade.

Oduya would be moved before Leddy.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
xX Hot Fuss said:
I bet you $100 he doesn't make another move

At US to Canada exchange rates I think I am getting a pretty good "I told you so" celebration out of this.

:D

ploppsdman

Feb 5, 2004
Buffalo has a ton of picks and might be a good spot for Leddy; though Buffalo also has a lot of good defensive prospects. I think Leddy is gone at the draft. He was basically benched in the finals, is too small, and doesn't bring a ton of offensive skill to compensate for his defensive shortcomings.

Also, IF the 'hawks don't lose Stephen Johns, he could step right in next season and play a split role with Roszival. Stephen Johns is the next Brent Seabrook ... if they need to guarantee him a roster spot to get him to sign, they better do it.

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Why would Leddy be moved ahead of Oduya?

Because Leddy has more trade value and plays a lesser role on a team that wants to win now.

Not that I want to trade Leddy. I've always been one of his biggest fans.. but I would trade Leddy in a package to get Kesler and then you're only replacing your 5th best Dman at the moment, instead of your 4th.

And you're kidding yourself if you think Leddy is better than Oduya. He does some things better than Oduya. Oduya does some things better than Leddy.. but Oduya is definitely the better all-round Dman right now.

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Kesler - Kane
Regin - Shaw - Versteeg
Bollig - Kruger - Smith

Keith - Seabrook
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Rundblad - Rozsival

PP units:

Shaw - Toews - Hossa
Keith - Sharp

Saad - Kesler - Kane
Rundblad - Seabrook

Then next year:

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Kesler - Kane
Versteeg - Shaw - Teravainen
Bollig - Kruger - Smith

Keith - Seabrook
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Rundblad - Rozsival/Dahlbeck

Teravainen - Toews - Hossa
Keith - Sharp

Saad - Kesler - Kane
Rundblad - Seabrook

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't see anything about Leddy or Oduya in the works.

Neither of them are in urgent need of going anywhere. All we did with this trade was buy low on a young player with huge potential. I'd be stunned if it meant anything more than that. The Hawks already have a great roster and a GM who's got a track record of not making huge deadline moves.

We're done for this trade deadline.

I think so too. And we don't really have what the Canucks are looking for re Kesler. As part of the deal they're apparently looking for a young NHL ready centre (amongst other things). We don't really have that...and Shaw isn't the guy. Trading Kesler leaves them with a hole they need to fill.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think Oduya plays his role better than Leddy would and is more important to our post season success. Him and Hammer eat the hardest minutes on the team, and are a big reason why Keith has looked as good as he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad