Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I feel the same, there was clearly something that turned Habs off....

But yea talent is undeniable.

Probably that creepy psychologist the Habs use told them not to pick Michkov. Maybe he asked him 'if you were a wheelbarrow, would you rather be used to haul horse poop or dog poop' and Michkov said 'dog poop'.
1726415194059.png

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I feel the same, there was clearly something that turned Habs off....

But yea talent is undeniable.
I think the rumor that came out the previous draft year that Montreal wouldn't be taking Russians had some truth to it. Not only did we not take any Russians that year but we traded our only Russian player away at the draft. Last year we were the only team in a while that didn't have a single Russian player in the NHL or AHL.

Obviously the Habs changed their attitude, but by the time Michkov came along it was too late to really sell him on the Habs. People say it is likely that Michkov didn't want to meet with us - if so that is a failure on management for turning a notoriously Russian-friendly city into a place he wouldn't consider.

Probably that creepy psychologist the Habs use told them not to pick Michkov. Maybe he asked him 'if you were a wheelbarrow, would you rather be used to haul horse poop or dog poop' and Michkov said 'dog poop'.
View attachment 907096
In all seriousness he probably asked him some BS about his dad dying and fighting in the russian army

Reactions: NORiculous and Habs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I don't think its that much about how Michkov turned the Habs brass off.

I think its more about top pair RHD scarcity and Reinbacher overall profile.

A 6ft4 RHD who skates like him, have his reach and his transition ability is a potential absolute homerun pick.

Chi just did it with Levshunov/Demidov.

Nemec above Cooley/Wright.

3RHD above any LD in 2024, and etc. Etc.

Team always overpay for those type, see Hall vs Larsson.

See TML with Tanev who was a huge necessity.

Our own prospect pool is an evideence of this.

An abundance of top LHD with various interesting profile. 3 RHD one we had because of legal shits, the other one top 5 and one who is not looking so hot right now(barron).

Reinbacher is extremely underappreciated and may be one of our highest paid player in not too long.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I don't think Hughes and Gorton ever doubted his talent, there clearly was something that they knew about that told them that he was not right for the culture of this team.
The fact that by not picking him (Michkov), the team was going down an unsustainable model to compete continuously; was a huge huge risk. Much bigger risk then the risk of Michkov not coming to the NHL.

But I can understand if after some debate they went with the “safer” pick. Slaf had not yet shown anything and having your two 1st pick bust would probably not be very favourable… It was still a mistake but an understandably human one.

Them being unanimous about it is where I have a major problem. It show lack of different visions, that are needed when building a successful team, to cover the blind spots.

If we think about the winning models of the past 20+ years, they all have 2 or 3 superstars. At the time, Habs had no one apparent and the team was on verge of progressing in the standings, making a top pick become less and less likely. (Can you really plan a season ending injury by Dach, etc. )

Reinbacher will be a good player though. He will be very useful. Hughes said he has a #2 D ceiling. He will be an important player but he isn’t the player that changes the model in which the Habs were in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I think the rumor that came out the previous draft year that Montreal wouldn't be taking Russians had some truth to it. Not only did we not take any Russians that year but we traded our only Russian player away at the draft. Last year we were the only team in a while that didn't have a single Russian player in the NHL or AHL.

Obviously the Habs changed their attitude, but by the time Michkov came along it was too late to really sell him on the Habs. People say it is likely that Michkov didn't want to meet with us - if so that is a failure on management for turning a notoriously Russian-friendly city into a place he wouldn't consider.

In all seriousness he probably asked him some BS about his dad dying and fighting in the russian army
If that's the case I don't necessarily fault them for that. Molson makes a shit ton of money so I'm sure he has some sort of pulse on future of Russia/North America political situation. It's possible he thought things would only get worse so advised his brass against picking any Russians. BUT clearly doesn't seem to be the case anymore since we just picked demidov.

I also think there was some character concerns as well. Concerns that had nothing to do with Russia.

Reactions: cphabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The fact that by not picking him (Michkov), the team was going down an unsustainable model to compete continuously; was a huge huge risk. Much bigger risk then the risk of Michkov not coming to the NHL.

But I can understand if after some debate they went with the “safer” pick. Slaf had not yet shown anything and having your two 1st pick bust would probably not be very favourable… It was still a mistake but an understandably human one.

Them being unanimous about it is where I have a major problem. It show lack of different visions, that are needed when building a successful team, to cover the blind spots.

If we think about the winning models of the past 20+ years, they all have 2 or 3 superstars. At the time, Habs had no one apparent and the team was on verge of progressing in the standings, making a top pick become less and less likely. (Can you really plan a season ending injury by Dach, etc. )

Reinbacher will be a good player though. He will be very useful. Hughes said he has a #2 D ceiling. He will be an important player but he isn’t the player that changes the model in which the Habs were in.

You are simply not understanding the reason for the pick. This team is being built with culture being a non negotiable axiom and they clearly felt that Michkov was a problem. This is a consistently underrated feature of team building that the average fan just can't seem to grasp.

As it turns out we need Reinbacher more than Michkov anyways as we have a ton of talent at forward and Reinbacher is our top RHD prospect. Nobody on this board has the hockey acumen of Hughes or Gorton and the fact that Reinbacher over Michkov was unanimous should signal that you do not know enough to make the assertion that you are making.

Maybe Michkov ends up as the better asset, nobody knows the answer to that yet but clearly he represented a risk that HuGo were not willing to take and for reasons that you and I are not privy to.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I don't think its that much about how Michkov turned the Habs brass off.

I think its more about top pair RHD scarcity and Reinbacher overall profile.

A 6ft4 RHD who skates like him, have his reach and his transition ability is a potential absolute homerun pick.

Chi just did it with Levshunov/Demidov.

Nemec above Cooley/Wright.

3RHD above any LD in 2024, and etc. Etc.

Team always overpay for those type, see Hall vs Larsson.

See TML with Tanev who was a huge necessity.

Our own prospect pool is an evideence of this.

An abundance of top LHD with various interesting profile. 3 RHD one we had because of legal shits, the other one top 5 and one who is not looking so hot right now(barron).

Reinbacher is extremely underappreciated and may be one of our highest paid player in not too long.
I agree with your assessment of RHD value however I would not dismiss Barron. He looked good at times but still needs work...he is 22! Barron, Mailloux and Reinbacher is a good lineup!

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Oh wow - plays a pretty damn f***ing good game today.

Was solid and efficient in game 1, played with more puck confidence today while showing off all the other valuable things that make him a premium asset.

Everybody wants the sizzling steak, but a good steak is supported by the veg.

Played like a general today. Rock solid.

The perfect partner for stellar Hutson.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
As it turns out we need Reinbacher more than Michkov anyways as we have a ton of talent at forward and Reinbacher is our top RHD prospect.
Hard disagree on your assessment. We need top end offensive talent more than dmen at this point, and Mailloux is our top RHD prospect in terms of potential.

(And for the record I don't care for Michkov, and I'm happy we have Reinbacher. But I'd prefer another Demidov to Reinbacher, today, on this team).

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Hard disagree on your assessment. We need top end offensive talent more than dmen at this point, and Mailloux is our top RHD prospect in terms of potential.

(And for the record I don't care for Michkov, and I'm happy we have Reinbacher. But I'd prefer another Demidov to Reinbacher, today, on this team)
Mailloux is nowhere near the top RHD prospect. Reinbacher is already better and he is 2 years younger. They’re not close for me, If you don’t see the difference when both have the puck and without I wonder what you’re watching. Reinbacher is smarter and calmer.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Oh wow - plays a pretty damn f***ing good game today.

Was solid and efficient in game 1, played with more puck confidence today while showing off all the other valuable things that make him a premium asset.

Everybody wants the sizzling steak, but a good steak is supported by the veg.
Thing is, I have eaten just a steak before, I never eaten just the veg... ;)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

(And for the record I don't care for Michkov, and I'm happy we have Reinbacher. But I'd prefer another Demidov to Reinbacher, today, on this team).

With the addition of Demidov our top six is completely filled out with legitimate top six forwards, all of whom have ppg+ potential. That is without mentioning Roy, Hage, Beck, Kapanen etc.

RD would be our weakest position without Reinbacher by a mile, so yes Reinbacher ultimately is inarguably filling a greater organizational need at this point in time.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Mailloux is nowhere near the top RHD prospect. Reinbacher is already better and he is 2 years younger. They’re not close for me, If you don’t see the difference when both have the puck and without I wonder what you’re watching. Reinbacher is smarter and calmer.
Smarter and calmer, sure, but nowhere near the potential for offense.

Reinbacher is the perfect partner for Hutson, who will run their duo. Mailloux will run his, IMO

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thing is, I have eaten just a steak before, I never eaten just the veg... ;)
Thing is, just the steak has the potential to give you a heart attack (like watching a D be out of position ) where as a modest veg will keep that heart rate down (like a D that’s responsible and efficient)

;)

Btw, love Mailloux and his potential, he can do it all

Reactions: Redux91

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Reinbacher is the perfect partner for Hutson, who will run their duo. Mailloux will run his, IMO
I like the Mailloux Hutson pairing. In a couple of years (which is when a defenseman should start sniffing the nhl, really) I imagine a Guhle - Reinbacher as a real 2-way D pairing eating most minutes, and then Hutson Mailloux get more minutes on special teams and in offensive roles. Anyhoot lots of pairing available eventually.

Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Reinbacher is better in every aspect of the game other than his shot and he has a decent shot. He is going to get more points than Mailloux in transition as well as being a better playmaker. Mailloux will get more PP time because of his shot and may very well end up with more points but he is not in the same league as Reinbacher from an IQ standpoint. Reinbacher is better than Mailooux at the top of the offensive zone as a facilitator due to his superior edge work and higher IQ. In the Dzone Reinbacher is already far superior despite being two years younger and I don't see Mailloux closing that gap.

If Hughes was forced to drop one of them in a hypothetical scenario it would be Mailloux in an instant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad