Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yup , in terms of upside Parehk obviously stands out but none of the guys I listed have the defensive tools he does (reinbacher)

It's just funny that people continue to undervalue what is valued by teams and coaching staffs.

Nemec went 2 ahead of Cooley and Wright.
Levshunov went 2 ahead of Demidov, Lindstrom, etc.
Reinbacher went 5 ahead of Michkov and Leonard.

It's hard to find toolsy RD.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's the same story. A bad D+1 and vibes are making him in a bust for some posters, while they completely ignore all the attributes that will easily make him a top 2...
If anything we should learn from our past experience with McDonagh that trading away a top prospect with a dissapointing year is the worst decision you can ever make.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's just funny that people continue to undervalue what is valued by teams and coaching staffs.

In retrospect I am glad they picked a 6'4 RD with mobility and solid defensive accumen.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When Moritz Seider was picked many folks scratched their heads at Yzerman. If Reinbacher becomes close to Seider I will be ecstatic.

I wouldn't expect the same offense, Seider has some shooting tools that Reinbacher simply doesn't have but that's fine, Mailloux has the shot tool and we have Hutson to do all the other offensive coordination.

Reinbacher has enough offensive tools to keep things moving forward for the forward group to make plays and that's all you need from someone with his upside defensively. The poise and first pass out of the zone is often the most important part of offense and that's why Markov was so valuable. Obviously Reinbacher won't be Markov, but the kid is really really good at identifying the option and making that option work.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

May i add.

Where were Benson, Catton, Caufield, Jarvis picked?

These small offensive winger always fall and are always available with lesser picks whereas top pair RD are seldomly available and when they are its usually a top 5 pick.

Also, what value do these guys hold if they don't reach stardom? --none--

What values does RHD hold even if they fail to meet expectations?

EDM paid Hall for Larsson.

CHI paid a boatload for Seth Jones both in terms of contracts and assets.

It never was about Michkov character or contract.

It was always all about Reinbacher profile scarcity and potential.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
May i add.

These small offensive winger always fall and are always available with lesser picks whereas top pair RD are seldomly available and when they are its usually a top 5 pick.

Its not even about Michkov character or contracts.

Exactly and just look at what Buffalo had to do with Savoie.. traded for a 3rd liner.

They used an 8th overall pick on Savoie.. the value in the smaller guys if they don't develop perfectly isn't really there at all.

Teams look at how they can add the components needed to build a winning roster and the scarcity of Reinbacher is higher than the scarcity of a Michkov, not to take anything away from Michkov because he's a hell of a talent but we literally got Demidov a year later.. and Ryabkin is available this year.

The Habs correctly identified that Reinbacher would be a harder piece to get and they should get that piece now that he was available to them.. and it paid off handsomely by getting Demidov who is arguably a better fit for what they need, literally a year later.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I still don't get why people are questioning what was determined behind closed doors.
There is no way our group didn't understand the O potential Michkov has/had.
There is also no way they passed on him if they thought he would be a good fit for our team.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Reinbacher and the sooner people come to that understanding the better.
We are probably taking a Ryan Leonard type character before taking on a Michkov.
Getting a high end RD in any build is a foundational necessity.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
May i add.

It never was about Michkov character or contract.

Agree but at the end it's case per case. True a good RHD is valuable when he pans out like expected. This is something we can check out and the past and it was valuable helping winning SC. So even he pans out 50% or 75% expected, he's still valuable. Ok with the % it can be debatable.

But I beleive it wasn't just because of his position, they beleived in Reinbachers potential independant of position's importance. And on the other hand how they valued Michkov matters too.
The mix of size, learning ability, speed, caracter and hockey IQ all played in favor or Reinbachers pick at 5. Rumours said he was the pick of AZ and Flyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaynki

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
If DR can play with LH and cover for his deficiencies without issue, DR was well worth the pick. That gives us a dynamic second pairing.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think we got a really good one in Reinbacher. Moves very well, carries the puck with some poise, and has enough offensive vision to make some creative plays on, although just on occasion. Heads up player, scanning regularly.

I feel pretty confident he's going to be a steady minute-eater for years with the Habs.

Reactions: Jaynki

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

You might have felt Reinbacher looked disappointing over the weekend because he didn’t pop with any highlight-reel stuff. But if you’re expecting to see Reinbacher pop in a prospect game, you’re expecting him to do something he was not drafted to do and something he’s been specifically told not to do.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

Reinbacher is NOT Levshunov though , not even close. Nemec over Cooley & Wright still to be determined, Cooley looks like a stud so far.

Reactions: mdk

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
“The things I do on the ice, I can’t influence stuff out of the ice, you know what I mean? I just try to go on the ice, do my best. The things I can influence are on the ice, with and without the puck, and that’s what I try to do. The rest, I just leave it,” he said. “If the stuff from outside influences you, you’ll probably have a hard time. So just stick to yourself, believe in yourself and do the stuff you can do.”

Except that quote, even if he didn’t mean it this way, also applies to his game on the ice. Reinbacher’s strength as a player is his efficiency. When he’s at his best, he kills plays and makes sure the puck moves in the right direction without being flashy. It is a game rooted in simplicity, which the Canadiens had to remind him of last season when director of player development Rob Ramage made a visit to Kloten and showed Reinbacher video of Shea Weber to prove that simple can be highly effective.

“Simple plays, moving the puck fast, denying all the plays from the opponent, do the box outs, do the defensive part that is asked from the coaches and the staff,” Reinbacher said. “I’m just trying to do that.”

You might have felt Reinbacher looked disappointing over the weekend because he didn’t pop with any highlight-reel stuff. But if you’re expecting to see Reinbacher pop in a prospect game, you’re expecting him to do something he was not drafted to do and something he’s been specifically told not to do.

His strength to the Canadiens, the reason they drafted him so high, is his ability to make plays that specifically don’t pop but that lead to his team playing on offence more and on defence less. It’s the accumulation of good decisions and good actions over time that make him pop. None of the individual decisions necessarily do, but collectively they help a team win.

By understanding and accepting that at such a young age, Reinbacher is showing tremendous growth.

- Arpon Basu

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How many Michigan State games do you watch?

I bet if he played here you'd be calling him Bustshunov at every available opportunity.

Yeah, the negatives on Levshunov is that the hockey IQ is suspect and his defensive game needs a lot of refinement. He has been late to hockey, he's a great character, physical tools are great and he has offense in his game that Reinbacher doesn't.

Regardless, we were never getting a chance to draft Levshunov but we got Demidov. We had a chance to take Reinbacher and took it, as every team trying to get to 5 in that draft was also looking to do.

We got Reinbacher and improved the right side of our D and got a player profile we desperately needed and a year later got the dynamic offensive talent that fills a bigger need than Michkov did based on our build.

Things went to plan.

It's time to get the f*** over it.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
How many Michigan State games do you watch?

I bet if he played here you'd be calling him Bustshunov at every available opportunity.

Meh, watched a half dozen. I would have never taken him over Demidov, not in a million years. Would take him over Reinbacher 10/10 times though, and I'm don't think I'm alone

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad