Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope that for Mailloux, Hutson, & RB, the Habs take an NHL "top 4" (overall ice time) or AHL approach.

For Hutson, that could mean 3rd pair es but with PP1 minutes. For the other 3, it probably means earning top 4 ES role. Until they are ready to take that and run with it, seems like prominent role in AHL would be better.

That said, they took a different approach with Slaf and it worked out beautifully. Good reason to trust that they will find the right balance.

If Hutson makes the team, it's going to be really interesting to see where they use him on the pp.

The 2nd unit should be a lot better, because it will have one of Dach, Caufield, Matheson, and Hutson, plus Newhook, and hopefully Roy.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Hutson makes the team, it's going to be really interesting to see where they use him on the pp.

The 2nd unit should be a lot better, because it will have one of Dach, Caufield, Matheson, and Hutson, plus Newhook, and hopefully Roy.
I have zero doubt Hutson will become PP QB by US Thanksgiving at the latest reducing Matheson’s PP usage to PP2 allowing load allocation for 5-on-5, PK and late period / game situations

Matheson is best suited to play 20-21 TOI not 24-25

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I have zero doubt Hutson will become PP QB by US Thanksgiving at the latest reducing Matheson’s PP usage to PP2 allowing load allocation for 5-on-5, PK and late period / game situations

Matheson is best suited to play 20-21 TOI not 24-25

Agreed, they’ll give it to Matheson out of respect for the season he had last year and to give Hutson some time to adjust but when the PP inevitably becomes stale they’ll give Hutson a shot and they won’t look back

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Agreed, they’ll give it to Matheson out of respect for the season he had last year and to give Hutson some time to adjust but when the PP inevitably becomes stale they’ll give Hutson a shot and they won’t look back
unclear… msl puts players in a position to win; and I think that’s 5v5 for Matheson. Exploit the skating and athleticism, not the decision making.

Hutson is the pp1 guy I would think moment he makes the team. Habs will need the breaking in, not him lol.

Reactions: Gally11

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Will be very interesting to see if we have the ability to move any Dmen prior to training camp. Without doing so it pretty guarantee Reinman another year in Laval, which isn't the worst thing that could happen. At least start the year there and see how the season unfolds.

Hopefully they keep Matty on PP1 so he can keep his trade stock up until we move him later this year. Put Bones on PP2 until it's his time to run PP1 for the foreseeable future.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
unclear… msl puts players in a position to win; and I think that’s 5v5 for Matheson. Exploit the skating and athleticism, not the decision making.

Hutson is the pp1 guy I would think moment he makes the team. Habs will need the breaking in, not him lol.

Matheson was the 8th most productive dman on the pp last season. He was also used on pp1 when Hutson played those 2 nhl games.

Matheson is definitely starting on the first unit. When pp1 starts struggling, thats likely when Hutson will be given a shot there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reinbacher, Guhle, Struble, Hutson, Mailloux are all exempt from waivers. Barron, Harris and I believe X require clearing waivers.
Don’t think the guys like Harris and Barron who need to clear waivers fetch much in trade. If they can’t lock in a spot for Montreal most teams are not giving up much for them.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What impressed me about Mailloux was how well his defensive game improved from game 1 to game 72. Very promising
It was really the only concern for him; His hideous D at times in junior.

If that got dealt with he was gonna be a huge net positive for us. Looks like he’s made real strides there.

Our projected top 4 all have parts of their game that our 1 D projectable. Such an evil blueline they’re gonna make up

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

If that got dealt with he was gonna be a huge net positive for us. Looks like he’s made real strides there.

Our projected top 4 all have parts of their game that our 1 D projectable. Such an evil blueline they’re gonna make up
It's still a work in progress but you can see his commitment and that management really made it a priority.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Rob Ramage said he showed Reinbacher footage of Shea Weber playing defense. Positioning, zone exits, using his reach, keeping his game simple. Over in Europe last season he had 3 different coaches. All Playing a different style. Got into Reinbacher head, mixed him up. When he got to Laval better defense man.
Yeah his main issue in Laval was allowing far too many players getting behind him it was an issue in the Swiss league too.
His strong attributes IMO were always going to be his puck movement and gap control but the play came back at him a bit faster than he expected. :laugh:
I really looking forward to see how we've worked on correcting that because it was all about little positioning errors that can be easily fixed.
He has all the attributes necessary to keep the game in front of him once he's more comfortable with the play style.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

If our RD all come to realize they are BIG for a reason (Not you David) and use their frames to win one on ones we have three very versatile defenders who can all move the puck the other way in a hurry. I talked a lot about Barron Crumpling players towards the end of his stint in Laval.
Big frame checking without going overboard while stopping players in their tracks and turning the puck back up the ice.
When he wasn't able to find a team mate the play was quick enough to clear the zone which is something we struggle with in Montreal.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah his main issue in Laval was allowing far too many players getting behind him it was an issue in the Swiss league too.
His strong attributes IMO were always going to be his puck movement and gap control but the play came back at him a bit faster than he expected. :laugh:
I really looking forward to see how we've worked on correcting that because it was all about little positioning errors that can be easily fixed.
He has all the attributes necessary to keep the game in front of him once he's more comfortable with the play style.
Yea I believe we’ve shared this criticism of him a few times. And it is odd since his defensive profile is very strong. It just seems to be that one thing. The most glaring thing to me anyways.
If our RD all come to realize they are BIG for a reason (Not you David) and use their frames to win one on ones we have three very versatile defenders who can all move the puck the other way in a hurry. I talked a lot about Barron Crumpling players towards the end of his stint in Laval.
Big frame checking without going overboard while stopping players in their tracks and turning the puck back up the ice.
When he wasn't able to find a team mate the play was quick enough to clear the zone which is something we struggle at in Montreal.
That’s interesting about Barron. Would be amazing if he starts to turn it around. Wouldn’t be the first time a kid took a couple years to put it together while a big portion of fans swear up and down the player will always be garbage.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Will be very interesting to see if we have the ability to move any Dmen prior to training camp. Without doing so it pretty guarantee Reinman another year in Laval, which isn't the worst thing that could happen. At least start the year there and see how the season unfolds.

Hopefully they keep Matty on PP1 so he can keep his trade stock up until we move him later this year. Put Bones on PP2 until it's his time to run PP1 for the foreseeable future.
i'd be happy with Reinbacher starting the year in AHL unless he wows everyone in camp. I'd say if anything he and Mailloux will be looking for the 3rd pairing RHD with added PP2 minutes. If not, he should become the #1 D in Laval which is not a bad thing either - extra reps on the smaller rink.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
He is like Slaf that when he and Slaf have physically matured...look out. Both will be an absolute handful. Mailloux may have been drafted 31st but he is a top 10 talent
I kinda see Mailloux similar to Connelly.. both dropped considerably wirh questionable off ice distractions.

It's taken a long while, but Mailloux has definately earned his way onto the Habs, and in many respects his reputation back..

With Connelly i dont think his "character" is fixable.. but hopefully he can turn it around like Mailloux did. Both were def top 10 talent.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I see Reinbacher similar to Seider.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Hate him or maestro him, that was a ballsy move by MB. Looking like a grand slam atm
In hindsight, i don't think this was a "grand slam" at #30oa, more like a ground rule double. If the backlash was predicted (it wasn't) the main reason MB had to reach was bc he was god awful at drafting and developing talent.

Ad

Ad

Ad