Recalled/Assigned: David Reinbacher Assigned to the Laval Rocket

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Mysak learned what Norlinder is living.. if Houle decides he doesn't like you, there's nothing you can do.

It's fine, we can handle the loss of Norlinder, years ago we couldn't.. but hard to know how things would have played out if MB and Houle had handled him differently.
He also seemed to be the type of player that if things got tough, he crumbled mentally and we don't want that in our organization. He had a great camp, didn't make the team and then checked out. Unfortunate but whatever

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And now we're playing Ghule at RD
Loved Guhle's goal last night on the LEFT side. I've always said this is our most responsible Dman when jumping into open ice.
The reason is he's always cognizant of what a bad turnover in the slot can mean.
Not like some of the Banzai Attacks we see from other Dmen we won't mention.

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs and Habs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He also seemed to be the type of player that if things got tough, he crumbled mentally and we don't want that in our organization. He had a great camp, didn't make the team and then checked out. Unfortunate but whatever

Yeah, it's a total whatever - it hasn't worked out, we won't know if things were any different but we can absorb a prospect like Norlinder not working out now where we couldn't before.. and we should see a new coach in for Houle after his contract expires

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Mysak learned what Norlinder is living.. if Houle decides he doesn't like you, there's nothing you can do.

It's fine, we can handle the loss of Norlinder, years ago we couldn't.. but hard to know how things would have played out if MB and Houle had handled him differently.
Oh please always the coaches fault…. it’s on the individual to man up & take personal responsibility for THEIR career.

Houle didn’t derail Xhekaj, Struble, Mailloux, Roy etc

Is Barron also Houle’s fault?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

He hasn't done himself any favours this year but I wasn't a fan of calling him up just to sit in the press box midseason, wish they got him into a couple games over Lindstrom. I feel like that was a pretty clear statement that they were done with him

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not even faulty evaluations … the entire concept of drafting 18-year old amateur players is a crapshoot to begin with except for the Crosby, McDavid’s of the world which an orangutan pick out
I don't think it's just one or the other though. He was passed on the depth chart like 3 or 4 times over by the time he came to North America and just became not a priority. Hasn't really done much of anything himself but he's been jerked around at times

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Easier to blame faulty development than for HF posters to admit faulty prospect evaluations, I guess.

Not sure how someone can say this with a straight face seeing the total 180 we've done in a few years since Bergevin left.

He hasn't done himself any favours this year but I wasn't a fan of calling him up just to sit in the press box midseason, wish they got him into a couple games over Lindstrom. I feel like that was a pretty clear statement that they were done with him

No, just like Ylonen in the NHL - he hasn't forced any hands since his camp this year. Liked the prospect, had some hopes, didn't like how MB-Houle handled him, and he hasn't really blown the doors off with the opportunities he has gotten and is being passed by many on the depth chart.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not sure how someone can say this with a straight face seeing the total 180 we've done in a few years since Bergevin left.

No, just like Ylonen in the NHL - he hasn't forced any hands since his camp this year. Liked the prospect, had some hopes, didn't like how MB-Houle handled him, and he hasn't really blown the doors off with the opportunities he has gotten and is being passed by many on the depth chart.
Not too long ago, the stalled development of Norlinder would have been nearly catastrophic for this fanbase.

Now, not so much...but I admit I had higher hopes for him, thought he had turned a corner during camp.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Not too long ago, the stalled development of Norlinder would have been nearly catastrophic for this fanbase.

Now, not so much...but I admit I had higher hopes for him, thought he had turned a corner during camp.
And he still might … just at a later age based on mental / emotional maturation PERHAPS aligning, who knows … that’s the whole crapshoot aspect

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

What does this even mean? He's been our prospect for 5 years. We needed him 3 years ago but he sucked then too and instead we went to the cup final without him, Norlinder busting wasn't catastrophic then either

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yeah, that trade is not looking good. Lehkonen is a player that would have helped up until his mid 30s. Barron has shown good things at times, but there are moments where he seems to break mentally and get into a downward spiral of mistakes.

At this point I'll be content if Barron can be traded for a second. He may recover, but he did not adequately progress this year and the competition is fierce.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What does this even mean? He's been our prospect for 5 years. We needed him 3 years ago but he sucked then too and instead we went to the cup final without him, Norlinder busting wasn't catastrophic then either
3 years ago he was still playing in Europe and our expectations were much higher and our hopes much more dependent than they are today.

And to be precise, I wrote "nearly catastrophic".

3 years ago, there was no

Arber Xhekaj, Logan Mailloux, David Reinbacher, Adam Engstrom, Bogdan K,, etc,

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

o521dQ2.gif

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
3 years ago he was still playing in Europe and our expectations were much higher and our hopes much more dependent than they are today.

And to be precise, I wrote "nearly catastrophic".

3 years ago, there was no

Arber Xhekaj, Logan Mailloux, David Reinbacher, Adam Engstrom, Bogdan K,, etc,
Just a tough concept for me to wrap my head around.

It would be a near catastrophe if we were in the place we were years ago and he busted? Isn't that exactly what happened?

There's so many variables involved in a claim like that it doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just a tough concept for me to wrap my head around.

It would be a near catastrophe if we were in the place we were years ago and he busted? Isn't that exactly what happened?

There's so many variables involved in a claim like that it doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not sure if you're understanding what i'm saying.

3 years ago, Norlinder wasn't a bust...he was arguably our top defensive prospects and we were all excited at him coming to North America after developing in Frolunda.

Since then, the Montreal Canadiens have improved their organizational depth in terms of prospect Dman considerably, to the point where today, if Norlinder goes back to Europe this offseason, no one will bat an eye.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm not sure if you're understanding what i'm saying.

3 years ago, Norlinder wasn't a bust...he was arguably our top defensive prospects and we were all excited at him coming to North America after developing in Frolunda.

Since then, the Montreal Canadiens have improved their organizational depth in terms of prospect Dman considerably, to the point where today, if Norlinder goes back to Europe this offseason, no one will bat an eye.
We already had Guhle, Romanov, Mailloux, Struble, Harris, Xhekaj at that point. An undersized LHD from the 3rd round was never going to be critical either way. The only players Hughes added were Reinbacher, Barron and Hutson, which was good because we needed RHD and an OFD

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Yeah, that trade is not looking good. Lehkonen is a player that would have helped up until his mid 30s. Barron has shown good things at times, but there are moments where he seems to break mentally and get into a downward spiral of mistakes.

How is that trade not looking good? That narrative is so asinine. The expectation when trading Lekky was to get a 2nd. Other fan bases were calling us foolish for expecting a 2nd. Not only did KH got a 2nd, he got Barron as a bonus.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We already had Guhle, Romanov, Mailloux, Struble, Harris, Xhekaj at that point. An undersized LHD from the 3rd round was never going to be critical either way. The only players Hughes added were Reinbacher, Barron and Hutson, which was good because we needed RHD and an OFD
Guhle yes, Romanov too but he was already In the NHL, Mailloux had just been drafted and I won’t remind you of what many thought of that pick at the time, but most weren’t as high on him (for various reason) as they are today and he certainly wasn’t having the kind of season in the CHL, that he’s having in the AHL this year.

Struble? If anyone would have said Jayden Struble would be an NHL Dman 3 years by the year 2024, no one would have believed you.

Xhekaj was very much an unknown…same with Harris and no one thought his upside was near Norlinder’s.

You’re right that an undersized LHD shouldn’t have been critical either way…but at the time, he was.

That says more about the state of this franchise at the time compared to now, than it does Norlinder.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Interesting that Galupeau and Bisson are ahead of Norlinder on the depth chart.
He generally has sucked, that’s why. Bisson has been very good.

Norlinder sucks and was overhyped. Nothing to do with Houle at all. He’s had plenty of ice time and generally does nothing with it. He’s simply been passed on the depth chart. I watch every Laval game.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Guhle yes, Romanov too but he was already In the NHL, Mailloux had just been drafted and I won’t remind you of what many thought of that pick at the time, but most weren’t as high on him (for various reason) as they are today and he certainly wasn’t having the kind of season in the CHL, that he’s having in the AHL this year.

Struble? If anyone would have said Jayden Struble would be an NHL Dman 3 years by the year 2024, no one would have believed you.

Xhekaj was very much an unknown…same with Harris and no one thought his upside was near Norlinder’s.

You’re right that an undersized LHD shouldn’t have been critical either way…but at the time, he was.

That says more about the state of this franchise at the time compared to now, than it does Norlinder.
But he did fail and we averted near catastrophe because of what we already had in the system, regardless of if we knew it at the time, we were fully insulated. That point can't be debated.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Again, 3 years ago, this was not the story.

He had just crossed over from Europe. He hadn’t failed.
So this is taking place in an alternate universe where we drafted him 3 years earlier and he busted 3 years earlier?

I think that's what was difficult for me to understand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad