Player Discussion David Pastrnak X

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I always said he would sign for 6.75 per. Sweeney got him just under that. Great job by Don and the term is just right imo.

Now go get Duchene!

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Hell of a deal imo. Deals like this help good teams stay good or become great over a long period of time.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Good job by sweeney. Good cap number, hopefully lockout protection to annoy JJ. Now all Sweeney needs to do is get a 2nd line lw, some tough forwards, a 3rd line center and back up goalie.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Somebody had to cave if its true Barry wanted 8.5 and Sweeney wanted closer to Marchand and Bergeron money. That's a wide gap

I agree. I said all along I'd hold off judgment and ultimately it looks like they came to a reasonable conclusion here.

The other thing is that even with a signed deal we don't know how both sides feel about it right? They say the best deals are ones neither side loves, but sometimes one side really hates it and goes along with it. So maybe we applaud Sweeney today but the residue of this deal means Pasta is gone in 6 years or sooner...who knows?

So you're 100% right. We don't know who caved or who played hard ball or how either side feels. Ultimately we look at the term and I think we all agree this is about as good as we could have hoped for, save for maybe a few more years. I tip my cap to Sweeney here.

I have a feeling that Pasta's side got some incentives to come in below $7m AAV. We will have to wait until the details are published. Also, Pasta will only be 27/28 when deal expires and will get another big payday then.

Both sides should be relatively happy.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There was every reason to be pessimistic about the Bruins dealings with Pastrnak, given their past terrible history of trading away their best young offensive players and getting terrible returns. See Seguin, Taylor. :eek:

I'm thankful that things finally got resolved with the bottom line, Pastrnak stays with the Boston Bruins. We can all breath a deep sigh of relief for now!

:handclap: Well done Don Sweeney! You didn't mess up the biggest deal that needed to be done this offseason. This goes down as a big win for Sweeney.

I disagree about the pessimism part.

The last 3 high pressure situations Seeeney was involved in (before Pasta) were: Vesey, Marchand, and Bjork. He got two of the three done and Vesey was a different animal, not being B's property. Based on DS getting it done with BM63 and Bjork, I had no doubt he would get Pasta inked.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yup. Market correction.

I don't see how people can view this deal as "market correction".

It's a 6-year deal, not 8. He got market value for that amount of term. Maybe a little bit below market but not by much.

I don't see how it can be compared to the 8-year deal Draisitl signed. Apples to oranges with the term difference.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Little disappointed they couldn't agree on a longer term and more avv

Overall happy it's over with

Actually, I think it's better at 6, that way he comes up younger for his big contract (if he lives up to his talent) and an 8 year would take him to 34, not 36 where he would really fall off

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

It's a 6-year deal, not 8. He got market value for that amount of term. Maybe a little bit below market but not by much.

I don't see how it can be compared to the 8-year deal Draisitl signed. Apples to oranges with the term difference.

Draisaitl was overpayment, regardless of term.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

It's not a market correction any more than Draisaitl was a market redefinition.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
This signing really makes my day, glad to have Pasta on board for the next 6 years at a very fair price. If we stay healthy and some the kids reach their potential this season Bjork, deBrusk, Heinen etc. this could be a really fun team to watch.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think folks are already eating crow on this.

It's delicious for lunch, I just set BBQ on 375, plucked the ugly bird, removed beak and added a little salt and pepper!
I expected somewhere between $7-$7.25. Not sure about bonuses etc but this keeps DP engaged mentally and happy as he ever was. WIN/WIN!!:handclap::handclap:

I agree. I said all along I'd hold off judgment and ultimately it looks like they came to a reasonable conclusion here.

The other thing is that even with a signed deal we don't know how both sides feel about it right? They say the best deals are ones neither side loves, but sometimes one side really hates it and goes along with it. So maybe we applaud Sweeney today but the residue of this deal means Pasta is gone in 6 years or sooner...who knows?

So you're 100% right. We don't know who caved or who played hard ball or how either side feels. Ultimately we look at the term and I think we all agree this is about as good as we could have hoped for, save for maybe a few more years. I tip my cap to Sweeney here.

Here's one for Donnie Sweeney!:cheers: Wonderful Job!

THIS^^^^^^^ It's great that this got done. On 98.5 yesterday F&M said that Pasta
"is still in the Czech Republic" if he was he was only a 7 hour plane ride away but they were assuming that he was going to be sitting in a bar drinking beers while his agent screwed up his career in Russia.
It's so nice to see so many wrong!
WELCOME BACK PASTA!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Im not going to say I told you so. I'm not going to say I told you so. I'm not going to say I told you so.

<dunks>

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Not a bad deal at all. I think the price was pretty much expected after it came out yesterday that Pastrnak's camp was looking for $7.5M. I wish they bumped it up to $7M or more to get it to 8 years, but it'll do.

Definitely interested to see what the salary structure turns out to be.

edit - and there it is; they did go the route of dropping the total salary in the lockout years as protection. That was tough to do with a 6 year deal and have it not be frontloaded to the point of being illegal, so kudos to them for pulling it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad