Player Discussion David Pastrnak X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I would say 100% positive this is Pasta caving in just to play hockey. Agent deals with money, but at some point they have to answer to the player. As we have learned he just absolutely loves the game and playing with his teammates. I think that is more important to him than money.

This is smart move by Don, and I exactly mentioned this same scenario playing out earlier in this thread.

:handclap:

I don't think this is true, although I will admit I cannot confirm either way. My opinion is that both sides knew they were going to meet somewhere in the middle, but the true negotiation was the bonuses and guaranteed money in the event of a lockout. My gut tells me DP/Barry moved off their number, and closer to Don's in order to secure the bonuses and guaranteed money. How much he got / what they negotiated for will be interesting to find out.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I think all the people who are saying this is Pasta caving or the B's playing hardball are wrong. This is just how negotiations work.

Barry was probably using Draisailtl's deal as his standard.

The B's were probably going Drouin, Hubes, Barkov.

They ended up settling on Gaudreau/Monahan, who are good comps.

Somebody had to cave if its true Barry wanted 8.5 and Sweeney wanted closer to Marchand and Bergeron money. That's a wide gap

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
There was every reason to be pessimistic about the Bruins dealings with Pastrnak, given their past terrible history of trading away their best young offensive players and getting terrible returns. See Seguin, Taylor. :eek:

I'm thankful that things finally got resolved with the bottom line, Pastrnak stays with the Boston Bruins. We can all breath a deep sigh of relief for now!

:handclap: Well done Don Sweeney! You didn't mess up the biggest deal that needed to be done this offseason. This goes down as a big win for Sweeney.

All the naysayers and armchair GM's who said how stupid and cheap Seeeney and the B's are can suck it.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
:shakeheadGlad Sweeney stuck to his guns. The comments around here were rediculous. "Just give him the money!!!" If it was up to most, he'd be getting 7.5 mil plus. Everyone critiques Chia for giving in easy but yet they want Sweeney to do the same.

Jani8

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Long time no post good to see you around here

Thanks, been lurking around every now and then but too busy to engage in "hockey talk". :laugh:

Really looking forward to this season and how the "kids", as in Bjork, Heinen, McAvoy etc perform. Plenty of reasons to be excited about the future of the team!

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I don't think this is true, although I will admit I cannot confirm either way. My opinion is that both sides knew they were going to meet somewhere in the middle, but the true negotiation was the bonuses and guaranteed money in the event of a lockout. My gut tells me DP/Barry moved off their number, and closer to Don's in order to secure the bonuses and guaranteed money. How much he got / what they negotiated for will be interesting to find out.

You could be right, I could be right. I just find it funny first day of camp and its now done. Its either Pasta didn't want to fall behind the 8 ball, or Sweeney didn't want Pasta to fall behind either.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Barry would have been a fool to not bring up the Drisitl contract, and if he were my agent and didn't - I would have fired him.

Great to see a fair deal for both sides.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
:shakeheadGlad Sweeney stuck to his guns. The comments around here were rediculous. "Just give him the money!!!" If it was up to most, he'd be getting 7.5 mil plus. Everyone critiques Chia for giving in easy but yet they want Sweeney to do the same.

And that is precisely why we all do what we do and guys like Don Sweeney does what he does! ;) Some GMs are just better negotiators than others and Sweeney proved that here. Glad Sweeney got this done at that number. Fantastic signing!

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Awesome deal - another great re-signing by Sweeney, one thing he has really been great at here.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
man I am absolutely thrilled about this. Woke up feeling crappy today and this has definitely lifted my spirits. So excited for camp now.

now enough about this money BS and let's all get excited for the battle for that LW spot with Krejci & Pasta

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
so if there was any doubt left, this should totally put to rest the idea that Sweeney was at fault for not signing Hamilton. If Dougie wanted to be in Boston then Sweeney & Barry would have reached a deal.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think all the people who are saying this is Pasta caving or the B's playing hardball are wrong. This is just how negotiations work.

Barry was probably using Draisailtl's deal as his standard.

The B's were probably going Drouin, Hubes, Barkov.

They ended up settling on Gaudreau/Monahan, who are good comps.

I agree. I said all along I'd hold off judgment and ultimately it looks like they came to a reasonable conclusion here.

The other thing is that even with a signed deal we don't know how both sides feel about it right? They say the best deals are ones neither side loves, but sometimes one side really hates it and goes along with it. So maybe we applaud Sweeney today but the residue of this deal means Pasta is gone in 6 years or sooner...who knows?

So you're 100% right. We don't know who caved or who played hard ball or how either side feels. Ultimately we look at the term and I think we all agree this is about as good as we could have hoped for, save for maybe a few more years. I tip my cap to Sweeney here.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
All the naysayers and armchair GM's who said how stupid and cheap Seeeney and the B's are can suck it.

aWEo0.gif

:laugh:

You would have thought that people would have learned their lessons after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth during the BM63 negotiations...

Yup. Market correction.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Good to see Sweeny getting a little love here for a terrific job. Head down, disciplined and no leaks on the details while it was unfolding. Secures another key piece for now and the future. The old adage of good things come to those who wait rings true. Thankfully the focus can now move to the watching the training camp unfold.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Its a good deal.

Im guessing Bs started at 6 as reported and Pasta was at about 8.

I don't believe anybody caved. Or actually don't have enough info yet.

What is the signing/bonus lockout aspect?
Who is paying for contract insurance?

there are other details that play into the overall value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad