Former Bruins David Krejci announces retirement.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
And would this be after having told the FO in may or June that he wants to play?

Or you’re ok with him sitting on his decision until this last possible day and then telling the team?

Maybe I missed the point or the joke, but I want him and bergy to tell Sweeney what’s up as soon as possible.

Tell them what’s up but then wait to sign.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Lots of power play points.
Krejci has 786 points in his career, 203 of them on the powerplay.

That's 25.8%.

For comparison here are the stats of someone who's a real powerplay point compiler:

Leon Draisaitl has 744 points in his career, 257 of them on the powerplay.

That's 34.5%

EDIT: Heres a few more examples: Ovechkin is at 37.2% with 553 PP points out of 1485. Brett Hull is at 38.5% (536 out of 1391), and Lemieux is at a whopping 40.6%! (701 out of 1723).

And Krejci should have been played a lot more on the powerplay than he ever was actually. He was rarely, if ever, played as a true 1st PP unit player.

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
considering their cap hits are very little. Sweeny can operate without rushing 46 and 37
“Can” operate, yeah, but it isn’t as good as knowing.

Love both players and the FO has been very accommodating in the past regarding timing of their decisions. Arguably that’s in part because they haven’t had significant alternative options.

Now one can argue they still don’t. Which leads me to this…if we hear the FO say “ we will wait as long as it takes for the two to make their decisions” then we know the FO is more than happy to defer change to the future

And If they do I’m not convinced it’s because they think they have a real shot to win, more so it may be a way to just not suck until such time that better cap space exists and quality replacement C is on the horizon thru FA, etc. Buying time.

How about this. Talk to players now, Resign both (although I am a proponent of moving on) with no NTC,NMC. See how year goes. If team not clicking as TDL approaches trade em for picks to contenders to give them a final shot at winning. Could be a w-w for all.

My gut though says 46 is done. Not sure about St. Patrice.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm sure that's a real priority for them.

I think Bergeron said last year he let Sweeney know by June what his intentions were. I'd expect for Bergeron he has the same mindset. Krejci is the wild card. If he's going to retire I expect him to make that announcement early this off-season. If he hasn't announced his retirement by the time FA starts then I'd expect him to come back.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think Bergeron said last year he let Sweeney know by June what his intentions were. I'd expect for Bergeron he has the same mindset. Krejci is the wild card. If he's going to retire I expect him to make that announcement early this off-season. If he hasn't announced his retirement by the time FA starts then I'd expect him to come back.
Makes sense. Believe Krejci indicated he needed a couple weeks to think it thru.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Krejci has 786 points in his career, 203 of them on the powerplay.That's 25.8%.
For comparison here are the stats of someone who's a real powerplay point compiler:
Leon Draisaitl has 744 points in his career, 257 of them on the powerplay.That's 34.5%
EDIT: Heres a few more examples: Ovechkin is at 37.2% with 553 PP points out of 1485. Brett Hull is at 38.5% (536 out of 1391), and Lemieux is at a whopping 40.6%! (701 out of 1723).
And Krejci should have been played a lot more on the powerplay than He was rarely, if ever, played as a true 1st PP unit player.

Are you really going to compare Krejci to Draisaitl, Ovechkin and Mario Lemieux?

That statement is just blatantly false. For most of his career Krejci was 1st power play unit player.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Are you really going to compare Krejci to Draisaitl, Ovechkin and Mario Lemieux?
You left out Brett Hull.

Yes, I just compared their percentage of points vs. pp points vs Krejci’s percentages.

You said he had "lots" of powerplay points. I showed you his percentage.

Then I offered up players who scored a significantly higher percentage of their points on the powerplay. So people could understand what constitutes a high percentage.

This in no way compares them as players overall.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
“Can” operate, yeah, but it isn’t as good as knowing.

Love both players and the FO has been very accommodating in the past regarding timing of their decisions. Arguably that’s in part because they haven’t had significant alternative options.

Now one can argue they still don’t. Which leads me to this…if we hear the FO say “ we will wait as long as it takes for the two to make their decisions” then we know the FO is more than happy to defer change to the future

And If they do I’m not convinced it’s because they think they have a real shot to win, more so it may be a way to just not suck until such time that better cap space exists and quality replacement C is on the horizon thru FA, etc. Buying time.

How about this. Talk to players now, Resign both (although I am a proponent of moving on) with no NTC,NMC. See how year goes. If team not clicking as TDL approaches trade em for picks to contenders to give them a final shot at winning. Could be a w-w for all.

My gut though says 46 is done. Not sure about St. Patrice.
Who knows!!! Maybe Bruins do know what are their décision.

Reactions: Mathews28

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think he comes back.
i just don't see it

there's no spot for him really and living apart from his family had to suck. he's got his 1000 games and nothing left to prove. I think he's being honest about needing time to consider it but I will be surprised if he comes back

All time underrated/under-appreciated Bruin?

Entire NHL history with Boston
9th in pts for the organization
4th all time in playoff pts
Lead the team in scoring during their Cup run.
Played for 1 mil last year to make the greatest paper roster happen

Yet he's always been an afterthought behind the "flashier" forwards and often played with the Heinens and Kuhlmans of the roster,
I think he's one of the most underrated players in NHL history

Reactions: 13Hockey

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
i just don't see it

there's no spot for him really and living apart from his family had to suck. he's got his 1000 games and nothing left to prove. I think he's being honest about needing time to consider it but I will be surprised if he comes back

I think he's one of the most underrated players in NHL history
Didn’t get enough kudos for 200 ft game IMO.

Or, smaller sample size, for the fact that in 2019 SCF he was one of the bruins more physical players.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You left out Brett Hull.

Yes, I just compared their percentage of points vs. pp points vs Krejci’s percentages.

You said he had "lots" of powerplay points. I showed you his percentage.

Then I offered up players who scored a significantly higher percentage of their points on the powerplay. So people could understand what constitutes a high percentage.

This in no way compares them as players overall.

These are all-time great offensive players. They drive the power play for their teams. They put the puck in the net. They do not feast on secondary assists like Krejci on the PP..

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
considering their cap hits are very little. Sweeny can operate without rushing 46 and 37
Bullshit they did that last year , they should make a decision in a couple of weeks .My opinion who has always liked Krecji time to retire. I just read in previous posts that he thought of leaving during the season , that is the first I heard of it but if true he should move on.........

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

That statement is just blatantly false. For most of his career Krejci was 1st power play unit player.

Patrice Bergeron: 326 PP points out of 1,040...31,3% of his points come from the power play

And Krejci was only on the 1st power play for a couple of years. Its been 7 years since Cassidy took over and made the PP unit changes

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Krejci has 786 points in his career, 203 of them on the powerplay.

That's 25.8%.

Leon Draisaitl has 744 points in his career, 257 of them on the powerplay.

That's 34.5%

And Krejci should have been played a lot more on the powerplay than he ever was actually. He was rarely, if ever, played as a true 1st PP unit player.
This is an all time brutal take, imo. Yes he tallied some PP points but I’d say that was by default and not truly anything he did. In reality, as a pp player he’s too one dimensional because of his unwillingness to shoot regularly. Teams shade him to pass and it creates less outlets for offense, imo.

Reactions: finchster

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I can understand why Krejci would want to hang 'em up, I'm sure it was tough being w/o his family. OTOH he may decide he doesn't want his career to end on such a bad note- missing most of the playoffs with an injury & we all know how the series turned out.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
David Krejci would have gotten a lot more recognition as a top two-way center and Selke candidate had he not been on a team with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand.
This is a fact.
Actually not sure if anyone else ever did this…but I used to try and watch the interaction between 37 and 46 and see if there was anything I could pick up on in terms of their relationship that might be driven by the different level of recognition the two received from fans/media/awards.

Was a time 46 was the 1c, playing with the the Declared “top line” and things changed over time. I’d argue that was appropriate as Patrice was multi dimensional whereas Krejci was more a disher. But the gap between the two isn’t/wasn’t as large as it might seem based on the level of adoration and credit they each received over their careers.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is a fact.
Actually not sure if anyone else ever did this…but I used to try and watch the interaction between 37 and 46 and see if there was anything I could pick up on in terms of their relationship that might be driven by the different level of recognition the two received from fans/media/awards.

Was a time 46 was the 1c, playing with the the Declared “top line” and things changed over time. I’d argue that was appropriate as Patrice was multi dimensional whereas Krejci was more a disher. But the gap between the two isn’t/wasn’t as large as it might seem based on the level of adoration and credit they each received over their careers.

When Julien was here and Krejci had capable wingers like Lucic and Horton, and even before with guys like Ryder and Wheeler, he never sheltered Krejci's line as he knew he had a very good two-way center.

It was only under Cassidy when Krejci had that revolving door of wingers that you saw them try and limit their time in the defensive zone.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This is a fact.

I think the difference between the two will be one as a first ballot Hall of Famer, the other as not a Hall of Famer at all.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Love how this place can rip him for both being too dependent on PP pts and also for only getting PP pts "by default" because "he's too one dimensional".

Meanwhile he's top ten all time in production for the team.

"Yeah he's tallied some points but. . . " :laugh:

Of players that have played at least 200 games for the Bruins, Krejci is tied with Derek Sanderson for 36th in points per game.

Bergeron is only 28th, but he has nearly 200 more goals and a much higher plus/minus. And then there are all of those Selke trophies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
When Julien was here and Krejci had capable wingers like Lucic and Horton, and even before with guys like Ryder and Wheeler, he never sheltered Krejci's line as he knew he had a very good two-way center.

It was only under Cassidy when Krejci had that revolving door of wingers that you saw them try and limit their time in the defensive zone.
Right. I was thinking maybe I didn’t wanna go down the Krejci gets crap wingers but that’s a big part of it. Could David have up big numbers with Marchand if that was the pair? Probably, but the chemistry between Bergeron and Marchand dictated they stay together so Krejci got the next tier of wingers and as a unit they weren’t as trusted in their own end.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad