Rumor: Dave Pagnotta of the 4th Period- Canucks getting plenty of calls/offers on JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
"Top prospect" isn't a uniform thing. There's some 1st + prospect trades I'd consider, others I would not.

I think a better way of thinking about it is that Miller should return at least the equivalent of an extra 1st in value compared to a typical deadline rental, since the acquiring team will be able to flip him for 1st + good prospect in a year.

Reactions: Michael HOMERUNing

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Dubas destroyed the RFA market and it looks like he has also destroyed the trade market with his Foligno trade. Pagnotta is right. Foligno as a 30 point player returned a 1st round pick, Miller as a point per game player with an extra year should return 3 first round picks

Dubas? As if he was the first GM to give up a first at the deadline for a player who normally would command less.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
"Top prospect" isn't a uniform thing. There's some 1st + prospect trades I'd consider, others I would not.

I think a better way of thinking about it is that Miller should return at least the equivalent of an extra 1st in value compared to a typical deadline rental, since the acquiring team will be able to flip him for 1st + good prospect in a year.
The prospect needs to be in the caliber of elite prospect aka like a Dylan Guenther because that 1st will just be similar to a high 2nd. And they would probably add another prospect to that or a decent 3rd liner to balance cap.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
If the Canucks are going to trade Miller, they should retain 50% and see how many teams willing to outbid each other.

Agree. The Canucks can handle a ~2.8m hit next year since they aren't making noise next year anyway. Only issue is it may prevent signing Boeser, but Boeser also may be trade bait.

JT Miller at 2.8m for the next year and a half is worth at least two firsts and a prospect, or a 1st and a blue chipper. In my opinion.

Reactions: zcaptain

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Would something revolving around a framework of Nashville 1st + Jeannot + defensive prospect be a possibility?

Miller might fit the age core of the Preds better, Canucks get a blossoming power forward and their pick. They could then focus on getting a better dman return by dishing off Boeser.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yep so the price point for Miller at 1st, top prospect and 3rd is probably in the right ballpark.

I honestly cant picture one playoff team that wouldnt benefit from getting Miller but can you imagine if these teams added him:

Toronto
Tampa
Vegas
Colorado
Carolina

He can be used as a Centre or Winger. Kills penalties and plays the PP at half wall or net front. Literally a top end Swiss Army Knife
Won’t be Colorado. Scoring isn’t their problem. I’d put Florida in there instead.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think Ultimately the Canucks keep Miller if he signs here. He is far to valuable to the team going forwards especially if Petey is a Winger instead of a C

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Yah that one game after not playing for 10 days, against one of the best teams in the league surely set the tone for Miller, I mean we should just ignore all the other games where he has been stellar this year, because of ONE GAME.
Great analysis, should see what I thought of the Panthers the one other game I watched of theirs on Dec 14th vs the Senators.
I was just saying what I saw.
When Boudreau was hired, I actually came to your board and said I think you guys can make the playoffs, which all of you disputed. In our pre-game thread, I was defending OEL's strong season against another Panthers fan.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
When Boudreau was hired, I actually came to your board and said I think you guys can make the playoffs, which all of you disputed. In our pre-game thread, I was defending OEL's strong season against another Panthers fan.

Saying what you saw in ONE GAME, nobody judges a player based on one game, never mind the context of it all.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
I'd say the price that the Canucks wouldnt be able to refuse is:

1st round pick
Top Prospect ( preferably Right Shot Dman)
3rd round pick

Miller would be a massive hole to replace for the Canucks. He is the heartbeat and energy of the team a true Alpha in the dressing room.

The way he combines top end skill with grit is something perfect for the playoffs and something that lacks in the rest of the Canucks young forward core.
Nah Canucks fans want more. They want Rangers to give up Adam Fox Kappo Kakko and 3 1sts

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
All while not watching a single Canucks game all season.. thanks?

Reactions: Szechwan

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
2,625,000. That's what his cap hit would be if the Canucks retain 50% on his deal, or however much the inquiring playoff team needs to fit him under the cap.

For a versatile, 1st line forward who is an all around chad on the ice, fit for playoff hockey, elite at faceoffs, a leader, and a genuine producer.

Any team going for a cup fitting him under their cap could very well put them over the top.

And you don't only have him for these playoffs. You have him for next season and next playoffs as well.

Canucks need to maximise his value.

Minimum equivalent of three firsts.

More realistically, and based off the Canucks' needs:

An A-level skater prospect

+

Either a younger 3C, capable of 30~ points with a solid two way game who projects in that role or a young d-man with decent defensive acumen who projects as a top 4 d-man.

+

1st round pick.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
If the Canucks are going to trade Miller, they should retain 50% and see how many teams willing to outbid each other.
I agree, that would increase the offer even more.

If I’m the Canucks I’m targeting the Rangers. My number one target is Schneider.

I would also ask for Nils Lundqist.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

If I’m the Canucks I’m targeting the Rangers. My number one target is Schneider.

I don't think we make good trading partners and why would they trade for a player that didn't work out the last time he was there? Not to mention they are pretty set for a top 6.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021

Doubt the Rangers trade Nils for JT as they are not looking to add chemistry killer in their locker room. Rangers sold him cheap for that reason as did Stevie Y despite him requesting JT into the deal.

I don’t see Canucks/Rangers as good trade partners although Rangers have 2 players Canucks fans would like in Nils and Braden. Canucks have one player the Rangers would have interest in but Nucks are not shopping him.Rangers are not interested in 2 year rentals due to flat cap and are not in Cup contention stage yet

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Naw Canucks fans want actual value, a few Rangers fans like yourself seem to be constantly running with narratives that don't exist, it's sad really.
I understand wanting value but how many times do you see Rathbone plus something else for Braden and Kravstov. I constantly see JT Miller to Rangers deals despite it making no sense for Rangers with flat cap and are not all in this year or next. Rangers are targeting a bottom 6 forward so doubt either team is a match with each other. That is something you and I can agree on

Feb 19, 2018
Would something revolving around a framework of Nashville 1st + Jeannot + defensive prospect be a possibility?

Miller might fit the age core of the Preds better, Canucks get a blossoming power forward and their pick. They could then focus on getting a better dman return by dishing off Boeser.
As a Canucks fan this is not going to fly. The main asset would preferably be a top RHD Prospect with massive upside to be at minimum a top 3 Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad