NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
any of you fine upstanding citizens hear anything new about the topic of this thread? the 24-25 preseason schedule is out! maybe the team's waiting for the Stanley Cup to be over?

if the Bruins TV pxp position's still open, I'm hoping my new Supercut will gain consideration. I'm sorry for sending a multitude of links earlier in this thread, but this just-published video is my best 10 minutes of hockey announcing since I started having fun. If you still aren't a fan, then this is truly the moment where I say, that I gave this everything I had and I need to move on.

1718714196955.png

good luck with this endeavor right now, the Celtics are the only topic. Congrats C's and my Rhode Island man Joe Mazzulla for winning the title, Celts take the championship lead over the Lakers.

Reactions: BMC

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
any of you fine upstanding citizens hear anything new about the topic of this thread? the 24-25 preseason schedule is out! maybe the team's waiting for the Stanley Cup to be over?

if the Bruins TV pxp position's still open, I'm hoping my new Supercut will gain consideration. I'm sorry for sending a multitude of links earlier in this thread, but this just-published video is my best 10 minutes of hockey announcing since I started having fun. If you still aren't a fan, then this is truly the moment where I say, that I gave this everything I had and I need to move on.

View attachment 883861
good luck with this endeavor right now, the Celtics are the only topic. Congrats C's and my Rhode Island man Joe Mazzulla for winning the title, Celts take the championship lead over the Lakers.

I would have to guess that we won’t hear much about this until closer to the end of summer, after the draft and free agency happen. Just a guess though.

Reactions: jimmccabe40

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

View attachment 883861

up to NESN no one else here knows until it's been made public

Reactions: jimmccabe40

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So I didn't hear it last night but I guess Sean Grande delivered what could have been interpreted as a potential goodbye? He started his career doing college hockey. Could he be in the mix?

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
So I didn't hear it last night but I guess Sean Grande delivered what could have been interpreted as a potential goodbye? He started his career doing college hockey. Could he be in the mix?
I didn't hear it, either, but it wouldn't shock me.

A few weeks ago, someone on social media asked him about the Bruins' TV job, and he fairly graciously indicated that everyone should wait until this season is over before we start speculating about next season.

Which strikes me as a way of saying, "Yes, I'm interested, but I don't want to say anything in public before Jack has even finished up."

And NESN has got to pay more than the Celtics' radio gig does.

Then again, I believe he's from New York City, and that's where his wife works... so maybe there's a play-by-play job there that he's got an eye on?

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017

View attachment 883861

I believe this would be better suited for an e-mail to NESN. I am not really sure what you would like HFBoards or Reddit to do. This isn't really a NESN's got talent show where we vote on who gets selected.

Anyways, good luck out there

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think this spot pays? Mid-6 figures is my guess but who knows. Jack was there a long time so he was probably doing pretty well.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I would have to guess that we won’t hear much about this until closer to the end of summer, after the draft and free agency happen. Just a guess though.
The last time the Bruins had a broadcast opening, it was on radio when Dave Goucher went to Vegas. Judd Sirott was hired *after* the preseason after several broadcasters were auditioned on the broadcasts.

With a lot of NHL teams, the team essentially owns the broadcast and does the hiring, or will do so in consultation with the broadcast partner. Things really begin to "die down" on the hockey side in early July, and so those in upper management who would need to sign off on an important hire are a bit more open after the draft and free agency. Then is usually when the final decisions are made. There's no need to hire someone *too* early in the offseason for a job that doesn't begin until late September.

NHL teams *rarely* hire broadcasters who haven't at least had some minor league play-by-play experience - and often, AHL experience. And a lot of times, minor league teams don't hire people who don't have junior or college experience or at least have spent some time as an intern with a team. This business is as much "who you know" as "what you know" and building contacts at that level is vital in helping open doors. A TV broadcast for an Original Six team, especially, is going to look for people with NHL experience first, possibly to poach someone who is at the top of the game (as Chicago recently did with Rick Ball) or a talented up-and-comer. Beyond that, you might see the top AHL guys get a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Upton

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
@jimmccabe40 hear any news yet?
sure, I have a few. it rained hard in Pawtucket so my yard signs are a little messed up, stay tuned for an official endorsement from the mayor of the city, and also, my brother got on the air on Felger and Mazz last Friday afternoon and hawked me for the position. they apparently googled my name and started making fun of Jim McCabe, the Irish radio announcer.

edit: I misread that as "do you have any updates". those would be the only updates I have.

Attachments

• 20240626_184427.jpg
    20240626_184427.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad