NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
God no.

Can't we get someone new/fresh.

I think McDonough is the most overrated person in the industry.
We're not getting anyone. Our best chance was Goucher. And NESN didn't give him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Take McDonough and run. There ain't a lot of people out there that are good enough. I suffer through Dave O'Brien and Kevin Youkilis with the Red Sox while Don Osillo thrives in San Diego BECAUSE of Nesn.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
We're not getting anyone. Our best chance was Goucher. And NESN didn't give him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Take McDonough and run. There ain't a lot of people out there that are good enough. I suffer through Dave O'Brien and Kevin Youkilis with the Red Sox while Don Osillo thrives in San Diego BECAUSE of Nesn.
I’m with you on this. If someone of McDonough’s caliber is available (and I never thought he would be) then it’s a no-brainer.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Orsillo won't be on air until Saturday in New England.... APPLE TV has the Friday Padres gm

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Problem for me is that McDonough is exactly who I don’t want.

Never been a fan in any capacity .

Reactions: Ace0813 and Ratty

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Sean has told NESN he is interested as calling Bruins games is a lifetime dream of his.

Sean would be about as good an option as there is with Goucher declining or being insulted by the NESN offer.

Far better than that Faust or the typical modern PBP.

Failing to land Goucher is nearly as terrible as failing to resolve the ice.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I thought he did a pretty good job during the finals, WHEN he actually called PBP.

He, like most of them, did spend too much time yakking about a previous series, or a previous season, in the middle of scoring chances. Most of the national guys are worse about that than he is.

He's prolly their best choice at this point, unless there are some young radio people ready for prime time.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
It’s been suggested that OHL announcer Reed Duthie would be an excellent replacement for Jack. Would NESN dare to go to Canada to sign it’s guy?

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I thought he did a pretty good job during the finals, WHEN he actually called PBP.

He, like most of them, did spend too much time yakking about a previous series, or a previous season, in the middle of scoring chances. Most of the national guys are worse about that than he is.

He's prolly their best choice at this point, unless there are some young radio people ready for prime time.
I'd assume most of those national guys try to educate the audience during their call due to the higher volume if random viewers vs the regional networks that have the same audience every time. It's annoying for those of us that follow the sport but probably really helpful and interesting to people trying to learn the game and the players/teams/etc.

McDonough isn't an exciting pick but I'd be fine with him. Probably a short term hire, can't imagine he has too many years left.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
It’s been suggested that OHL announcer Reed Duthie would be an excellent replacement for Jack. Would NESN dare to go to Canada to sign it’s guy?
Reed IIRC grew up watching Fred Cusick and the Bruins on TV38 and he's well versed in the history of the game, he's got a pretty nice collection of old games too. He may not be a Boston guy but he's a Bruins guy.

Reactions: lopey and Gordoff

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
McDonough would be excellent. He has a good voice, Boston native, top-shelf network broadcaster who has called everything and has done it all well.

There would have to be some juggling when he has national conflicts, but that's nothing that hasn't been dealt with before (e.g., the Islanders with Burke, Rangers with Albert, Canes/Kraken with Forslund, Hawks/Kraken with Olczyk, even Emrick when he was with the Devils), so there might be a backup-in-training to fill in for a few games if it is McDonough.

The Bruins are likely going to hire an established voice for the TV role. Up-and-comers are more likely to be in the mix for a radio job ... and Judd's still pretty young, so I don't see that gig opening anytime soon (I keep my eyes peeled on the Cubs' and Blackhawks' radio jobs, because I could see Judd having interest in one or both, just because he's a Chicago guy, but he seems to love Boston and love being the voice of the Bruins).

Reed IIRC grew up watching Fred Cusick and the Bruins on TV38 and he's well versed in the history of the game, he's got a pretty nice collection of old games too. He may not be a Boston guy but he's a Bruins guy.
Reed is fantastic. Like Reed, I'd throw myself in that category of announcers who may not be from Boston, but have grown up with the Bruins (and yes, I have tossed my hat in the ring on both the radio and TV positions when they have opened) ... and in my case, it's been back to getting tapes of Fred Cusick and watching them, and then listening to Bob Neumeier and Dave Goucher on WBZ 1030's clear-channel signal, which boomed into Indiana.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I’ve been thinking about it, and ultimately going to hold out to be the color guy.

I have a somewhat irreverent style and language is definitely a problem that would have to be worked around but it would be entertaining to some — and I suspect a bit off putting to others as well.. I don’t have a video reel, but here are some highlights from my work from my home PO’s studio this year:

“Jack, I gotta tell ya….that Tchachuk is a great player. Very intense. Sadly he’s also a piece of shit. The linesman should let him get his face caved in every once in a while instead of protecting him.”

“f***. f***. f***.”

“You know Jack, I just love seeing Toronto lose. It’s really one of my favorite things.”

“Sam Bennett is good player, but what a cheap weasel. Boston should Bobby Clarke his wrist all series long.”

“For f***’s sake…. Shoot the goddamn puck”

“Boy, Keith Tchachuk needs to lay off the burgers. Holy shit, he’s as big as a house.”

I have more but most is NSFW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad