NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Faust matches up with the team pretty well…bland, no real identity, cheap filler signing.

Leah Hextal is by far the worst that I recognized on that list she’s brutal

Reactions: Gordoff and Sieve77

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Wait ? Taxes, weather, now traffic ?

What about Eddie Shore, Bobby Orr, Patrice Bergeron ?
The guys obviously is not Bruins passionate enough, let his stay in Vegas.

I never understood the love for this guy anyway. Judd is great on the radio lets see him on the tv broadcast

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Faust matches up with the team pretty well…bland, no real identity, cheap filler signing.

Leah Hextal is by far the worst that I recognized on that list she’s brutal

He was a filler. I expect better were he to be a regular. It often takes time to develop chemistry and identity. The stand-in gig was just that- be professional, keep it simple, make no major errors.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Slightly off topic, but I was glad to see Kathryn Tappen back covering hockey.

I'm not privy to the behind-the-scenes machinations, but was surprised to see her working for NHL Network, which seems like a backward move from NBC.

Reactions: TCB and BMC

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
I spoke to Reed last night and can tell you he finally submitted his demo to NESN.

I know over the past couple of seasons Jack Edwards has been a mentor and advisor to Reed and has told him he would support him in any way he can. I'm sure that in Reed's package to NESN, there was a letter from Jack Edwards included.

Problem we all see: NESN is unlikely to hire a Canadian.
props:

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
I'm sure we're not going to have to wait much longer for this process to be over. I could be wrong. But I'm gonna make another plea for everyone on this board to reconsider yours truly for this position.

Please go back starting at Page 3, when I jumped in. I have shared a lot of links to the work I'm most proud of. And yeah, I'm really proud of my work. I wouldn't change a thing.

I know this stat probably doesn't sound as impressive as it did in my head, but I have a hockey highlight YouTube page with over 100K views. I would really like those who have doubted my abilities to go through these videos, maybe gain a new perspective: Jim McCabe

I do have to dispute what was said before, about me trying to go from the YMCA to the NBA so to speak. As I have already said, I have colleagues who worked at the same level as me who are now full-time AHL and ECHL announcers. It's possible I could also be broadcasting a pro-level hockey team at this point, but I never applied anywhere since moving to New England, except an obligatory one-time reach-out to the Vegas Golden Knights and Seattle Kraken when they started. I don't think it should be a strike against me. I have stayed where I'm at because I love these leagues, the players, coaches and parents that are here with me who have made me feel welcome and helped me thrive further.

As I said before, when the Bruins radio job became open in 2017, I did not go for it because I wasn't nearly experienced enough. Since then, I have gained all the experience I think I need. More than 100 games each season, because I never say no when my phone rings and I am fortunate enough to have multiple teams that want me to do their games.

There's not much more to doing this besides goals, saves, hits and fights. Oh, and charisma? Baby I've got TONS of that. If you guys have never done play-by-play before, I can't tell you how much of a head-on-a-swivel deal it is. and the fact of the matter is, I don't miss much. Hardly anything at all. if something happened on the ice that was important, there's a good chance I'm going to tell you about it right away. Each step up, as the players also know, is simply a matter of less time and space to make plays, it's quicker. I'm really hoping I get called to audition for the B's so I can prove that I can do this at the highest level.

-Jim

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
While I admire the drive and passion, I'm just not feeling it as a fit for the role. Just my honest anonymous internet opinion 🤷‍♂️

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
You should probably pitch NESN, not members of HFBoards, Jim.
my activity in this forum is the only thing keeping me from going stir-crazy while I still consider myself an active candidate. I have had exactly five email back-and-forths with NESN. I really don't want to share more than that right now. one other user did mention sometimes the channel and the team view this message board, so really this has also become a way to possibly interact with them, show them more things than I originally did when I applied and speak a little about myself. I really don't want to bother them with "are we there yet" kid in the backseat of a car kind of emails. however, I have been engaged in a self-promotional campaign on the Internet because I want this job more than I've ever wanted any other high-level hockey job and I am doing everything I can, with every spare moment I have, to make this dream come true.

you can call me deranged if you want, but yes in the last month I've been monitoring Google for posts related to this topic. And the few others that have popped up, I've also posted in. So what started as just another one of these postings from me, here I've found an audience, and for better or worse I'm going to drive it into the ground or the sky.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
I would say I could earn favor if I had a horde of Internet people saying "yeah this guy". imagine the exposure this site would get! I'd definitely give you the shout-out. Hell I'd get a tattoo saying 'Thank You HFBoards" if I got this gig.

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
can you explain why you feel that way, given the first part of your statement?
The delivery and voice, to me, simply doesn't have the highest level of quality/polish I'd expect from an NHL PxP broadcast, especially when compared to the other potential candidates. To be transparent, I only listened to your highlight reel video, which seemed to have varying audio/mic quality.

Reactions: mel and Gordoff

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
The delivery and voice, to me, simply doesn't have the highest level of quality/polish I'd expect from an NHL PxP broadcast, especially when compared to the other potential candidates. To be transparent, I only listened to your highlight reel video, which seemed to have varying audio/mic quality.
yes, at my level there is a varying A/V quality from game to game.

Listen, honestly if this position had become available any season before, I might not dispute what you're saying. Year-to-year, it was putting the pieces together a little more. But I want to talk a little about my 2023-2024 season, if that's the demo you watched.

I'm as middle-class as it gets. I worked nearly a decade for iHeartRadio's news division. A lot of long hours. We went separate ways last October. after that happened, I'm going to honestly tell you that I felt like EVERYTHING came together for my hockey broadcasts, as I finally was getting normal sleep. as someone who has always been his own worst critic, I think it says a lot that I took off my headset after a lot of games this season and immediately said, "yeah that was good". so I don't know if that means anything to you, but at this point I really am confident in my play-by-play cadence and I have, what has been said by many to me, a good goal call.

Sorry I said "a lot" a lot.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I spoke to Reed last night and can tell you he finally submitted his demo to NESN.

I know over the past couple of seasons Jack Edwards has been a mentor and advisor to Reed and has told him he would support him in any way he can. I'm sure that in Reed's package to NESN, there was a letter from Jack Edwards included.

Problem we all see: NESN is unlikely to hire a Canadian.
Sophia waves

The Bruins for TV have NEVER hired anyone who didn't have New England roots but today there is no pipeline for hockey announcers.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
my activity in this forum is the only thing keeping me from going stir-crazy while I still consider myself an active candidate. I have had exactly five email back-and-forths with NESN. I really don't want to share more than that right now. one other user did mention sometimes the channel and the team view this message board, so really this has also become a way to possibly interact with them, show them more things than I originally did when I applied and speak a little about myself. I really don't want to bother them with "are we there yet" kid in the backseat of a car kind of emails. however, I have been engaged in a self-promotional campaign on the Internet because I want this job more than I've ever wanted any other high-level hockey job and I am doing everything I can, with every spare moment I have, to make this dream come true.

you can call me deranged if you want, but yes in the last month I've been monitoring Google for posts related to this topic. And the few others that have popped up, I've also posted in. So what started as just another one of these postings from me, here I've found an audience, and for better or worse I'm going to drive it into the ground or the sky.

Respectfully, you’re edging towards the “for worse” category at this point.

Again, respect what you’re trying to do and I think folks have been super generous with their time and feedback. You’ve made your pitch to the masses here, but the constant pitch in a thread that is really of substance to those of us who watch the team is getting tiresome.

Best of luck!

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
No one likes self promotion
I don't think that's accurate. If you have a favorite movie or band, chances are it's got actors/musicians who promoted themselves to get to that point. I understand however that you dislike MY particular self-promotion.

Respectfully, you’re edging towards the “for worse” category at this point.

Again, respect what you’re trying to do and I think folks have been super generous with their time and feedback. You’ve made your pitch to the masses here, but the constant pitch in a thread that is really of substance to those of us who watch the team is getting tiresome.

Best of luck!
Well maybe I should quit while I'm ahead then. if it goes to someone else, consider this message my congratulations. however, I was invited to stay here long-term, regardless, so I hope you'll still have me.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't think that's accurate. If you have a favorite movie or band, chances are it's got actors/musicians who promoted themselves to get to that point. I understand however that you dislike MY particular self-promotion.

Well maybe I should quit while I'm ahead then. if it goes to someone else, consider this message my congratulations. however, someone else did invite me to stay here long-term, regardless, so I hope you'll still have me.
Of course we want you here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad