NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Ryan Johnston has thrown his hat into the ring. I wonder how many people will be vying for the job.

I've been listening to the Sports Hub for years and must've heard him as a guest host or news reader on multiple shows a hundred times, and I've never seen a picture of him before. That is not what I expected him to look like.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I've been listening to the Sports Hub for years and must've heard him as a guest host or news reader on multiple shows a hundred times, and I've never seen a picture of him before. That is not what I expected him to look like.
I've seen him on NBCSB as a fill-in a few times and found him boring but I've never heard his pbp.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I like him on the radio as a host and think he should have a full time gig. Never heard his PBP. But he should be at least second chair on one of the radio stations around here. Decent voice, knows his stuff (and what he doesnt), seemingly has good character. But to jump right to TV PBP for an original 6? I hope we can do better. But NESN is cheap as hell so who knows.

nickyb

May 5, 2004
I don't think that's accurate. If you have a favorite movie or band, chances are it's got actors/musicians who promoted themselves to get to that point. I understand however that you dislike MY particular self-promotion.

Well maybe I should quit while I'm ahead then. if it goes to someone else, consider this message my congratulations. however, I was invited to stay here long-term, regardless, so I hope you'll still have me.

Hey Jim, I hope you land the gig and admire your passion, keep on trucking !!! Don't be discouraged by the negativity around here :cool:

Last edited:

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
my activity in this forum is the only thing keeping me from going stir-crazy while I still consider myself an active candidate. I have had exactly five email back-and-forths with NESN. I really don't want to share more than that right now. one other user did mention sometimes the channel and the team view this message board, so really this has also become a way to possibly interact with them, show them more things than I originally did when I applied and speak a little about myself. I really don't want to bother them with "are we there yet" kid in the backseat of a car kind of emails. however, I have been engaged in a self-promotional campaign on the Internet because I want this job more than I've ever wanted any other high-level hockey job and I am doing everything I can, with every spare moment I have, to make this dream come true.

you can call me deranged if you want, but yes in the last month I've been monitoring Google for posts related to this topic. And the few others that have popped up, I've also posted in. So what started as just another one of these postings from me, here I've found an audience, and for better or worse I'm going to drive it into the ground or the sky.
Keep up the great work! Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I like Ryan Johnston on the radio. Just a hunch, but I think he would be decent enough at the job. I don't think he's the right choice though

Reactions: Gordoff

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
If I was hiring for the role, I would only be looking at people who have established experience being broadcast at a pro level.

No way I’d be hiring someone to be the voice of my team who hasn’t already shown they can be trusted to be live on-air being heard by millions.
If I were hiring, Gaucher would be in Boston already. Judd would be my 2nd choice.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
If Nesn threw legit money at Dave such as "an offer he couldn't refuse", he'd be back, imo.
A lot of people keep saying that NESN cheaped out but the reality is that we have no idea what they offered. Maybe they did make a great offer and he just didn’t want to come back. As you said, we’ll probably never know.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
A lot of people keep saying that NESN cheaped out but the reality is that we have no idea what they offered. Maybe they did make a great offer and he just didn’t want to come back. As you said, we’ll probably never know.
We are talking the company that let Don Orsillo go. Pretty safe bet that they nickel and dimed him.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
If Nesn threw legit money at Dave such as "an offer he couldn't refuse", he'd be back, imo.

Money doesn’t always motivate certain people. I understand why someone wouldn’t want to live and work in or near a major city. I did it and hated every minute. I live near and work in a medium- to small-market city. I love the work and hate the city. I’m willing to significantly less to work in a place I like. It might be where Dave is in life.

Reactions: Johnny Upton

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am at the end of my career and it saddens me how NESN continues to cut corners on game production.

50+ years ago WSBK-TV38 bought an expensive machine from Ampex for $250K in 1970 dollars to enhance Bruins telecasts that even CBC balked at the price.

That machine only allowed 30 seconds of video to be stored. Johnny Pierson did these replays blind but was dead on

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If I was hiring for the role, I would only be looking at people who have established experience being broadcast at a pro level.

No way I’d be hiring someone to be the voice of my team who hasn’t already shown they can be trusted to be live on-air being heard by millions.

Unfortunately established/experienced broadcasters cost a lot more money. NESN hates spending money.

Don Orsillo was begging for a relatively fair contract and they wouldn’t give it to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad