NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Wow

This is where dream meets quality of life

College roommate who I still go to Bruins games with grew up with McDonagh clan in Hingham - been out with Sean those early days before everyone reeled it in - super super guy. This would be for me outstanding/ we would talk a lot about Bruins - he’s a machine on them

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sean has told NESN he is interested as calling Bruins games is a lifetime dream of his.
I wonder if he could keep his ESPN gig.

They really don’t carry many national games until the playoffs, especially splitting the package with TNT.

I think McDonough is a lot better calling baseball than hockey, but there are worse choices.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Tom Werner I’m sure hates Wil McDonagh so I’ll be surprised

• Wow

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
McDonough is solid. Does this mean Dave Goucher is out of the running because that’d be unfortunate

Reactions: lopey

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wow

College roommate who I still go to Bruins games with grew up with McDonagh clan in Hingham - been out with Sean those early days before everyone reeled it in - super super guy. This would be for me outstanding/ we would talk a lot about Bruins - he’s a machine on them
Sean is 63 and very financially secure

Sean bleeds hockey and shows up as a fan at many college games.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sean is 63 and very financially secure

Sean bleeds hockey and shows up as a fan at many college games.
Would they hire him

He grew up with Orr showing up like many of us and he’s been hooked every since

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Here's the real question about Sean calling Bruins games . . . can he say "that's a draw to me" with a straight face when a Bruin clearly loses a fight? That's the hurdle Jack set . . .

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
If this was the Sox I would be doubtful because Sean would rail on them left and right. We had an epic Mookie Betts quote last summer after he hit a homer.

“It’s a trade that can never be defended and a stain that will never be erased, the trade of Mookie Betts by the Red Sox.”

But since it's the B's I bet Tom Warner will take the home town discount.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Love McDonaugh always run into him at Syracuse basketball tournament games great guy and awesome call. Hope he does PBP for the Sox too if this happens.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I wonder if he could keep his ESPN gig.

They really don’t carry many national games until the playoffs, especially splitting the package with TNT.

I think McDonough is a lot better calling baseball than hockey, but there are worse choices.
I think he’d stay in the rotation for ESPN and call playoff games and the odd Bruins night off. Along with the odd college basketball game.

Prime Jack Edwards was great the rare few times he’d call a national game on Vs.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Wow

Going from Jack to McDonagh is about as far as you can go on my scale of quality broadcasters.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Interesting! I’d have thought that he would stick with his national gig but I definitely wouldn’t hate having him call Bruins games.

Don't underestimate the wear and tear travel can put on a body. Staying near home for half your gigs instead of flying to another venue every day is a perk one cannot ignore.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Most of the crap that got slung in Sean's direction was because he was calling games in the finals while under the weather. I also think it just became trendy to dump on anything ESPN related and since he was their lead broadcaster, he got caught in the crossfire.

I'd be happy to have him be our guy.
They guy's always whining about being sick and then being criticized. I've heard him when healthy and he sucked too. Doesn't know the game and he is boring. On top of that he's old. Gotta find someone else.

• Haha
Reactions: BradPark22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad