Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Nurse barely played in game 7. He and Broberg had the lowest TOI of all the defense. When is the last time you saw Nurse only given 15 minutes of time a game?
His ice time had continuously declined as the series progressed. Possibly he was nursing an injury (no pun intended). I'd argue Nurse scored the worst grade for anyone on the roster these playoffs and the reduced ice time was warranted.
Too be fair everyone barely played in game 7. We played Ek and Bouch with Connor Leon and Hyman almost half the game out there.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I would like to see Marner with McDavid or Drai. I can imagine he would be better than RNH free loading on the wing.

Hyman-McDavid-Marner
That is completely wrong, and at double the price its completely insane. Marner and McLeod might be #1 and #2 p***yes in NHL playoff hockey.

Why would anyone still be slagging Nuge's 5 mil contract, its one of the best contracts in the NHL.

Reactions: Aerrol

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I have to vent about Nurse for a second. I’m just tired of it.

He has to f***ing go.

People saying he just needs a better partner.. what? What kind of partner? We’ve given him many different partners with different playstyles.

He did well in the shortened season with Barrie, that’s pretty much it. After the shortened season suddenly the Barrie chemistry was completely gone. Similar thing happened with Ceci, good for a bit and then it all crumbles away.

So maybe he needs defensive dman as a partner, even though Nurse should be more than capable of being a steady dman himself. Well, he got plenty of time with Larsson and that pairing was trash.

Most importantly he was trash with Bouchard. You’ve got a 34/35 year old Ekholm, Nurse has all the tools Ekholm has, yet it is a disaster pairing whenever it’s tried.

Nurse for whatever reason doesn’t get it. Maybe it’s just between the ears, he just doesn’t have the IQ.

I think he needs a change of scenery to snap out of it, get serious about his game. I think the 9.25 went to his head, he thinks he’s better than he is. For his own good and most importantly, the Oilers own good, move this f***ing guy ASAP.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010

He has to f***ing go.

People saying he just needs a better partner.. what? What kind of partner? We’ve given him many different partners with different playstyles.

He did well in the shortened season with Barrie, that’s pretty much it. After the shortened season suddenly the Barrie chemistry was completely gone. Similar thing happened with Ceci, good for a bit and then it all crumbles away.

So maybe he needs defensive dman as a partner, even though Nurse should be more than capable of being a steady dman himself. Well, he got plenty of time with Larsson and that pairing was trash.

Most importantly he was trash with Bouchard. You’ve got a 34/35 year old Ekholm, Nurse has all the tools Ekholm has, yet it is a disaster pairing whenever it’s tried.

Nurse for whatever reason doesn’t get it. Maybe it’s just between the ears, he just doesn’t have the IQ.

I think he needs a change of scenery to snap out of it, get serious about his game. I think the 9.25 went to his head, he thinks he’s better than he is. For his own good and most importantly, the Oilers own good, move this f***ing guy ASAP.
I remember the excuses for him was he was playing the other teams top players and all we need is a top pairing d-man to take the pressure off of him. Now he's playing 2nd/3rd pairing, yet he still blows.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember the excuses for him was he was playing the other teams top players and all we need is a top pairing d-man to take the pressure off of him. Now he's playing 2nd/3rd pairing, yet he still blows.
Off topic, but need to ask you which guy are you referring to as the "Legend of all legends?" The Superbowl winning QB or the 74 year old coach that is currently living with a 24 year old former cheerleader?:naughty:;)

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Brady

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Pretty much all the D but Nurse improved when Coffey/Knob took over.
Maybe the make a play demand is too much.
He had a bump initially after the coaching change, but returned to his normal play after a month or so. I think overall he was better this year than in the past, but still has those moments when you would wonder why he was paid 6 million never mind His actual 9.25…. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of his mistakes end up being costly and at a crucial point of the game.

One thing for sure they cannot continue the Nurse/Ceci pairing next year.

Bearing any trades, at all costs pair him with Broberg who seams to be the better fit and Ceci does better away from Nurse.

Reactions: FunkyChicken

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He had a bump initially after the coaching change, but returned to his normal play after a month or so. I think overall he was better this year than in the past, but still has those moments when you would wonder why he was paid 6 million never mind His actual 9.25…. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of his mistakes end up being costly and at a crucial point of the game.

One thing for sure they cannot continue the Nurse/Ceci pairing next year.

Bearing any trades, at all costs pair him with Broberg who seams to be the better fit and Ceci does better away from Nurse.
I said going into the playoffs he had his chance to wash away the stink of the previous two and he unfortunately didn't do that. I think this is just who he is at this point. I never want to see Nurse/Ceci again.

It's just annoying that Ekholm was brought in to ease the burden on Nurse and somehow he got even worse. Whoever replaces Coffey is going to have to have a long and serious chat with him.

Reactions: CROTT and Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This guy needs to take the summer and do some improving. Last playoffs it feels like he was unplayable. That can't happen with a 9.25M Dman. He's gotta find a way to regain form and return to playing at the very least a #3D

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I feel we would all love Ceci if it wasn't for Nurse. 3.25m for a RHD who, when paired with someone who isn't braindead, can fill in on the top 4, and he shows up big in Game 7's? Even with the brainfarts, that's a recipe for a player that Oil country could appreciate.

Then you got Nurse. Plays horrid in big games, can't make it work with anyone on the roster despite having all the physical tools to be an elite Dman, and when given the chance he selfishly bent the team over the barrell. Despicable. Even at his best, his game isn't great. No shot, no real physicality, subpar defense. He can rush the puck quite well, but how valuable is that when you are playing with world class forwards, one of which is basically an automatic zone entry?

If we didn't go out and stack our forwards this off-season, I'd be heavily tempted to get him to put a full summer of work in as a fwd. At least then his braindead plays hurt us less, because no one is taking this contract for atleast a few years. May as well see if he can be a 45pt power forward, that's more valuable than a bottom pair D who can't play with anyone and routinely has pucks bounce in off him.

I don't think I've hated any Oiler more than Nurse. Being a bitch in media because they finally question your horrible play? Apparently skipping the end of year interviews? Just a gutless, selfish loser.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I feel we would all love Ceci if it wasn't for Nurse. 3.25m for a RHD who, when paired with someone who isn't braindead, can fill in on the top 4, and he shows up big in Game 7's? Even with the brainfarts, that's a recipe for a player that Oil country could appreciate.

Then you got Nurse. Plays horrid in big games, can't make it work with anyone on the roster despite having all the physical tools to be an elite Dman, and when given the chance he selfishly bent the team over the barrell. Despicable. Even at his best, his game isn't great. No shot, no real physicality, subpar defense. He can rush the puck quite well, but how valuable is that when you are playing with world class forwards, one of which is basically an automatic zone entry?

If we didn't go out and stack our forwards this off-season, I'd be heavily tempted to get him to put a full summer of work in as a fwd. At least then his braindead plays hurt us less, because no one is taking this contract for atleast a few years. May as well see if he can be a 45pt power forward, that's more valuable than a bottom pair D who can't play with anyone and routinely has pucks bounce in off him.

I don't think I've hated any Oiler more than Nurse. Being a bitch in media because they finally question your horrible play? Apparently skipping the end of year interviews? Just a gutless, selfish loser.
Woooah. Just to much hate.

He is physichal, but should be way mpre physichal in esp. Playoff games. Thats what he is build for.
And if he isnt playing for that strength, then I just trade him though. 9M means not automaticlly- we ask for your offense, it means we need you to fill in a need in our team.
He is not worth hating, but for 9M you havw to realize that there is a reason you where signed and kept in the organisation. And it isnt for goalscoring. And if Nurse think thats his duty - trade the guy. I dont dislike him, I wish he could get why mainly he is playing here.

And I wishd that this thread where named "Nurse is a #3 dman when he is on his game."

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Yeah-Eddie-Murphy.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

He has to f***ing go.

I see similar issues.

Problem A - he needs a babysitter D partner as a 10 year veteran that makes $9M to simply not be a massive liability

Problem B - I have absolutely no idea what that D partner looks like. It's like playing Russian roulette, we could acquire the exact type of defender that theoretically should be perfect with him, only for that to flop too.

The only solution is for the organization to change their approach with him completely and find some way to get his game back to a form that makes him playable. I think there are two approaches that could be taken, but you would probably have to be close to the player to know which one to take.

Avenue A (Tough Love) - Darnell, you're starting the season firmly as the third pair left defensemen. You don't have the "A" anymore, and Kulak is playing second pair minutes. More ice time is earned gradually, like a rookie. Get back to basics, re-learn the basics of the game that constantly get f***ed up, perform, and earn your ice.

Avenue B (collaborative) - Darnell, your game is currently not in a place where you can be relied upon in significant moments against tough competition and we both need to acknowledge that. You're going to work closely with the skills and development coach in the off season to recognize problem areas in your game and we will work as a team to fix them.

What we can't do? Just leave him to his own devices and hope he isn't the same Nurse in October, because he will be. What we know about him is he has possibly the worst hockey sense I've ever seen, likely a complete lack of recognition of how bad is game is at the moment, and difficulty identifying areas to improve on and actually do it. Time to either hold his hand, or beat him with a stick. Rolling it back or hoping that a random D acquisition will just fix him isn't it.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We need to get over the hope that Nurse is going to be traded. That contract isn’t being moved.

Last 5 seasons he’s essentially gone from: Bear to Barrie to Ceci as his most common D-partners.

Past three seasons in the playoffs:
Nurse+Ceci - 43% xGF
Nurse without Ceci - 54% xGF
Ceci without Nurse - 41% xGF

Best hope is to get a legitimate top 4 partner for him to play with. Not guys who would be barely sticking in the NHL otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad