Prospect Info: Cayden Lindstrom

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He turns very well for a player his size. If he is able to build a more powerful first few steps he will be one of the best big man movers in the world.

He looks amazing, I think his first steps are great right now. He should be one of the most uncontainable players in the league.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Safe to assume he's going back to junior? Or is there a chance he cracks the roster?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think of it this way: if he's actually able to force his way onto the NHL roster that quickly, it's only because he's also going to be winning the Calder and Conn Smythe.

I was going to say that if he looks in camp like he is winning the Calder, he can get a 9 game run, and if he still looks like he's winning the Calder then he can stay as long as he's playing well. No need for a Conn Smythe lol.

Anyways I'm really not sure what to expect. This is a different situation because we're talking about a prospect that is very big, strong, and fast already.

Reactions: LJ7

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
He is working on a new skating stride. I’d like to see him back in the WHL and complete a whole season without back problems.
Agree. And if back problems return, now is the time to see if more invasive treatment would help. If it takes 3 years to get him fully healthy, he is still not 22. But let's hope he can be ready to go next year.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Does it bother anyone that he hasn’t cracked the lineup for Canada’s Summer Showcase?
Medicine Hat Tigers forward Cayden Lindstrom, who was picked fourth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in June, will not take the ice at this camp.

"He'll be around with all the meetings," Anholt said. "He'll get his workouts in so he's not going to miss out on anything in that regard. He'll go back to Columbus once he's been here for a few days. It's a good chance for our coaches to at least see the whites of his eyes. We can get to know him, and he can understand the importance of the camp – albeit not on the ice."

Lindstrom missed most of the second half of last season due to a back injury.

"It was a disc herniation," he told TSN in June. "That's really it. Those things take a long time to heal. It kind of effected the nerve in my leg and gave me a little sciatica. It was nothing too crazy. It's just a matter of time. Like, nerve stuff takes a while to heal, but I'm feeling great now. I'm on the ice three to five times a week now. I'm in the gym basically every day training and I train hard. It's healing up nicely."
Luca Pinelli missed Tuesday's game after sustaining a leg contusion in the camp's first practice. The Ottawa 67s forward was back on the ice on Wednesday.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Does it bother anyone that he hasn’t cracked the lineup for Canada’s Summer Showcase?
It bothers me that he’s not doing on ice stuff, yes. I’m going to be very curious on how they handle camp with him.

But he easily would crack the lineup if healthy.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Cayden Lindstrom, whom the Blue Jackets drafted fourth overall in June, will not sign an entry-level contract prior to attending his first NHL training camp.

There’s also a chance Lindstrom, 18, won’t get an ELC before departing for Medicine Hat of the Western Hockey League. Waddell isn’t in a rush to sign the impressive forward, who missed about half of last season with injuries to his back and hand. Lindstrom said those issues are healed, but the Blue Jackets took extra care with him during their NHL development camp in early July. He participated in skating drills but wasn’t cleared for "battles" or a scrimmage to conclude camp. Prospects selected in the first round often sign ELCs quickly, since it's mostly formulaic. That's why Lindstrom’s lack of a contract is notable. Waddell declined multiple trade offers to select Lindstrom, and the Jackets bypassed highly skilled winger Ivan Demidov to snag a 6-foot-3, 210-pound center. Lindstrom is currently one of two first-round picks from this year’s draft who hasn’t signed and isn’t under contract in Russia or headed to college. The other is London Knights forward Sam O’Reilly, who was selected 32nd overall by the Edmonton Oilers with the final pick in the first round.
Waddell isn’t concerned about it.

“I’m not a believer in keeping these young kids here, so whether we sign him or not (in camp), we’re going to send him back this year and let him play,” Waddell said. “I told his agent, ‘Let’s just get to training camp and get him here.’ I’m not worried about it. We’ll sign him at some point.”

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad