Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Nurse barely played in game 7. He and Broberg had the lowest TOI of all the defense. When is the last time you saw Nurse only given 15 minutes of time a game?
His ice time had continuously declined as the series progressed. Possibly he was nursing an injury (no pun intended). I'd argue Nurse scored the worst grade for anyone on the roster these playoffs and the reduced ice time was warranted.
Too be fair everyone barely played in game 7. We played Ek and Bouch with Connor Leon and Hyman almost half the game out there.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I would like to see Marner with McDavid or Drai. I can imagine he would be better than RNH free loading on the wing.

Hyman-McDavid-Marner
That is completely wrong, and at double the price its completely insane. Marner and McLeod might be #1 and #2 p***yes in NHL playoff hockey.

Why would anyone still be slagging Nuge's 5 mil contract, its one of the best contracts in the NHL.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I have to vent about Nurse for a second. I’m just tired of it.

He has to f***ing go.

People saying he just needs a better partner.. what? What kind of partner? We’ve given him many different partners with different playstyles.

He did well in the shortened season with Barrie, that’s pretty much it. After the shortened season suddenly the Barrie chemistry was completely gone. Similar thing happened with Ceci, good for a bit and then it all crumbles away.

So maybe he needs defensive dman as a partner, even though Nurse should be more than capable of being a steady dman himself. Well, he got plenty of time with Larsson and that pairing was trash.

Most importantly he was trash with Bouchard. You’ve got a 34/35 year old Ekholm, Nurse has all the tools Ekholm has, yet it is a disaster pairing whenever it’s tried.

Nurse for whatever reason doesn’t get it. Maybe it’s just between the ears, he just doesn’t have the IQ.

I think he needs a change of scenery to snap out of it, get serious about his game. I think the 9.25 went to his head, he thinks he’s better than he is. For his own good and most importantly, the Oilers own good, move this f***ing guy ASAP.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
I have to vent about Nurse for a second. I’m just tired of it.

He has to f***ing go.

People saying he just needs a better partner.. what? What kind of partner? We’ve given him many different partners with different playstyles.

He did well in the shortened season with Barrie, that’s pretty much it. After the shortened season suddenly the Barrie chemistry was completely gone. Similar thing happened with Ceci, good for a bit and then it all crumbles away.

So maybe he needs defensive dman as a partner, even though Nurse should be more than capable of being a steady dman himself. Well, he got plenty of time with Larsson and that pairing was trash.

Most importantly he was trash with Bouchard. You’ve got a 34/35 year old Ekholm, Nurse has all the tools Ekholm has, yet it is a disaster pairing whenever it’s tried.

Nurse for whatever reason doesn’t get it. Maybe it’s just between the ears, he just doesn’t have the IQ.

I think he needs a change of scenery to snap out of it, get serious about his game. I think the 9.25 went to his head, he thinks he’s better than he is. For his own good and most importantly, the Oilers own good, move this f***ing guy ASAP.
I remember the excuses for him was he was playing the other teams top players and all we need is a top pairing d-man to take the pressure off of him. Now he's playing 2nd/3rd pairing, yet he still blows.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember the excuses for him was he was playing the other teams top players and all we need is a top pairing d-man to take the pressure off of him. Now he's playing 2nd/3rd pairing, yet he still blows.
Off topic, but need to ask you which guy are you referring to as the "Legend of all legends?" The Superbowl winning QB or the 74 year old coach that is currently living with a 24 year old former cheerleader?:naughty:;)

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Brady

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Pretty much all the D but Nurse improved when Coffey/Knob took over.
Maybe the make a play demand is too much.
He had a bump initially after the coaching change, but returned to his normal play after a month or so. I think overall he was better this year than in the past, but still has those moments when you would wonder why he was paid 6 million never mind His actual 9.25…. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of his mistakes end up being costly and at a crucial point of the game.

One thing for sure they cannot continue the Nurse/Ceci pairing next year.

Bearing any trades, at all costs pair him with Broberg who seams to be the better fit and Ceci does better away from Nurse.

Reactions: FunkyChicken

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He had a bump initially after the coaching change, but returned to his normal play after a month or so. I think overall he was better this year than in the past, but still has those moments when you would wonder why he was paid 6 million never mind His actual 9.25…. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of his mistakes end up being costly and at a crucial point of the game.

One thing for sure they cannot continue the Nurse/Ceci pairing next year.

Bearing any trades, at all costs pair him with Broberg who seams to be the better fit and Ceci does better away from Nurse.
I said going into the playoffs he had his chance to wash away the stink of the previous two and he unfortunately didn't do that. I think this is just who he is at this point. I never want to see Nurse/Ceci again.

It's just annoying that Ekholm was brought in to ease the burden on Nurse and somehow he got even worse. Whoever replaces Coffey is going to have to have a long and serious chat with him.

Reactions: CROTT and Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This guy needs to take the summer and do some improving. Last playoffs it feels like he was unplayable. That can't happen with a 9.25M Dman. He's gotta find a way to regain form and return to playing at the very least a #3D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad