Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Can Nurse be bought out?

Too many bonuses in the contract. Barely any savings, and his buyout cap hit would actually be $9.58M for 3 years of it, higher than his current caphit.

Probably would have to trade + retain.

It's actually a pretty crazy buyout. Suppose it would give 2 years of massive relief, but then we get slammed for 4 years.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I can't help but think this all the time too. I really want to see Nurse tried on the wing one day. Maybe he would even have time to play tough and throw good hits.
Have you seen Nurse with the puck on his stick? Terrible winger. He literally looks down at the puck when against the boards. He has zero awareness where anyone is. I shutter to think of him on a cycle cuz he just lofts pucks away from himself to be absolved of any wrong doing. He would annihilate any semblance pf chance to help McDrai keep plays alive

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Really interesting idea, and could actually work. Doubt that they ever consider this and even if they do, doubt he agrees to it. Too much pride
No, coaches are too smart to try this. How much sample size do we need to see him skate low and just throw the puck away?

Said this from his days in JR, He refuses to make a blueline straddle or juke. Watching him freeze up with that stupid one leg extended but stationary flop dump cuz he can't compute a lateral move. . He gets frozen like a dummy waaaaaaaay too often.
The only move he has ALWAYS done with space is skate low, and he ALWAYS tosses it away. Never does it end up a grade A chance or a smart rebound shot. It's literally nothingness. He's been doing this since the OHL.

I watched him do this 20x in one game in a championship match. He sucks. Always has

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Too many bonuses in the contract. Barely any savings, and his buyout cap hit would actually be $9.58M for 3 years of it, higher than his current caphit.

Probably would have to trade + retain.

It's actually a pretty crazy buyout. Suppose it would give 2 years of massive relief, but then we get slammed for 4 years.

This is the most offensive thing about the contract.

If you're paying top, top, top dollar on a long term deal you need a way out. I wasn't in the room, but I simply can't imagine a world that Nurse's camp would put their foot down if the Oilers told them they can have the AAV and the money, but not front loaded so there is an exit strategy.

Reactions: harpoon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I hate to continue piling on the guy but I just got a good look at the Robertson go ahead goal, first really good look at it in slow motion, and I didn't realize in real speed that Nurse had a controller disconnect moment where he's just standing there doing nothing but covering air then instead of attacking Robertson, he tries to block a potential pass that would have gone to a guy covered by Draisaitl showing a complete lack of awareness.

Everybody blames Skinner for that goal and it was a bad one on his part but I'm leaning towards blaming Nurse more. That play right there showed that his head is not in the game. Seriously guys, watch the controller disconnect moment and tell me it doesn't anger you as a fan. I'll attach the video in a moment.
Look at the 2 second to 5 second mark. So bad

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
This is the most offensive thing about the contract.

If you're paying top, top, top dollar on a long term deal you need a way out. I wasn't in the room, but I simply can't imagine a world that Nurse's camp would put their foot down if the Oilers told them they can have the AAV and the money, but not front loaded so there is an exit strategy.
It's hard to squeeze people I guess.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I hate to continue piling on the guy but I just got a good look at the Robertson go ahead goal, first really good look at it in slow motion, and I didn't realize in real speed that Nurse had a controller disconnect moment where he's just standing there doing nothing but covering air then instead of attacking Robertson, he tries to block a potential pass that would have gone to a guy covered by Draisaitl showing a complete lack of awareness.

Everybody blames Skinner for that goal and it was a bad one on his part but I'm leaning towards blaming Nurse more. That play right there showed that his head is not in the game. Seriously guys, watch the controller disconnect moment and tell me it doesn't anger you as a fan. I'll attach the video in a moment.

This is a fairly classic Nurse criticism.

Ceci makes a terrible play up the wall. Drai joins him just puck watching. Nurse is a little indecisive because he now has to decide if he should cover his man or the guy that both Ceci and Drai abandoned. Then apparently the play is all his fault.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

giphy.gif

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like this comment about Nurse by Knob in today's presser. I've often railed against Nurse for not having the brains for big game hockey. It's like his brain shuts off, or more accurately he's probably in his head and thinking too much instead of playing free or with his instincts. Hopefully this comment from Knob unleashes the GOOD Nurse, cause I think somewhere deep down that player still exists:

"I think Darnell can play better, and I think it's just a matter of playing on instincts, the way Darnell checks and covers the ice, I don't know anyone in the NHL that is able to get around the ice as quick as he can and close plays off. He's so efficient at that, for him that's his strongest attribute and for him to play well that's something he's got to be doing every shift"
In other words, simplify your game. Quit overthinking things out there and what everyone else is doing and just do YOUR job.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'll never blame Nurse for the contract he was given but it really doesn't reflect well on him how he's played and conducted himself since then.

If Knoblauch actually scratched him then holy shit.
I can't agree with this at all, but he's been underwhelming this playoffs and absolutely awful in this series.

I could see it, Nurse was SO bad last game. Get him a reset.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I can't agree with this at all, but he's been underwhelming this playoffs and absolutely awful in this series.

He's been underwhelming period since the extension. Flashes of brilliance but often one brain fart a game that ends up in the back of the net. The fact he's only gotten worse since Ekholm arrived is very alarming.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Ceci makes a terrible play up the wall. Drai joins him just puck watching. Nurse is a little indecisive because he now has to decide if he should cover his man or the guy that both Ceci and Drai abandoned. Then apparently the play is all his fault.

He froze for a good 3 seconds doing nothing, how is that defensible? Even with Drai's error, he still was able to chase Hintz down to prevent a pass. Nurse literally did nothing in the middle of nowhere for 3 seconds then bent down to block a pass to a guy who was being covered leaving the shooter all.the time in the world to pick a hole. Pretty egregious defending.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's been underwhelming period since the extension. Flashes of brilliance but often one brain fart a game that ends up in the back of the net. The fact he's only gotten worse since Ekholm arrived is very alarming.
No question here. I think the some of the underwhelming is assume he would be Nik Lidstrom since he signed that deal. That was never going to happen, though it hasn't been a good investment.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He’s had a bad year overall. They have consistently given less minutes and easier matchups. He was a guy who could mostly play top pairing minutes, not great but he could play them. Now he is getting wrecked by 3rd and 4th liners.

Guys like Ekholm know what to do there and doesn’t take a few seconds to decide. He has awful hockey iq and just purely bad decision making.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No question here. I think the some of the underwhelming is assume he would be Nik Lidstrom since he signed that deal. That was never going to happen, though it hasn't been a good investment.
Holland bit hard on a career year and assumed it was the norm. Then he got scared Nurse would walk. Just an absolute disaster by the GM.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I always thought he was overpaid but like 2nd pairing D getting elite 1st line money overpaid, not like, shitty 2nd pairing D level of play.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
From his meet with the media this morning, I wonder if Nurse is coming out.

I wonder if he is having mental issues? There is a huge weight on a person getting paid that kind of $ in this kind of market. I hope he re-sets everything this offseason and comes back better in the fall because no one is taking him and his contract.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if he is having mental issues? There is a huge weight on a person getting paid that kind of $ in this kind of market. I hope he re-sets everything this offseason and comes back better in the fall because no one is taking him and his contract.
Absolutely, I suggested this in the post game, I think he's having a major crisis of confidence. He doesn't have his usual confidence and swagger on the ice.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad