Player Discussion Darnell Nurse is a #1 dman

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is a fairly classic Nurse criticism.

Ceci makes a terrible play up the wall. Drai joins him just puck watching. Nurse is a little indecisive because he now has to decide if he should cover his man or the guy that both Ceci and Drai abandoned. Then apparently the play is all his fault.
Yup, I don't see a problem with Nurse on that play. Don't like that he goes down but he takes away the net front drive option of Robertson forcing him into lower percentage ice while defending the late trailer. Skinner can't get beat on that shot.

Reactions: McDNicks17

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Absolutely, I suggested this in the post game, I think he's having a major crisis of confidence. He doesn't have his usual confidence and swagger on the ice.
The Robertson goal in the video I posted is indicative of a guy whose head isn't in the game. There's definitely something going on upstairs with him that's not right. It's bizarre how much his game has fallen off this season and especially in the playoffs, I hope all is well at home with his family and it's just a matter of loss of confidence.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He froze for a good 3 seconds doing nothing, how is that defensible? Even with Drai's error, he still was able to chase Hintz down to prevent a pass. Nurse literally did nothing in the middle of nowhere for 3 seconds then bent down to block a pass to a guy who was being covered leaving the shooter all.the time in the world to pick a hole. Pretty egregious defending.
He's where he's supposed to be. And Drai was a good two strides off the guy in the middle. If Nurse doesn't take away the pass, he goes back post completely uncovered and then people would be bitching about Nurse leaving a guy wide open in front instead.

Giving a guy who is literally behind the net all the time in the world to shoot should not be an issue haha. That goal is 100% on Skinner.

Guys like Ekholm know what to do there and doesn’t take a few seconds to decide. He has awful hockey iq and just purely bad decision making.
Like Knob says, Nurse plays better when he's going off instinct and not thinking. You know what forces him to think? Covering for errors by his partner and center. There's a reason why the Nurse-Ceci pairing doesn't work.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
He's where he's supposed to be. And Drai was a good two strides off the guy in the middle. If Nurse doesn't take away the pass, he goes back post completely uncovered and then people would be bitching about Nurse leaving a guy wide open in front instead.

Giving a guy who is literally behind the net all the time in the world to shoot should not be an issue haha. That goal is 100% on Skinner.

Like Knob says, Nurse plays better when he's going off instinct and not thinking. You know what forces him to think? Covering for errors by his partner and center. There's a reason why the Nurse-Ceci pairing doesn't work.
i get most of the criticism for nurse but that 4th goal is all on skinner, he was light on his post foot and shouldnt have even moved. he was completely sealed on the post and let it go. nurse was trying to block the pass, which even in hintz is open the idea that nurse is there forces robertson to attempt to score and it never should have went in

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Even if you want to argue that Nurse did the right thing by trying to block the pass, even though you can see that Draisaitl would have had his stick in position to block the pass even though he was a step behind Hintz, I don't know how you can excuse him freezing for a good 3 seconds at the side of the net with nobody in his area code. That's part of the problem with Nurse, brain freezes and poor instincts.

I'm not denying that Skinner was at fault but it was a clusterf*** of defense too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

so Nurse can only play decent when everyone else on the ice is playing perfect? You know how awful that is? Good defenders can cover for their linemates mistakes, Ekholm and Kulak do it constantly.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Even if you want to argue that Nurse did the right thing by trying to block the pass, even though you can see that Draisaitl would have had his stick in position to block the pass even though he was a step behind Hintz, I don't know how you can excuse him freezing for a good 3 seconds at the side of the net with nobody in his area code. That's part of the problem with Nurse, brain freezes and poor instincts.

I'm not denying that Skinner was at fault but it was a clusterf*** of defense too.

I guess I don't see the issue with him sitting there for two seconds.

1717009359506.png

Are you saying he should be charging into the opposite corner to cover Robertson during this frame?

Reactions: McDoused

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

View attachment 877111

Are you saying he should be charging into the opposite corner to cover Robertson during this frame?
It was more like 3 seconds if you watch the video which is a long time in a shift where there is danger in the D zone and, yes, he should do something ANYTHING rather than just stand frozen in space while everybody is moving around. He brain froze, that can't happen in a playoff game and especially a game that was tied in the 3rd.

BTW, not absolving Skinner of blame before you or anybody go there again. I'm just saying.... what the hell was Nurse doing?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It was more like 3 seconds if you watch the video which is a long time in a shift where there is danger in the D zone and, yes, he should do something ANYTHING rather than just stand frozen in space while everybody is moving around. He brain froze, that can't happen in a playoff game and especially a game that was tied in the 3rd.

BTW, not absolving Skinner of blame before you or anybody go there again. I'm just saying.... what the hell was Nurse doing?
See and the thing is you ask this about Nurse at least a few times a game. Unforced icings, late to react, or getting caught flat-footed.

It feels like forever ago when Kopitar made Nurse his bitch in game 2.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Why though? Where do you think he should be and who should he be covering in that frame?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Nurse needs to play a simple game tonight and going forward. Jeff Jackson needs to tell him, as an agent your agent got you a phenomenal deal but it doesn't mean you need to be Cale makar.

Take the money and run, don't worry what even Bouchard or heskenin is doing and be the best version of yourself.

Hit bodies, close gaps with your speed and put that puck to the other end of the ice as fast as possible.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I played D and completely disagree. You can’t puck watch while their top scorer makes a play in tight. All he had to do was be aggressive on Robertson right away and Robertson would have to either make a hope pass or take a wide route behind the net.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I played D and completely disagree. You can’t puck watch while their top scorer makes a play in tight. All he had to do was be aggressive on Robertson right away and Robertson would have to either make a hope pass or take a wide route behind the net.
Both those plays probably have a higher success rate than a shot from a foot below the goal line.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why though? Where do you think he should be and who should he be covering in that frame?
Robertson who was unmarked. He didn't make a motion towards Robertson until he got the puck, had he attacked sooner (and 3 seconds is plenty of time to make that move) he likely could have squeezed him off sooner.

You can't just stand there doing nothing for a good 3 seconds while everybody else is motion, you need to act on instinct and mark somebody. If not Robertson then maybe Hintz so Drai doesn't have to. There are a couple of paths he could have taken rather than just to stand there frozen and useless. It was just another example of low Hockey IQ with him, a pretty common issue of being out of position or just not reacting quickly enough.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Robertson who was unmarked. He didn't make a motion towards Robertson until he got the puck, had he attacked sooner (and 3 seconds is plenty of time to make that move) he likely could have squeezed him off sooner.

You can't just stand there doing nothing for a good 3 seconds while everybody else is motion, you need to act on instinct and mark somebody. If not Robertson then maybe Hintz so Drai doesn't have to. There are a couple of paths he could have taken rather than just to stand there frozen and useless. It was just another example of low Hockey IQ with him, a pretty common issue of being out of position or just not reacting quickly enough.
If Nurse heads to the opposite corner to cover Robertson, Hintz has about 30 feet of open ice around him while sitting in the slot. That would be peak levels of Dallas Eakins swarm for Nurse to run over there haha.

1717011525831.png

Nurse doesn't have to be running around to cover Hintz. He covered him exactly how he should. Played the pass long enough to keep Hintz stationary in the high slot and then closed on Robertson to take the drive and pass away.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If Nurse heads to the opposite corner to cover Robertson, Hintz has about 30 feet of open ice around him while sitting in the slot. That would be peak levels of Dallas Eakins swarm for Nurse to run over there haha.

View attachment 877128

Nurse doesn't have to be running around to cover Hintz. He covered him exactly how he should. Played the pass long enough to keep Hintz stationary in the high slot and then closed on Robertson to take the drive and pass away.
He didn't cover anybody, how did he cover Hintz? He was literally frozen while Hintz skated unmarked into the slot which is why Drai had to circle around to chase him. You keep looking at a still frame which reveals nothing and aren't commenting on the actual video.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He didn't cover anybody, how did he cover Hintz? He was literally frozen while Hintz skated unmarked into the slot which is why Drai had to circle around to chase him. You keep looking at a still frame which reveals nothing and aren't commenting on the actual video.
I'm using frames because you seem laser focused on some silly two second span where Nurse "froze".

Nurse is covering Hintz. That's pretty obvious. He's basically forced to play it like a 2 on 1 because Drai left his man(Robertson) completely unmarked, Ceci doesn't swap to Robertson when the puck first hits Drai and then Drai doesn't swap to Robertson when Ceci and Seguin go to the boards.

Like I said, this is a classic example of the criticism that Nurse gets. There's a comedy of errors around him and he gets blamed because he's the closest guy to the puck. And that's not even mentioning the error that Skinner makes that's ten times worse than anyone else.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm using frames because you seem laser focused on some silly two second span where Nurse "froze".

Nurse is covering Hintz. That's pretty obvious. He's basically forced to play it like a 2 on 1 because Drai left his man(Robertson) completely unmarked, Ceci doesn't swap to Robertson when the puck first hits Drai and then Drai doesn't swap to Robertson when Ceci and Seguin go to the boards.

Like I said, this is a classic example of the criticism that Nurse gets. There's a comedy of errors around him and he gets blamed because he's the closest guy to the puck. And that's not even mentioning the error that Skinner makes that's ten times worse than anyone else.
Silly? It was a 3 second span when he wasn't doing anything, not getting in the way of anybody, just in space in LaLa Land, I don't understand how this is being glossed over by you.
Where are you seeing Nurse cover Hintz? As I said before, Drai had to circle back to chasing Hintz because he WASN'T covered.

I never did not blame anybody else. There were errors from everybody and Skinner was probably the worst culprit because you have to make that save but only one player stood there with his head in the clouds doing nothing for a good 3 second timeframe and that frustrates me a lot more than some guy skating the wrong way or even a goalie leaving that hole open for the puck to squeeze through because that shows a guy whose head isn't in the game. It's inexcusable especially in that moment.

Reactions: frag2 and MessierII

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Silly? It was a 3 second span when he wasn't doing anything, not getting in the way of anybody, just in space in LaLa Land, I don't understand how this is being glossed over by you.
Where are you seeing Nurse cover Hintz? As I said before, Drai had to circle back to chasing Hintz because he WASN'T covered.

I never did not blame anybody else. There were errors from everybody and Skinner was probably the worst culprit because you have to make that save but only one player stood there with his head in the clouds doing nothing for a good 3 second timeframe and that frustrates me a lot more than some guy skating the wrong way or even a goalie leaving that hole open for the puck to squeeze through because that shows a guy whose head isn't in the game. It's inexcusable especially in that moment.
Drai has to circle back because he isn't covering anyone. He gets to Hintz well after Nurse has forced Robertson to keep it and take it wide.

If a guy standing where he should frustrates you more than a goalie failing to make a routine beer leaguer save, I don't know what to tell you.

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
You've definitely never played hockey if you blame that last goal on Nurse. Ceci can't clear, puck hits Drai's skate and he is out of positon. Nurse isn't in the greatest position to cover Hintz but there is no reason for him to cheat over to Robertson when he's a left shot positioned on the left down low.

Oilers always leave one Dman low by the net so if you want to hate on anything blame Knob.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

View attachment 877111

he should be watching the player to his left if he goes high slot nurse goes to him if he drives the net he has to eliminate him, he cant attack robertson NO ONE IS SUPPOSED TO SCORE FROM THE GOAL LINE

except leon

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

View attachment 877111

IMO, Nurse is in the right spot initially but then in that 2 second pause he fails to shadow Hintz coming to the center of the ice and as a result he is a step behind the play.

If he reacts quicker, he would be in a better spot to break up the potential 2 on 1 and still be able to take away time and space from Robertson which could have limited the move he pulls which baffles Skinner.....

The unofficial order of fault:
1) Skinner - no question. It is a dud from him.
2) Ceci/ Drai - both go looking for the puck and both miss the puck and leave Robertson wide open.
3) Nurse - as explained not a great reaction when the play breaks

As a result you have a classic Oiler comedy of errors game losing goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad