Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’m not sure how it makes any sense to sign him if he’s not going to be playing here. If he signs, wouldn’t the Wild need to “approve” the loan back to the KHL? That sounds like something they would not do.

I’m also really confused as to how KHL contracts make it so players can’t sign with your NHL team, but a player like Firstov can just up and leave for the KHL while under contract here.
It makes sense if it takes him re-signing in the KHL for 3 years (or whatever) off the table.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Firstov's case is also a loan, so at least the formal approval from the Wild was there.

Do loans to KHL still work as usual, even after NHL and KHL terminated that agreement on respecting each other's contracts?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I'm confused. Does he want to play in the NHL or not? Is he looking for a guarantee that he won't see any AHL time? What does he want?
I don't know, I don't feel like doing some telepathy today lol.

However it was previously stated that he plans to be in the KHL next season and apparently he wouldn't mind to burn a year off his ELC at the same time with this possible loan thing.

Reactions: MuckOG

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Do loans to KHL still work as usual, even after NHL and KHL terminated that agreement on respecting each other's contracts?
Yeah, as even though the agreement is not there anymore, the business is pretty much still as usual (with the exception of that strange case of Ivan Fedotov, of course, but thankfully there wasn't anything like that since then).

Reactions: Wasted Talent

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't know, I don't feel like doing some telepathy today lol.

However it was previously stated that he plans to be in the KHL next season and apparently he wouldn't mind to burn a year off his ELC at the same time with this possible loan thing.

Ok...still seems odd that he would prefer to play in the KHL over the NHL next season. Maybe "prefer" isn't the right word as this might be the plan he has formulated with Wild brass. But, IMO, he would be all but guaranteed a roster spot on the Wild next season if he chose to come over.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Ok...still seems odd that he would prefer to play in the KHL over the NHL next season. Maybe "prefer" isn't the right word as this might be the plan he has formulated with Wild brass. But, IMO, he would be all but guaranteed a roster spot on the Wild next season if he chose to come over.
I think it very well might be that he doesn't think he is full-time NHL ready yet, he has just turned 20 after all and is still in the active development phase of the career.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I can see it from Yurov's POV, if he's thinking he doesn't want to even risk AHL time (and why would you when you can play in your home country, speak in your home tongue, have nice flights, etc.?). Right now he's, as Muck said, all but guaranteed to play in the NHL next year if he comes over. If he would like to remove the words "all but", one more year in the KHL is probably the way to do it.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I can see it from Yurov's POV, if he's thinking he doesn't want to even risk AHL time (and why would you when you can play in your home country, speak in your home tongue, have nice flights, etc.?). Right now he's, as Muck said, all but guaranteed to play in the NHL next year if he comes over. If he would like to remove the words "all but", one more year in the KHL is probably the way to do it.
I'd also add that he might be considering it sort of as a long-term risk to make the NHL earlier than he is actually ready.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Has he not watched any Wild games? He’s already a Top 6 F on this bum ass team

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do you have a weird moralistic position about players obeying the spirit of the CBA or just broad anti-russian sentiment related to world events?

Either way this is just business and entertainment, I dont take it personally but ymmv.

I don't care about the world events. I just don't see pandering to prospects. The Russian factor is a real thing, and shouldn't be encouraged by special treatment. If it was any other (non-KHL) prospect saying I'm going burn a year of my ELC to play in a Euro league instead of the AHL, he'd be told to hit the bricks.

I like the having option of sending them to the KHL (or other leagues) instead of the AHL. But only when it is the team's option and not something that is required. It's along the same lines of the U-20 CHL rules.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
$70K AHL contract vs $300K+ guaranteed in the KHL

Guerin needs to guarantee him an NHL spot next season or there’s no benefit to him coming over.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

9 FWDs under contract for next year, 6 with with NTCs
1 RFA (Dewar)
1 UFA that the GM (probably) wants to re-sign (Duhaime)
1 FWD spot (probably) reserved for a face puncher (Maroon/Reaves spot)
1 other KHL player (Marat K) that might be looking for a NHL guaranteed spot or not signing

Just the way the roster is setup, it's pretty much already set for next season (if everyone is healthy). All the prospects are really just fighting for the injury callups, not opening night starting lineup.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't care about the world events. I just don't see pandering to prospects. The Russian factor is a real thing, and shouldn't be encouraged by special treatment. If it was any other (non-KHL) prospect saying I'm going burn a year of my ELC to play in a Euro league instead of the AHL, he'd be told to hit the bricks.

I like the having option of sending them to the KHL (or other leagues) instead of the AHL. But only when it is the team's option and not something that is required. It's along the same lines of the U-20 CHL rules.
Meh, it's just a negotiable aspect of the contract that is otherwise set in stone. I don't blame the players one bit.

fgobuzz

Dec 10, 2010
Kentucky
The only problem with loaning him back to the KHL after signing with the Wild is him getting any ice time in Russia. They always seem to play games with prospects to try and get them to extend over there by lowering their TOI. Is it different if the prospect has already signed with their NHL club? It's great he'll make $300k next season in the KHL but not for his development if they cut his TOI.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The only problem with loaning him back to the KHL after signing with the Wild is him getting any ice time in Russia. They always seem to play games with prospects to try and get them to extend over there by lowering their TOI. Is it different if the prospect has already signed with their NHL club? It's great he'll make $300k next season in the KHL but not for his development if they cut his TOI.
I recommend you to take a vacation in 2024-2025, go to Magnitogorsk and watch all his games for Metallurg at their arena LIVE. Good luck.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
9 FWDs under contract for next year, 6 with with NTCs
1 RFA (Dewar)
1 UFA that the GM (probably) wants to re-sign (Duhaime)
1 FWD spot (probably) reserved for a face puncher (Maroon/Reaves spot)
1 other KHL player (Marat K) that might be looking for a NHL guaranteed spot or not signing

Just the way the roster is setup, it's pretty much already set for next season (if everyone is healthy). All the prospects are really just fighting for the injury callups, not opening night starting lineup.

My gut tells me that one of Duhaime or Dewar won't be back next season, wouldn't even be shocked if one of them were dealt at the TDL.

If the Wild brass think Yurov will be NHL-ready next season, they should be able to make room for him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Loans for signed players aren't all that common. Logically thinking, if a player is under NHL contract then a KHL team can't sign him away from the NHL club. So there isn't any reason to play ToI games and they would be better off working him like a rented mule for as long as they have him.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
My gut tells me that one of Duhaime or Dewar won't be back next season, wouldn't even be shocked if one of them were dealt at the TDL.

If the Wild brass think Yurov will be NHL-ready next season, they should be able to make room for him.
I def think duhaime is gone. Wild arent in a position where they can afford to pay bottom 6 players market rate and hes underperforming anyway. Dewar is also on the block but has another year before ufa iirc.

Bottom 6 is always the easiest place to get a bit more cap efficient and they also just need spots to try guys out. Khusnutdinov more or less has a claim on one of these spots next year barring something unforseen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

You are familiar with the GM of the Wild, right? Does this sound like something he would do?

He's been "my way or the highway" with so many other times that it seems very out of character for him to make room for anyone that is "telling" him what to do.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Loans for signed players aren't all that common. Logically thinking, if a player is under NHL contract then a KHL team can't sign him away from the NHL club. So there isn't any reason to play ToI games and they would be better off working him like a rented mule for as long as they have him.
Your do not understand how KHL-NHL relationship works.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You are familiar with the GM of the Wild, right? Does this sound like something he would do?

He's been "my way or the highway" with so many other times that it seems very out of character for him to make room for anyone that is "telling" him what to do.

Granted he was older, but Guerin had no problem guaranteeing Kaprizov a spot in the line up before he came over. IMO, its kind of a no brainer anyways....based on how he has performed in the KHL, does anyone really believe he needs to go to the AHL and work on his game before getting called up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad