Prospect Info: Danila Yurov RW/C, 24th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
PR nightmare vs losing the players rights vs just letting him leave. Wow, what a hard choice. You can’t seriously think the Wild management isn’t pissed off after he bailed on his team.
That's not what I was saying, I meant that technically there was an agreement, otherwise there wouldn't be a loan.

Mom/gf is a good cook?

Bottom line is that we don't know the kid like he and those close to him know him. If he feels he needs more time, and isn't 100% committed, stay in the KHL till he's ready.

As a Wild fan i prefer he gets over ASAP, but that might not be what's best for him.
At least judging by the video of him posted last week it sounded that he has made up his mind for the next season, the reasoning may vary of course, but from my observations usually the main reason is the development and since it has been a great year for him in that way I don't think it is surprising he wants to continue that.

Then he can sign a 1 yr deal in the KHL for next year.
Then he likely wouldn't be talking about a "loan" to play in the KHL, he'd have just signed a 1yr extension.
Signing with the Wild doesn't earn him anything different other than the possibility to play in the NHL for more money sooner. The loan possibility only favors anyone if he isn't NHL ready.
If we assume he wants to stay in Russia next year then very likely there are 3 options:

1. Signing for one year in the KHL for a very modest money.
2. Signing in the KHL for multiple years for some good money.
3. Signing NHL ELC and getting a loan to the KHL - so modest money yet an additional benefit from burning the first ELC year.

I think it is obvious that the first option is not exactly the most tempting out of those for him and for the Wild the second option is the least desirable, therefore the third option might be the middle ground here.

Reactions: MNRube

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Id wager $ that he lives with Kaprizov or Zuccarello his first year. Webster can probably chime in with what Zucc has for leftover furniture, vehicles & underwear.

But seriously, I believe they start guys at furnished apartments. Used to be the new ones along Shepherd Road in St. Paul, but for Yurov he will probably need more support given his unfamiliarity with American culture
Some of the Wolves/Wild guys(Dueys)live down in the North Loop. Some nice buildings there that start at around $2200 for a two br, usually more. Good gyms inside, you can walk to good restaurants, groceries, bars, Pro BB/football/hoops(you'll often find them there. Kramarchuk's just across the river for the Eastern euro guys. Young players often live with a roommate from the team, or sometimes in the basement of a house with an older teammate if they like the burbs.
I have no clue if Yurov and Kap know each other, but if so, I could see Kap putting him up for a season if he has the room.

Really, these are small details. Most hockey players are used to moving around, and adapting to circumstances. I would think that coming from Magnitorsk, MPLS/SPL would be a relatively easy adjustment, compared to the headspin that might happen going to NYC/ Miami, or LA. The main thing is that Yurov wants to know whether he is going to be in SPL making 900K, or 100K in Des Moines. If Guerin is being (dis?)honest, he'll tell him that he has a good chance to make the Wild, but it's up to him, and there's a chance he'll be in Iowa for a while.

Again, if i was Guerin, I would sugarcoat things a bit, and tell him that it will probably only be for a little while, and that he would be fist call up, but he can't say that publicly. What would guys like Bankier, Ohgren, Milne, Marat(?) think if they knew that spots were given, not earned?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't think they cared that much, after they saw his play. He is a longshot to be a NHL'er. Yurov is a whole different case.

Firstov only did that with the Wild's ok. They would be unlikely to do that with Yurov, if he signed here. If he is in Iowa, he can always be called up to the big club, possibly to stay. In the KHL, that's not an option. Once there he has to finish the year.
I know it was with the Wild's ok. Also, because there's no agreement, players have been called back to the NHL during the season. Nothing stopping the Wild from bringing him back if they felt the need.
I just said if they felt after seeing him in camp, they could loan him to the KHL if they thought he wasn't ready and they agreed no AHL time.

I already think that's not an issue anyway, he'd make the NHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know it was with the Wild's ok. Also, because there's no agreement, players have been called back to the NHL during the season. Nothing stopping the Wild from bringing him back if they felt the need.
I just said if they felt after seeing him in camp, they could loan him to the KHL if they thought he wasn't ready and they agreed no AHL time.

I already think that's not an issue anyway, he'd make the NHL.
KHL players, loan or not, can only come back to the NHL during the KHL season with the KHL's team terminating their agreement with the player. That almost never happens. While there is no written agreement between leagues, there is definitely an unwritten one, and neither the NHL or KHL wants to break it for all sorts of reasons.

Even if Yurov could be brought over in, say, January, from the KHL, that's way less handy than bringing him up from Iowa. The way promotions usually work is that a guy gets a few games, then goes back down and adjusts his game, then a few games more, then goes back down and adjusts some more, then finally comes back for good. Not going to happen if he is playing in Russia in season.

We all thought Marat was a shoe in to be in the NHL in 2024-25 at this time last year, many speculating that he'd be a top sixer. Now he's not a top sixer on a bad KHL team. MY point is that forecasting Yurov as an automatic NHL starter next year might be premature. He could well benefit from some top minutes down in Iowa ... we just don't know till(if?) he shows up next fall. I think we can all agree that he'd be better off playing top minutes in Iowa than grinding it out with the two Dueys on the 4th line, though that actually might be a pretty fun line to watch.

Reactions: Mancini79

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Overlooked the signing bonus. Still feel like it’s an easy choice on Yurov’s end though to stay in his home country if he’s being guaranteed more money. I’d do the same thing in his position.
More money than if he plays in the NHL? Surely he has been told he has a chance to crack the lineup? If not, Guerin is truly an idiot. His salary will probably be about 925K or so, I think.

If he doesn't come over, then he either doesn't believe he is good enough to make the big team, or has been told that he won't. Both seem off, to me. The truth is he'll probably get some of both, earning a NHL payday when he comes up, which will even the pay situation out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There's zero reason that Yurov couldn't be penciled into the 3C spot. Then it's all up to him to stay there.

Kaprizov - Rossi - Zuccarello
Johansson - Eriksson Ek - Boldy
Foligno - Yurov - Hartman
Whoever ($1M) - Dewar ($1M) - Gaudreau
Whoever ($1M)

Brodin - Faber
2LD (?) - Spurgeon
Middleton - Bogosian ($1M)
Merrill

Gustavsson
Wallstedt

$6.5M in space remaining to find a #2 LD on an $87.5M cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: MNRube and Spurgeon

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
More money than if he plays in the NHL? Surely he has been told he has a chance to crack the lineup? If not, Guerin is truly an idiot. His salary will probably be about 925K or so, I think.

If he doesn't come over, then he either doesn't believe he is good enough to make the big team, or has been told that he won't. Both seem off, to me. The truth is he'll probably get some of both, earning a NHL payday when he comes up, which will even the pay situation out.
If I'm Guerin, I'm just telling him that his deal is a quasi-one way deal and that he's got a spot guaranteed next season. I don't see any reason that they can't offer him that guarantee. Even if he struggles a bit, I think having Kaprizov around would be better for his development on the NHL team rather than down in the AHL.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
There's zero reason that Yurov couldn't be penciled into the 3C spot. Then it's all up to him to stay there.

Johansson - Eriksson Ek - Boldy
Foligno - Yurov - Hartman
Whoever ($1M) - Dewar ($1M) - Gaudreau
Whoever ($1M)

Brodin - Faber
2LD (?) - Spurgeon
Middleton - Bogosian ($1M)
Merrill

Gustavsson
Wallstedt

$6.5M in space remaining to find a #2 LD on an $87.5M cap.
There’s zero reason not to play him in the top 6. Johansson and Zucc can pound sand.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Maybe we can ease him into center after yet gets use to the nhl.

Yurov - Eriksson Ek - Boldy
Foligno - Hartman -Johansson

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe he's following the lead set by Kaprizov.

Even if Yurov could play at NHL level, it's not the place to develop one's innate skill-set. It's the place to adapt those skills to the NHL style of play.

Yurov just turned 21, he isn't a fully developed player yet. Develop fully and dominate the KHL, then go.

Reactions: vorky

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com

Even if Yurov could play at NHL level, it's not the place to develop one's innate skill-set. It's the place to adapt those skills to the NHL style of play.

Yurov just turned 21, he isn't a fully developed player yet. Develop fully and dominate the KHL, then go.
Just turned 20 though.

Reactions: 57special

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Depends on if you want to keep him at center I guess. That would be my current leaning.

If Yurov is a legit PPG NHL center, then Yurov-Rossi-Eriksson Ek is something that we maybe have never had before at that position.
I’ve only seen some highlight and stay watching. I want him to play center but in his first year and breaking him in to the system etc I’d be fine with him being on the wing.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Kap Rossi Yurov
Boldy Eek X
Johansson Hartman Zucc

Find us a legitimate scoring threat for that X and we have a top level 3 lines there assuming Yurov is what we hope.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He could be a point-per-game player eventually, but he isn't even that in the KHL yet. I want him to come over and play well, too, but it may be time to tap the breaks just a smidge here. My guess is that he could crack the NHL roster next autumn, but I'm not sure his role would be top-6, much less 1st line. My bull case for him next year would be NHL 2nd line passenger, and my bear case would be AHL top-6 forward.

He may have the upside of a point-per-game NHL forward, but he hasn't developed into that yet, and staying in the KHL may actually help him to do so. Rather than come to to America, get assigned to the AHL, and then bolt back to the KHL, I'd rather they just have him to the NHL camp and, if he doesn't make the team, loan him to Magnitogorsk and see him the year after. If that's possible, that is. I'm not sure of the timeline between NHL and KHL, but I have to imagine that Magnitogorsk would be happy to have him on their roster, even a month late.

Reactions: Wabit

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
He could be a point-per-game player eventually, but he isn't even that in the KHL yet. I want him to come over and play well, too, but it may be time to tap the breaks just a smidge here. My guess is that he could crack the NHL roster next autumn, but I'm not sure his role would be top-6, much less 1st line. My bull case for him next year would be NHL 2nd line passenger, and my bear case would be AHL top-6 forward.

He may have the upside of a point-per-game NHL forward, but he hasn't developed into that yet, and staying in the KHL may actually help him to do so. Rather than come to to America, get assigned to the AHL, and then bolt back to the KHL, I'd rather they just have him to the NHL camp and, if he doesn't make the team, loan him to Magnitogorsk and see him the year after. If that's possible, that is. I'm not sure of the timeline between NHL and KHL, but I have to imagine that Magnitogorsk would be happy to have him on their roster, even a month late.
If he keeps it up he’s looking to have the best 20yo season ever in the khl. He will be a year older next year let’s hope stronger and faster. He’s playing with men , he’s has the stature and skill. Let’s say f*** pumping the brakes and hope we found gold.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

Exactly what Yurov thinks.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
My main reason for wanting him over ASAP is that i worry that he will sign a 2-3 year KHL deal rather than a one year one. It was pretty obvious when Kaprizov came over that he wasn't just ready, but that he was overready, and could've been here a year or two earlier.

Reactions: BagHead

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’ve watched a few of his games this year. He’d be on our second line next year quite easily. Probably on the wing but if they play him at center I ultimately think he has a higher curling than Rossi fwiw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad