Dan Girardi: Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My dream:

Rangers make it SCF again this year. Game 7, Rangers are tied 2-2 with the opponent. Hank is egregiously interfered with but no call. Open net for opposition, Girardi does a heroic dive from the face off circle, defying physics, karate somersaulting in the air, and barely saves the puck with his head.

Lumbering, gassed, Girardi elects to skate up the ice with a mere few seconds in regulation remaining. The puck is passed back to him on the point. He flinches, expecting the puck to hop over his stick. But not this time. Not today. Today is his time. 9 times out of 10 that might have happened. But not this time. He lines up the buck so it is standing on its edge. Then he shoots a wicked knucklepuck. *a go pro is attached to the puck that shows every player diving away for their lives as the puck nears*. The puck goes in as the horn blares. The net had a charred hole on it.

HFNYR effectively crashes and remains down, deleting all record of my username change.

I would watch that movie.

Yeah I'd watch that too.

You can watch it, that's literally the ending to Mighty Ducks 3.

MSG*

A Giradi thread turned into an advanced stats thread where miniscule numbers are debated.

Guess what. Giradi is a selfless Ranger. He sacrifices himself for the better of the team on a Tuesday night in November. Fans that don't see what a warrior and blue blood this guy is are just blinded.

He's not an offensive talent, he's not the best skater but he sure as hell takes every bullet for this team and doesn't hurt it one bit. All the pain comes his way.

Wake up Ranger fans. Giradi is a warrior who overcame not being drafted and is one of the best defensive D men in the NHL. They don't all have to be stars.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
A Giradi thread turned into an advanced stats thread where miniscule numbers are debated.

Guess what. Giradi is a selfless Ranger. He sacrifices himself for the better of the team on a Tuesday night in November. Fans that don't see what a warrior and blue blood this guy is are just blinded.

Nobody has ever ****ing argued that Girardi "doesn't care" or is "selfish" or any of this. Ever. We all know the guy would shoot himself in the foot for this organization. It doesn't make him a good hockey player, nor does it invalidate any criticism of his ability to play hockey.

He's not an offensive talent, he's not the best skater but he sure as hell takes every bullet for this team and doesn't hurt it one bit. All the pain comes his way.

Wake up Ranger fans. Giradi is a warrior who overcame not being drafted and is one of the best defensive D men in the NHL. They don't all have to be stars.

I think you need to wake up actually because this is pretty close to objectively false.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky

Yumm, mmmmm yes. Give me all of that tasty fluff. Nom nom nom. :poutine:

It's so easy to say so much about Girardi without saying anything at all. rofl @ "one of the best defensive D men in the NHL."

:pickle:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
My dream:

Rangers make it SCF again this year. Game 7, Rangers are tied 2-2 with the opponent. Hank is egregiously interfered with but no call. Open net for opposition, Girardi does a heroic dive from the face off circle, defying physics, karate somersaulting in the air, and barely saves the puck with his head.

Lumbering, gassed, Girardi elects to skate up the ice with a mere few seconds in regulation remaining. The puck is passed back to him on the point. He flinches, expecting the puck to hop over his stick. But not this time. Not today. Today is his time. 9 times out of 10 that might have happened. But not this time. He lines up the buck so it is standing on its edge. Then he shoots a wicked knucklepuck. *a go pro is attached to the puck that shows every player diving away for their lives as the puck nears*. The puck goes in as the horn blares. The net had a charred hole on it.

HFNYR effectively crashes and remains down, deleting all record of my username change.

.01/10

Would not watch for free on Youtube.

BarbaraAlphanse

.01/10

Would not watch for free on Youtube.

W/e. Kyle Chandler already signed on to play AV.

Arnold is playing G.

Sean Astin and Elijiah Wood playing Zucc and Marty.

Miles Teller playing Kreids. Larry David playing Stepan. Mads Mikkelson playing Jesper.

Jean Claud Van Damme playing Brass. Sean William Scott playing JT.

Chris Evans playing McD. Dolph Lundgren playing Nash. Sean Avery having a cameo as Kevin Klein AND Keith Yandle. He plays both. We ran out of budget.

And finally John Hamm playing Hank.

I'd say we are doing well enough without your review, Roeper.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Unfortunately, advanced stats has brainwashing power

Further evidenced by THW article that had Duncan Keith as only the 7th best defenseman in the NHL and Jake Muzzin as 6, that's right, jake muzzin > duncan keith.......because Corsi....

leddy and stralman are also top10D in the NHL now, because Corsi.

Also, I have lurked for sometime before registering/posting, and alot of the guys ******** on Dan are guys who used to think he was a great defender and only started with the ********-on after advanced stats came into the mainstream

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Nobody has ever ****ing argued that Girardi "doesn't care" or is "selfish" or any of this. Ever. We all know the guy would shoot himself in the foot for this organization. It doesn't make him a good hockey player, nor does it invalidate any criticism of his ability to play hockey.

I think you need to wake up actually because this is pretty close to objectively false.

It also doesn't make him out to be the fringe NHLer that some claim him to be. Girardi is what he is. Is he a top pairing defenseman anymore? No. Is he still a capable defenseman? Absolutely.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

Further evidenced by THW article that had Duncan Keith as only the 7th best defenseman in the NHL and Jake Muzzin as 6, that's right, jake muzzin > duncan keith.......because Corsi....

Also, I have lurked for sometime before registering/posting, and alot of the guys ******** on Dan are guys who used to think he was a great defender and only started with the ********-on after advanced stats came into the mainstream

One ****** article from a ****** source doesn't make those rankings true. There's a lot more that goes into evaluating defenseman, which has been beaten to death over and over again regarding Girardi et al.

Girardi is what he is: he's a second-pairing defender in ability that's given stupidly difficult assignments that only elite 1D can handle.

I'll look into some numbers later, but fr, the only defensemen that have similar zone-starts and assignments to Girardi and actually have a positive possession impact are Giordano, Hamilton (seriously **** the Flames, that's not fair), Chara, Erik Johnson, and Vlasic. Hjalmarsson just misses having a CF%rel of 0. Only Giordano and Erik Johnson have a CorTeam% (which has been shown to have a greater impact on possession) lower than Girardi. Gio, Johnson, and Vlasic have a worse tCA60 than Girardi also.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

1. I dont see how its so preposterous that Stralman and Leddy are top-10 D after last season. Both had outstanding seasons, and Stralman has done it 3 seasons in a row.

2. I dont see why its such a bad thing that people's opinions change when new data comes out to the forefront. If people didn't take notice of new and improved information, we wouldn't progress. Somehow not changing your opinion based on data is somehow better?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
1. I dont see how its so preposterous that Stralman and Leddy are top-10 D after last season. Both had outstanding seasons, and Stralman has done it 3 seasons in a row.

2. I dont see why its such a bad thing that people's opinions change when new data comes out to the forefront. If people didn't take notice of new and improved information, we wouldn't progress. Somehow not changing your opinion based on data is somehow better?

Those guys are great but nowhere near elite/top10. The reasons for them being purported as top10 are because of a number. Garbage.

Analytical discussions on HFNYR usually dovetail into ******** on Dan Girardi. ****, just rename this thread the advanced stats thread, too. People use the numbers to say G is a fringe NHLer/Bottom Pairing Guy which is *********. A remark as condescdneing as that only deserves the 'play hockey' 'watch the games' response...

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I would agree theres an argument. But I still don't think its so crazy to think that Leddy and Stralman are in the top-10.

I think with Leddy it's hard to make that claim, considering the season we saw from potential top-10 d-man Ryan McDonagh this season.

Stralman has been doing it for a while now, though. IDK if I can make the claim he's a top 10 D-man, but anybody would be foolish to argue Hedman-Stralman isn't one of the best pairings in the game, if not the best.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
I havent heard a legitimate argument fir why hes a good player. Ive heard arguments where he is overused and thats why plays so horribly, but never heard anyone prove why hes good.

To me, there have been viable and very good arguments on both sides, as well as other more middle-ground angles presented (for instance, some have stated he is a solid middle pair guy cast in a first pair role he is not ideally suited for). But it's reasonable to suggest the average person will be far more inclined to deem an argument good or bad if it sits more in alignment with their own perceptions and the preconceptions they have before they even read a given argument.

BarbaraAlphanse

Are you surprised people thought McDonagh was a great defenseman when he had a Norris caliber season before he was 25 years old?

Also, he was playing injured this year.

How do you know that he was injured this whole year?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Ryan McDonagh parades an ECHL player around the ice for 82 games a year, while holding his jockstrap for him 20 minutes per game.

But on the real, you don't need to look at one season to know Ryan McDonagh is a better defenseman than Leddy. He's a proven legit #1.

And as said before, he apparently has been doing this while chained to a blackhole #8 defenseman for the past 4+ years.

BarbaraAlphanse

Ryan McDonagh parades an ECHL player around the ice for 82 games a year, while holding his jockstrap for him 20 minutes per game.

But on the real, you don't need to look at one season to know Ryan McDonagh is a better defenseman than Leddy. He's a proven legit #1.

And as said before, he apparently has been doing this while chained to a blackhole #8 defenseman for the past 4+ years.

Smh. Sometimes I hate this board.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

You do realize you're taking the whole ECHL-caliber player comment out of context right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad