Dan Girardi: Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The guy using "corgis" in every post, paying homage to someone who couldn't understand advanced metrics if they were based on kindergarten math, wonders why metrics advocates do not want to respond to him.

Actually, corsi is...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The guy using "corgis" in every post, paying homage to someone who couldn't understand advanced metrics if they were based on kindergarten math, wonders why metrics advocates do not want to respond to him.

The Rangers, as a team, have the best winning% in the last 4 seasons despite having one of the worst CF% over that same span. Vommiting a greater percentage of shot attempts than your opponent != victory over your opponent.

The team who regurgitated the greatest percentage of 'corgizzz' at the net relative to their opponent were on the golf course before the playoffs even started.

A defenseman whose job entails the accumulation of Corsi Against on an already ******/mediocre Corsi team, yeah his numbers will look ****.

Advanced stats should be much more than looking at a % of SA on a site and saying 'zomgggg Girardi sucks a$$, Boyle is a puck possession stud11!!. First pair, bro'

The fact that the corsi chucking champions didn't even make the playoffs, should discredit the current advanced stats, they have for me.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
The Rangers, as a team, have the best winning% in the last 4 seasons despite having one of the worst CF% over that same span. Vommiting a greater percentage of shot attempts than your opponent != victory over your opponent.

The team who regurgitated the greatest percentage of 'corgizzz' at the net relative to their opponent were on the golf course before the playoffs even started.

A defenseman whose job entails the accumulation of Corsi Against on an already ******/mediocre Corsi team, yeah his numbers will look ****.

Advanced stats should be much more than looking at a % of SA on a site and saying 'zomgggg Girardi sucks a$$, Boyle is a puck possession stud11!!. First pair, bro'

The fact that the corsi chucking champions didn't even make the playoffs, should discredit the current advanced stats, they have for me.

Since the beginning of the 2009-10 season:

4QOf6wN.png

gTq4ISi.png

0MY1pwm.jpg

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

When you have the best goalie in the league, it certainly explains a decent amount of that winning%. And if the Kings missing the playoffs is the reason for you to discredit possession stats, then I fond it hard to believe you ever believed in them in the first place.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Since the beginning of the 2009-10 season:

4QOf6wN.png

gTq4ISi.png

This is a good post.

I think even if you don't agree with the advanced stats, if you see this it should stop at least all outright rejection of the metrics. Wanting to get rid of/add players that would help the NYR play like these teams just seems like the best way to go about things.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm not sure it's necessarily relevant what the multi-season composite stats are when looking at individual seasons.

Just looking at unadjusted 5v5

Season Tm CF% Rank Rangers Rank/Finish
2009-10 Chi 56.5% (1) 49.5% (18 - X)
2010-11 Bos 50.7% (14) 49.1% (21 - ECQ)
2011-12 LAK 54.8% (2) 47.7% (23 - ECF)
2012-13 Chi 54.1% (4) 52.0% (9 - ECS)
2013-14 LAK 56.8% (1) 52.4% (7 - SCF)
2014-15 Chi 53.6% (2) 49.5% (20 - ECF)

Seems that Boston is a bit of an anomaly.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky

:laugh:

Says more about you than it does metrics.

I'm also not sure what the rest of you post has to do with anything, especially continually taking shots at metrics, but then expecting to have an adult conversation.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The corsi chucking champions didn't make the playoffs because of their trash goaltender who is easily the most overrated player in the league.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
The corsi chucking champions didn't make the playoffs because of their trash goaltender who is easily the most overrated player in the league.

6th in SCF% and 4th in high-dangerSCF%. Yup, they're quite the corsi chuckers.

But yeah, you're right, Quick is average. He gets overrated because of his crazy athleticism and highlight reel saves. Other than that, meh.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
6th in SCF% and 4th in high-dangerSCF%. Yup, they're quite the corsi chuckers.

But yeah, you're right, Quick is average. He gets overrated because of his crazy athleticism and highlight reel saves. Other than that, meh.

And that .946 SV%, 1.41 GAA run to the cup. Totally overrated because of that incredible performance that the lizard people took control of his body and played through him for.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
And that .946 SV%, 1.41 GAA run to the cup. Totally overrated because of that incredible performance that the lizard people took control of his body and played through him for.

So one good/great playoff run makes him the best goalie in the world even though he has been average his entire career, lol.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

And what about that .911 SV%, 2.58GAA on their other run to the Cup? I'm not discrediting his first Cup-winning playoff performance because he was phenomenal, but outside of that, he's been pretty meh.

Back on topic though, someone mentioned putting Yandle and Girardi together. If you did that, what would your other two pairings be? McDonagh-Boyle and Staal-Klein or McDonagh-Klein and Staal-Boyle?

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And what about that .911 SV%, 2.58GAA on their other run to the Cup? I'm not discrediting his first Cup-winning playoff performance because he was phenomenal, but outside of that, he's been pretty meh.

Back on topic though, someone mentioned putting Yandle and Girardi together. If you did that, what would your other two pairings be? McDonagh-Boyle and Staal-Klein or McDonagh-Klein and Staal-Boyle?

Anything to avoid Staal-Klein. That pair kills puppies.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Anything to avoid Staal-Klein. That pair kills puppies.

Good PK pairing, very poor even-strength pairing. I just don't want AV to use a Yandle-Boyle pairing, while the other 4 guys are literally drowning in defensive zone starts.

Maybe AV does try McDonagh-Klein at some point? 118 TOI together and a 51.8 CF% while getting 47.6% defensive zone starts. They have an absurd shooting% though, so I'll wait before making judgment about possible offensive production.

Yandle-Girardi only had 37 minutes togther with a 34.8 CF% and evenly distributed zone starts (13 NZ, 11 DZ, 11 OZ)

Who knows what AV will do though, or if Skjei or McIlrath will earn a spot. How our defense looks at the beginning of the season could be vastly different around the trade deadline.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Jonathan Quick is like an identical goalie to Mike Richter. The only difference is that Richter is from Pennsylvania

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Jonathan Quick is like an identical goalie to Mike Richter. The only difference is that Richter is from Pennsylvania

And I liked Richter but he was an ok goaltender who had some great years and some awful years. That's Quick.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And when Richter was on, almost no one was better. Quick is like that too

I think you can say that about just about every starter in the league though. These are the 30 best guys in the world. They're all unbeatable when they're hot.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think you can say that about just about every starter in the league though. These are the 30 best guys in the world. They're all unbeatable when they're hot.

There's definitely a lot more parity now in terms of the quality of goalies. Still, on-Quick is equal to on-Lundqvist. I honestly don't think there's anyone else who reaches that level, even when they are hot. Maybe Price.

BarbaraAlphanse

My dream:

Rangers make it SCF again this year. Game 7, Rangers are tied 2-2 with the opponent. Hank is egregiously interfered with but no call. Open net for opposition, Girardi does a heroic dive from the face off circle, defying physics, karate somersaulting in the air, and barely saves the puck with his head.

Lumbering, gassed, Girardi elects to skate up the ice with a mere few seconds in regulation remaining. The puck is passed back to him on the point. He flinches, expecting the puck to hop over his stick. But not this time. Not today. Today is his time. 9 times out of 10 that might have happened. But not this time. He lines up the buck so it is standing on its edge. Then he shoots a wicked knucklepuck. *a go pro is attached to the puck that shows every player diving away for their lives as the puck nears*. The puck goes in as the horn blares. The net had a charred hole on it.

HFNYR effectively crashes and remains down, deleting all record of my username change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad