Proposal: Dallas and Nashville

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Nichushkin has a long long way to go before he's helping any team win anything this season. We are only a few months removed from him being demoted, benched, and scratched in the playoffs.

Stars fans are going to say no because they'd rather trade Nichushkin for some help the team needs like defense or goaltending. Very few Stars fans are opposed to trading him at all. Between his questionable effort, many holes in his game, and two seasons of griping to the press about not being happy, Nichushkin is far removed from being untouchable to all but the most optimistic Stars fan.

You are incredible. He complained to the press once. He plays well defensively and his 29 points this year where the same as Janmark's who everyone seems to think is the next coming of jesus for our roster. Sure Janmark is better defensively but he also had 3 years of pro experience before coming to NA and is older.

The thing I am most impressed with Nichuskin is how much better defensively he was this year compared to his rookie year. His offense was a little dried up but he used that time to focus on being more defensively responsible. Stars fans say he is available not because he is bad, but because he is our most valuable offensive piece on a team that has too much offence to start with.

That being said I really really hope we keep him because I really doubt we have enough space to keep Sharp next year and that will make our already not great wings even weaker

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
For high-end winger we already have Forsberg, Neal, and Fiala as a blue chip prospect, for center we just have Johansen and Kamenev. Nichushkin would be a good pick-up if we can swing it, but I don't trade Kamenev for him straight up for that reason.

Yes that's a fair point. I won't argue that.
My only reasoning was because if fiala is in the nhl this season we really do not have any solid winger prospects either.

We need four top six wingers and only two centres.
We have ryjo and kamenev
For wingers we have forsberg Neal fiala smith?

I kind of feel like it's 6 to 1 or half dozen of the other.

I also feel nichushkin is more nhl ready then kamenev as he is already playing in the stars top six and I thought if nichushkin could slot in on top line wing with ryjo and Neal then we have a legit top line and legit second line for this coming season and could win with rinne before he goes totally extinct.
Kamenev is more than two years away from being a top six centre, so if ribs and fish retire we need to shop plain and simple.

So my whole reasoning behind this proposal was trying to upgrade a b prospect like kamenev into an A prospect like nichushkin at the expense of also losing Dougherty.

I also feel we can afford to move Dougherty after the insane heavy defense draft we just had and the fact that our top four is set for years to come on defense and by the time we need to replace one of them we have girard Fabbro and allard ready to go hopefully.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You are incredible. He complained to the press once.

Twice. The first time, the team denied it. The second time, the team says he admitted it but apologized. Really, in a hockey market with more media, Nichushkin's blabbing to Russian writers would have blown up into a serious issue. In Dallas, the team says everything is great, and the one media person has no choice but to report the team's marketing stance as fact.

He plays well defensively and his 29 points this year where the same as Janmark's who everyone seems to think is the next coming of jesus for our roster. Sure Janmark is better defensively but he also had 3 years of pro experience before coming to NA and is older.

Nichushkin is pretty crappy in his own end. Positionally, he's better than he was his rookie year, but it's still not good. I guess you could say he passed Hemsky on the "how good is the defense" depth chart. The problem is he still loses most of his puck battles and still is absolutely terrible at getting the puck out of the zone. His god awful play in his own end is why he got scratched in the playoffs.

Janmark gets praise because there were zero expectations for him beyond being a speedy checking winger. Janmark wasn't the 10th overall pick.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Twice. The first time, the team denied it. The second time, the team says he admitted it but apologized. Really, in a hockey market with more media, Nichushkin's blabbing to Russian writers would have blown up into a serious issue. In Dallas, the team says everything is great, and the one media person has no choice but to report the team's marketing stance as fact.

Sort of unrelated, but one of the EDM guys really trashed Taylor Hall in foreign press after he got traded. Don't these guys know it spreads world wide in a matter of minutes anymore?

As to the trade, Dallas is pretty set in roster, they won the regular season west, seem to be on the front end of their window based on the core they have put together, and need to have a real reason to shake up their chemistry. A lot of these trade proposals are sort of shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, not plugging holes in the hull.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Because we don't have a first line winger to play with Johansen and Neal.

Filip Forsberg says hello.

Besides being drafted 10th overall 3 years ago...what makes you think that Valeri Nichushkin is a first line winger anyways? He's yet to play to that potential.

Craig Smith as a winger is far better than Nichuskin and Colin Wilson could be argued as being better too.

I don't see where Nichushkin would fit into the Preds top 6. If you want an upgrade on wing for your top 6 then you'd like be better off getting a proven commodity or waiting to see how things progress with Kevin Fiala.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Filip Forsberg says hello.

Besides being drafted 10th overall 3 years ago...what makes you think that Valeri Nichushkin is a first line winger anyways? He's yet to play to that potential.

Craig Smith as a winger is far better than Nichuskin and Colin Wilson could be argued as being better too.

I don't see where Nichushkin would fit into the Preds top 6. If you want an upgrade on wing for your top 6 then you'd like be better off getting a proven commodity or waiting to see how things progress with Kevin Fiala.

Forsberg plays second line with ribeiro and smith. Laviolette doesn't want to throw forsberg Neal and ryjo together than have no other lines that can score for the life of them. Hence why we need a first line winger because rinne is getting close to being done in net. So it's either win now or get w new younger goalie.
I do not see any other potential top line wingers available that we could acquire without moving one of the big four defense so I thought nichushkin was a great option as I said I see him as a massive breakout player in the immediate future. The kid oozes talent and already plays in the stats top six.

Doesn't anyone read previous posts before just commenting?! I feel like a broken record at times.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
You are incredible. He complained to the press once. He plays well defensively and his 29 points this year where the same as Janmark's who everyone seems to think is the next coming of jesus for our roster. Sure Janmark is better defensively but he also had 3 years of pro experience before coming to NA and is older.

The thing I am most impressed with Nichuskin is how much better defensively he was this year compared to his rookie year. His offense was a little dried up but he used that time to focus on being more defensively responsible. Stars fans say he is available not because he is bad, but because he is our most valuable offensive piece on a team that has too much offence to start with.

That being said I really really hope we keep him because I really doubt we have enough space to keep Sharp next year and that will make our already not great wings even weaker

I didn't notice a marked improvement in defensive play. I feel like the positive spin to put on his 200 foot game is to say that he isn't a major liability defensively. It is definitely not a significant plus. If what you say is true he wouldn't have been benched in the playoffs.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
So where is the trade where we get a first line winger? That's our point.

I said that we cannot afford to acquire a first like forward without moving fiala and kamenev and at least one of our top four Defense, those guys are very hard to trade for. The only one out there that could be had for possibly lower than that is maybe jvr but Toronto would still want one of our top four defense and solid prospect a large kamenev, think something like ekholm and kamenev for jvr.

This way we get a very young big bodies and very very skilled winger that can play with Neal and ryjo who are also very big bodied and very skilled and hopefully mesh and all it would cost is essentially two b prospects in kamenev and Dougherty.

Nichushkin is about to break out and is just oozing with talent, he has made comments about his role in Dallas so his name has been out there before, and he already plays top six in Dallas.

If you had of been reading along instead of just jumping in with the comments you would have read this as I have typed it multiple times.

Our system has one a prospect winger prospect in fiala currently and one b prospect centre in kamenev. Kamenev will not be a second line centre in two season no matter what people say, he has still yet to play a single nhl game and with ribeiro and fisher and sissons as bottom three centres after ryjo I don't see kamenev playing much this year either, needs to develop in Milwaukee anyways.

If we made this trade we then have a top six of:

Nichushkin ryjo Neal
Fiala ribeiro forsberg

Then we worry about signing a 50-55 point centre next offseason and that's our only job next offseason. And a second line centre is a lot easier to acquire via free agency or trade then a first line winger.

And Dougherty as part of trade makes sense after the defense heavy draft we just had, by the time one of our top four defense needs replacing we have girard Fabbro or allard ready to go.

Taking chance on nichushkin is better than trading the farm plus a top four defense for a current first line winger. Get it now?

Last edited by a moderator:

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Preds fan here. I'd like to acquire Nich, but that price is too steep. He slumped a bit, but sometimes guys do that. I'm not buying that he's a total bust.

However, Kamenev is a good bet to be as good as Nich when he gets to the NHL over the long run and fits better in the Preds plans as a 2C, and Dougherty looks solid as well in addition to being only 1 of 2 notable D-prospects on the Preds.

I'm trying to come up with a counter, but can't come up with anything that I think Dallas would accept that would be acceptable to the Preds.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Wait, is the OP a Nashville fan? Why do you think you need more wingers?

Nashville does need another top six winger as it's safe to assume Wilson will continue his disappointing regular season play, but we don't really need to be trading for any players in order to fill that spot unless a great deal for someone like JVR comes around. However, Toronto would almost certainly want Ellis, and we shouldn't make that deal.

If we are trading for potential we would be better off either hoping that two of Smith, Wilson or Fiala are able to cover the roles, with Jarnkrok being able to be slotted in again if more time is needed. So yeah, we do have a need, but it isn't nearly as pressing an issue as some make it out to be. With Neal and Joey on the top line it isn't as if there is a huge weakness there. Forsberg could be slotted there if needed. Smith is a fairly consistent second line producer with multiple 20 goal seasons under his belt. Wilson had the ability; he has shown it before in the playoffs, but for some reason just cannot be consistent in the regular season. Fiala has a ton of potential, but it may be better to have him come up playing on the third line to start the season. That leaves Jarnkrok to cover the top line spot again, which he did well at this past season even if he didn't set the world on first with his scoring.

A bigger need is second line center, which is exactly why Kamenev should be kept. I get the OP's thinking, but I don't agree with it. If a deal can be made using Dougherty and something else that isn't Kamenev or Fiala or a roster defenseman/top six winger I'd be OK with making the move, but right now I think we are better off just going with what we have already in the system. The trade deadline could provide some short-term help for a playoff run. There's no sense in hitting the panic button yet, especially since that panic button would likely jettison our best center prospect.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
For high-end winger we already have Forsberg, Neal, and Fiala as a blue chip prospect, for center we just have Johansen and Kamenev. Nichushkin would be a good pick-up if we can swing it, but I don't trade Kamenev for him straight up for that reason.

Soon you will also have Plekanec.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The kid oozes talent and already plays in the stats top six.

Nichushkin has spent most of his time with the top six because playing with great players is the best place to hide him. He doesn't play a checking game or defensive game, so he's a poor fit on the lower lines.

If you want to know what the coaches really think of his oozing talent, look at the fact Nichushkin never played on the top PP unit and only rarely got ice time with the second PP unit. Essentially, Nichushkin only got on the PP when injuries eliminated the many forwards ahead of him on the talent depth chart.

I can't help but wonder if you have seen many of his NHL games.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Nichushkin has spent most of his time with the top six because playing with great players is the best place to hide him. He doesn't play a checking game or defensive game, so he's a poor fit on the lower lines.

If you want to know what the coaches really think of his oozing talent, look at the fact Nichushkin never played on the top PP unit and only rarely got ice time with the second PP unit. Essentially, Nichushkin only got on the PP when injuries eliminated the many forwards ahead of him on the talent depth chart.

How old is he? Do you expect him to take powerplay time away from the likes of benn, seguin, sharp, spezza, etc??

The kid has loads of talent and anyone that watches the draft and/or nichushkin knows this. Are you saying he is a flop at the age of 21??
What I am saying is Dallas has more offense then we do, and putting him with two studs like Neal and ryjo on first like could really help him break out big time, and we know he has that potential to do so. Like I said before in this thread, I see nichushkin on the verge of becoming a force soon in the league, just getting things together.
He sure as hell cant be worse than us using Jarnkrok on the first line, small little guy without any kind of elite talent nichushkin possesses.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
How old is he? Do you expect him to take powerplay time away from the likes of benn, seguin, sharp, spezza, etc??

The kid has loads of talent and anyone that watches the draft and/or nichushkin knows this. Are you saying he is a flop at the age of 21??
What I am saying is Dallas has more offense then we do, and putting him with two studs like Neal and ryjo on first like could really help him break out big time, and we know he has that potential to do so. Like I said before in this thread, I see nichushkin on the verge of becoming a force soon in the league, just getting things together.
He sure as hell cant be worse than us using Jarnkrok on the first line, small little guy without any kind of elite talent nichushkin possesses.

If he is on a line with all of that offensive talent in Dallas and can't perform, what makes you think he will here? This tells me all I need to know about him.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

You realize who we have on our top PP right? No kid will replace Benn Seguin Sharp or Spezza and out top PP unit plays most of the PP time. His lack of PP time is because he have 4 very very good PP players not because he is bad. He hasn't been given a shot there and our second unit is bad because our first one is so top heavy.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If he is on a line with all of that offensive talent in Dallas and can't perform, what makes you think he will here? This tells me all I need to know about him.

He's not on a crazy offensive line. He got bounced around and then at the end ended up with Janmark and Spezza. Sure Spezza is good but Janmark is no offensive wiz, about on par with Nichushkin

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I said that we cannot afford to acquire a first like forward without moving fiala and kamenev and at least one of our top four Defense, those guys are very hard to trade for. The only one out there that could be had for possibly lower than that is maybe jvr but Toronto would still want one of our top four defense and solid prospect a large kamenev, think something like ekholm and kamenev for jvr.

This way we get a very young big bodies and very very skilled winger that can play with Neal and ryjo who are also very big bodied and very skilled and hopefully mesh and all it would cost is essentially two b prospects in kamenev and Dougherty.

Nichushkin is about to break out and is just oozing with talent, he has made comments about his role in Dallas so his name has been out there before, and he already plays top six in Dallas.

If you had of been reading along instead of just jumping in with the comments you would have read this as I have typed it multiple times.

Our system has one a prospect winger prospect in fiala currently and one b prospect centre in kamenev. Kamenev will not be a second line centre in two season no matter what people say, he has still yet to play a single nhl game and with ribeiro and fisher and sissons as bottom three centres after ryjo I don't see kamenev playing much this year either, needs to develop in Milwaukee anyways.

If we made this trade we then have a top six of:

Nichushkin ryjo Neal
Fiala ribeiro forsberg

Then we worry about signing a 50-55 point centre next offseason and that's our only job next offseason. And a second line centre is a lot easier to acquire via free agency or trade then a first line winger.

And Dougherty as part of trade makes sense after the defense heavy draft we just had, by the time one of our top four defense needs replacing we have girard Fabbro or allard ready to go.

Taking chance on nichushkin is better than trading the farm plus a top four defense for a current first line winger. Get it now?

i'm looking at all the centers that will be UFA after next season. Available centers that have ever been in the 50 or above point range (in decreasing point value from last season) Thornton (82 and would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't stay in San Jose), Ribeiro (50), Hanzal (40), Desharnais (29), Bonino (29), Fisher (23), and Berglund (15). Not exactly as easy as you are trying to make it sound. We would likely have to trade for someone or re-sign Ribeiro

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
To Nashville : nichushkin
To Dallas : kamenev and Dougherty

Now before, I get anything thrown in my face, I am a Nichushkin fan. I actually highly coveted him in his draft class and would like to see him in Preds gold if there was a deal to be made.

With that said, like has been mentioned, why would we trade our best center prospect, arguably best overall prospect (in the conversation w/ Fiala & Saros) for a kid that has 64 points in his 2 full seasons of work? He plays with talented guys, when he's not being moved around to the 3rd line by Lindy, you'd think for a top 10 pick there would be slightly more production with the talent that Dallas has through the lineup. Fiala, could put up 14 goals in a season, he just hasn't had the chance yet.

Yes, he's 21 and has tons of room to grow, but he's already unhappy with his situation in Dallas, has been linked to the KHL because of said unhappiness. I know there have been reports that refute that and that he wants to stay in the NHL but on top of our best C prospect, you're throwing in our 2nd best defensive prospect. I know it would take a good offer to get him, but take Kamenev out.

I'd entertain a deal with Dougherty involved, but not both. Wilson + possibly and that's to move the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
i'm looking at all the centers that will be UFA after next season. Available centers that have ever been in the 50 or above point range (in decreasing point value from last season) Thornton (82 and would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't stay in San Jose), Ribeiro (50), Hanzal (40), Desharnais (29), Bonino (29), Fisher (23), and Berglund (15). Not exactly as easy as you are trying to make it sound. We would likely have to trade for someone or re-sign Ribeiro

We usually trade for most of our guys anyways never really been a free agent haven. Easier to trade for a 50 point centre than a first line winger imo.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

If you think Jarnkrok on first line is better than nichushkin that tells me all I need to know about your knowledge. Do a little research on nichushkin bro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad