Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Miro Heiskanen signs extension with the Stars (8 years, $8.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
you realize that Makar is nearly a PPG for his career and finished as runner up to Fox who was the youngest Norris trophy winner in forever.

Heis is good but I don’t see him winning every Norris trophy coming up, especially over those guys.

Heiskanen was a PPG through four rounds of the playoffs, when it's way tougher to score and was elite on the defensive end. And he did it on a MUCH lower scoring team than Colorado.

You can't discount a voted award where idiots only vote for points, but Heiskanen is better than both; or at least he was in the playoffs last year.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If Miro played for a team with a different system, I’d feel confident that he’d be seen as easily the best young dman in the league. By far the best young D in his own zone and he excels in transition. His point total takes a hit due to the team he’s on, but anyone that does more than stat watch realizes how stupid good he is.

It’s funny how Dallas had Zubov in the era when Norris voters held defensive play in the highest regard, and Miro in the era when points are all that really matter.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
If Miro played for a team with a different system, I’d feel confident that he’d be seen as easily the best young dman in the league. By far the best young D in his own zone and he excels in transition. His point total takes a hit due to the team he’s on, but anyone that does more than stat watch realizes how stupid good he is.

It’s funny how Dallas had Zubov in the era when Norris voters held defensive play in the highest regard, and Miro in the era when points are all that really matter.
100% this

Petskuta

May 15, 2011
Seems fair. To the people who think this is overpayment: he'll be 29 at the end of the deal, and the market should look drastically different in 5-7 years. Remember when people went crazy about Draisaitl's ~$8M AAV deal a couple of years back? Even in today's flat cap, that's cheap. This might end up looking similar in a few years. Once the cap starts rising, which it inevitably will at some point, we'll see D-men sign for north of $10M.

Of course, the 8-year term has it's risks with injuries etc, but there probably isn't a better age (and a proven track record so far) to sign a long deal.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Excellent deal for Dallas. very likely that hell outperform this contract, and when the cap jumps in a few years this contract will seem quite pedestrian.

Reactions: pbatx

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Apparently most valuable contract signed by any defender after a rookie contract. Thomas Chabot was the old record holder. Not sure if that was mentioned here yet.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
That's a big number, but fair. Kinda screws the Rangers a bit. They never expected Fox to be this good this fast. He's a free agent next year. I'm sure in their budget forecasts a year ago, they weren't planning on a long term $9M contract on top of Trouba's $8M.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Very fair deal on what is arguably the best adman in the league and is signed through his prime. Not many I’d pick ahead of him if having a fantasy draft building a team from scratch . Kid us amazing defensively and offensively and in transition .

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think it’s a bit of an overpayment after his last season, but it will be a good contract in time.

The Stars probably could have squeezed a little more, but they got a huge piece locked down for the remainder of his prime.

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'm a little disappointed it wasn't a bridge deal because I've got concerns how he's gonna play going forward based on how COVID affected him last season, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Seems like a win win for both sides.

Whether it's a win for Dallas will be determined when he lives up to expectations of his extension, the team succeeds more consistently, and cap goes up.

Right now, I call it a win only for Miro because he/his agent really had the leverage. The team needs him more than he does the team.

This just made Klingberg's extension in the $9M+ range.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Reminds me of Ekblad's big deal.
Looked really questionable the first two years (injuries were a big factor) but now it looks like a steal.

this is a really good comp. miro is being overrated in this thread quite a bit. The numbers don’t really justify the praise. He looks like a top pair d who generates very little offense and plays good d in a good system. People calling him top 2 are crazy but he’s very very good.

lots of words. But my main point is this. You don’t get into trouble very often by paying really good players a little too much unless you do it for too long (if they are old), too little (if they are young hi auston) or if you do it too often. Miro still has a ways to develop and looks like 75-85% likely to his his astronomically high ceiling. This is a risk but i,wouldn’t worry about it if I were as Dallas fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad